PDA

View Full Version : Winchester USA9JHP2 - used in Wolberg Study?

Aurispector
01-23-10, 21:11
In Eugene Wolberg's 1991 study "Performance of the Winchester 9mm 147 Grain Subsonic JHP Bullet in Human Tissue and Tissue Simulant " published in the Journal of the International Wound Ballistics Association, exactly which bullet was studied?

The study does not seem to mention the model number of the bullet in question. As it has been over 20 years since the data was collected and JHP design has advanced, it seems reasonable that Winchester might retain the tooling for older JHP designs and simply cascade that equipment down to their low cost product line. Their current least expensive JHP is the commonly available "white box" "USA" line. The 9mm 147 grain JHP model number is "USA9JHP2".

Could this be the same bullet? And has anyone done any formal penetration and expansion testing for this round? The apparent excellent performance of the bullet in the study leads me to suspect that if USA9JHP2 uses the same bullet, it would be a very reasonably priced alternative where choices are limited.

Beat Trash
01-27-10, 22:02
Our agency has used the same issued duty ammo since transitioning from revolvers.

It is the Winchester 147gr subsonic JHP. It originally came in boxes marked "for Law Enforcement Only". Later it was shipped in silver boxes. Currently it comes in the white boxes, marked USA9JHP2.

The only difference is the original rounds that were first marked LE sales only had crimped primers. The primers are no longer crimped.

According to our Winchester sales rep, the round is the same, just the packaging has changed. I can not comment though on the rounds used in the Wolberg study, As I m not familiar with it.

DocGKR
01-27-10, 22:55
When I last spoke with Mr. Wolberg in May of 2000, he had collected data on nearly 150 OIS incidents--the first 1/3 or so were with Winchester 147 gr JHP (Q4217), the second 2/3 with Federal 147 gr JHP (9MS).

Aurispector
01-29-10, 14:15
Thank you for the information. It's all very interesting and makes me think the older Q4217 round may have simply been repackaged. There is no longer any reference to the Q4217 on their website.
I can't think of any reason why Winchester would ditch a perfectly good production line and create new tooling just to produce the low priced "value" USAJHP2. The only ones who could definitively answer this question would be the Winchester folks themselves, but if I had to play I hunch I'd guess it's the exact same round.

Thanks again.