PDA

View Full Version : Your perfect all use AR.

MOA
01-23-10, 22:20
Just what the title says. What would your perfect "you can have only one" AR be? Be specific. Not just 16" middy or 10.5" SBR. I want to see what every one deems a requirment, ans what is just popular. Say why you would want certain parts. say your use for your AR. Think this could be a good tool for noobs like me to see whats what and where people would spend money. Pics if you've built it would be great. I would love to start, but I don't know jack, just what I've read.

I searched this and found nothing. If its out there delete and direct me via PM to it.

Belmont31R
01-23-10, 22:44
Ive owned quite a few AR's, and my favorite so far has been the KAC SR15.

16" barrel is short enough to do most anything while not rifle length.

Gas system design makes for very smooth operation. Its not jerky like a carbine.

Rail length is long enough to do anything yet short enough you arent adding unnessessary weight and length.

Bolt design is better for longevity and positive extraction.

Ambi-controls give you more options.

Accurate enough for anything I will ever use it for.

I think the 16" mid length is the best "all around" system out there. SBR's are great for CQB but are harsher on parts, and reduce ballistic effectiveness. Rifle length is great for ballistics but sucks for CQB, getting into and out of vehicles, etc. I like the SR15 enough I am seriously thinking about getting another, and setting it up the same way as the one I have now. Ive also owned a BCM midlength w/ a LaRue 9.0, and a LaRue Stealth 16"/12". The LaRue was very reliable and a good shooter but the barrel is a heavy SOB. I sold the BCM without shooting it after deciding to get the SR15. I added the price up between the KAC, and a similar BCM gun. The price difference was less than $200.

graffex
01-23-10, 22:46
This is kinda like asking people what there favorite color is...

You shouldn't worry about what's popular, but what works for you. Just get a quality AR ( Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske), and take a good carbine course.

decodeddiesel
01-23-10, 22:59
The SR-15 is really nice, and probably would be my choice as well, but if I could pick any AR it would be a Colt M4A1.

jhs1969
01-23-10, 23:22
I would say a quality carbine and a RDS, a white light and a quality sling.

kmrtnsn
01-23-10, 23:26
I find the RECCE concept is about as good a jack of all trades AR as can be built.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac347/kmrtnsn/IMG_0247-1.jpg?t=1264313132

Blob
01-23-10, 23:28
This is kinda like asking people what there favorite color is...

You shouldn't worry about what's popular, but what works for you. Just get a quality AR ( Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske), and take a good carbine course.

This is true. It took me a few thousand rounds to figure out exactly what I needed and wanted, and it would probably be the same for you.

LMTRocks
01-23-10, 23:39
My perfect AR? It'd be the Canned SBR I'm planning right now:
12.5" 6.5G carbine .750 bbl
JP/VTac rifle length HG
lo-pro gas block
LMT SOPMOD stock
Aimpoint M4S
TangoDown vfg
Streamlight TLR-2 or Surefire X400 on remote switch
Yankee hill .308 can

MOA
01-23-10, 23:47
This isn't just to see whats popular, but what works. It will help people see the options. A lot of the people on here have put more rounds down range than most of us could dream. This is to apply that practical experience to a common good. I don't care whats popular, but if people say what parts they like and why it gives more info into the equation. I don't want to buy a AR just to go "well, this was wrong. Lets sell it for a lose and try again." As new people to the AR world many off us don't know what we like, so your knowledge gives us a opinion and if you are in depth enough some real world reasons like "run this rail cause it in narrower across the sides and slightly shorter on botton to be more comfy in the hand while still offering a true full length upper that matches the reciever" kind of thing. Chances are if something that we as noobs feel we need and there is one that is very popular we should consider it.

Cameron
01-23-10, 23:55
I find the RECCE concept is about as good a jack of all trades AR as can be built.

I agree that a 16" mid-length set up like the Recce rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle) would the closest to the "do it all" AR15. It is the sweet spot of size, weight, balance and velocity that would have the largest operating envelope. It can be used as an entry carbine but also make hits to 800M. It can shoot 3-gun matches, take deer, hogs or prairie dogs...

Here is the rifle that I put together to be my "do it all" "Sport Utility Carbine" "Recce Rifle". It is light weight, well balanced and very accurate, I shoot it nearly as fast at close range as my EOTech equipped SBR.

Daniel Defense complete upper with a 16" mid-length gas stainless LW50 7" twist barrel. LMT 2 stage lower. Optic is a Leupold MK4 1.5-5 SPR obviously the furniture and accessories are dictated by personal taste.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4299800716_9b77be9686_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4295713561_018c8ca04e_o.jpg

Cameron

jp0319
01-24-10, 06:59
My all around "all use" AR would be the following (most of which I am using for my current build)

1. Noveske 14.5" middy SS barrel: (with pinned FH) shortest legally attainable barrel length + ss bbl accuracy and Noveske durability
2. AAC Blackout m4 2000 FH/Mount
3. PRI rifle length black handguard: light weight
4. Mega Forged Upper
5: KAC Micro 200-600 m rear BUIS
6: KAC Micro M4 flip up front BUIS: alternate would be Troy flip up front
7: Bravo Company Complete Lower: Got this from Grant good price
8: Magpul CTR stock
9: Magpul ASAP plate
10: Magpul MS2 Sling
11: CQD front attachement point for MS2 (when used as 2 point)
12: Larue FUG (because I had an extra): alternate would be Tango down Stubby Battle Grip with QD
13: Magpul PMAGs: Obviously for reliability
14: Quality 1-4x optic: I am leaning to the Accupoint due to price
15: Larue Tactical LT139 mount
16: Surefire X300 light

That would and IS my all around carbine which can do it all, Close range, Medium Range and its as short as legally possible. I will post pictures as soon as I return to the states and get everything put together.

JP

RustedAce
01-24-10, 07:14
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6522/p8110017.jpg

Robb Jensen
01-24-10, 08:54
BCM lower with a Noveske or Daniel Defense QD end plate. BCM M4 stock or LMT/KAC SOPMOD stock.
Geissele SSA trigger.
BCM 16" midlength upper (either chrome lined one) with Gunfighter charging handle and a BCM M16 BCG. 9" Daniel Defense Lite Rail.

Gutshot John
01-24-10, 09:50
My perfect GP AR was built by Grant and like others it's essentially the RECCE concept.

16" N4 barrel with midlength gas system. LMT lower with VLTOR VIS upper. 3x30 ACOG.

akgunnut
01-24-10, 10:18
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/IMGP0289.jpg

kmrtnsn
01-24-10, 11:16
A common theme in the responses seems to be the use of a 16" barrel with a collapsible stock.

Thoughts on optics? I am a big fan of the 1-4X with a MRD for this particular application, others?

Robb Jensen
01-24-10, 11:26
A common theme in the responses seems to be the use of a 16" barrel with a collapsible stock.

Thoughts on optics? I am a big fan of the 1-4X with a MRD for this particular application, others?

Aimpoint M4S.

HeavyDuty
01-24-10, 11:43
I've been trying to spec out my next build for a month or two now - this is for a general use carbine that I expect to be my go-to gun. My current thinking:

* AGP lower receiver with CTR stock, MOE PG and Enhanced TG
* Either a Vltor MUR-1A or BCM A3 upper receiver
* 16" pencil profile 1:7 midlength with .625" "F" FSB and Phantom FH
* 9" DD Lite rail with Magpul XTM rail covers
* Magpul ASAP and a HG loop for 1/2 HK hook slinging using a Boonie Packer TQA
* Troy rear BUIS
* EOTech XPS2
* Streamlight TLR-1

Sourcing the barrel has been my greatest challenge, followed by the fact AGP isn't currently accepting custom receiver marking orders. Throwing money at ADCO for a full reprofile is one possible barrel solution.

RogerinTPA
01-24-10, 17:18
Mine is also a Recce type:

Sabre Defense Middy 16" upper 1:7
Colt Sporter lower
DD 9.0 rail W/XTM rail panels
DD QD End Plate
Magpul ACS Stock
Magpul MOE grip
TD VFG
BCM Gunfighter CH Mod4
Magpul Bad Lever
BFG Redi-Mod
MI FSB Light mount with Streamlight TRL1.
Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22

To add: Krylon camo paint job in the future.

ckay
01-24-10, 17:45
Just finished my all use RECCE:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ckaynyc/RECCE.jpg

S391
01-24-10, 18:44
Silly question, what does "RECCE" mean?

HeavyDuty
01-24-10, 19:15
It's a delicious combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

mark5pt56
01-24-10, 19:19
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recce

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/recce

G-lock
01-24-10, 21:16
I'm pretty partial to this since I just built it.

BCM Mid-length Upper
1X7, CL, MP, HP, 5.56X45 Chamber
DD Full-Auto Bolt Carrier assembly
BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Charging Handle
A2 Flash Hider
RRA Middy Handguards, till Magpul's are out.
Troy/Larue BUIS
Eotech 516
3x Mag in Larue Flip mount

Sabre Defense Lower
CMMG LPK
Vltor Sling mount
MIL-Spec Magpul ACS Stock
B.A.D. Lever
Tango Down Battle Grip
KAC Ambi-safety

PICS!!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/Mitzelj2011/NEWBCMWEB1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/Mitzelj2011/NEWBCMWEB2.jpg

Jeff

01-25-10, 02:37
At the moment, I'm liking my 20 inch gun. Generally looks like this:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/borg103/DSC_0056-2.jpg
(Though now with a normal lower.)

Boss Hogg
01-25-10, 07:55
Mine would echo much of the sentiment above, but would have to have a Burris XTR or Trijicon Accupoint. The versatility of those optics is hard to beat.

Ash Hess
01-25-10, 10:37
I would have to go with....

Colt
14.5in 1/7 twist 5.56 chamber
ACOG
KAC carbine length rail but maybe the DD FSP rail
MIAD grip

I trusted this setup for 40 months of combat ops. Proven to work from 10-800

MOA
01-25-10, 11:13
Ckay-looks like a Vltor VIS upper with a noveske 16" stainless barrel, MOE grip, KNS anti rotation pins, what else? Whats that scope? When I build my rifle I want a low mag variable.

ckay
01-27-10, 22:21
Ckay-looks like a Vltor VIS upper with a noveske 16" stainless barrel, MOE grip, KNS anti rotation pins, what else? Whats that scope? When I build my rifle I want a low mag variable.
VIS/Noveske marked 12" upper
16" stainless Noveske barrel
Noveske lower
Troy Di Optic rear and M4 front
MIAD grip
UBR
PWS comp
Colt LPK w/ RRA two stage
Nightforce 1-4x on an LT SPR

A few words about the optic. I came off of an EOTech and Comp M4. Favored these for the ability to keep both eyes open for target acquisition. The EOTech was fastest, but the Aimpoint had much better battery life. I was going to go with an ACOG for a bit of magnification but I needed a 1x option and mounting a Docter on top of an ACOG didn't make much sense to me.

With that in mind, I considered the SB Short Dot, and Accupoint but I favor the Mil-Dot reticles from my love of precision shooting. I opted for the Nightforce as that is what my precision AR10 build sports. The 1-4 allows for both eyes open, 1/4 clicks, clear sight picture, the reticle I favor, and illumination for those less than bright days. It also acquires targets surprisingly quick...it's quicker than an ACOG due to the ability to go 1x.

It truly is a great optic, and the best alternative to the Short Dot especially at the price point. I would put this at the top of the list, the Short Dot(due to price) second, and the Burris/Accupoint 3rd. The new Leupold 1-8 is the cat's meow though. That is going to be one bad ass piece of glass...well excluding the busy reticle.

I built this rifle and ended up selling my 14.5" w/ Comp M4 and 16" middy with EOTech as this build will do everything for me from SHTF to sub MOA to 300yds. Yes, this set up is sub 3" at 300 with 69gr Prvi Match on a 5 shot group.

edwin907
01-28-10, 12:19
If I couldn't pick the CQB MRP with 10.5" and 16" barrels and multiple optics I'd have to go with my Recce.

Might "upgrade" it to a NSX 2.5-10X32 with RMR on a SAR mount if I was truly faced with a single AR world.
But the TA11C (and the UNS for after dark) is more than adequate 'cause I always have my Geovid 10X42 with me.

16" Krieger, OPS 12th, TA11C, Bushmaster lower with LMT 2-stage trigger/LPK/bolt/H buffer, DD 12 rail, Troy BUIS, LB chrome bolt carrier, PRI gas buster/big latch, SOPMOD, KAC QD sling mounts, Hogue grip.

This rifle is a combination of perfect reliability and stunning accuracy without too much of a weight penalty.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_A216535.jpg

rob_s
01-28-10, 12:31
I have never encountered a situation with a carbine that I could not address with this one. Cannot think of a single thing I'd ever want or need to do with a carbine that I can't do with this one.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/tacticalyellowvisor/2009%20EAG%20Carbine/IMG_0580Large.jpg

Overton-AR
01-28-10, 12:32
My perfect "one gun" setup would be as follows.......

Forged lower (Bill Springfield 4 lb trigger inside)
M4 flat top upper (VLTOR would be nice)
Full Auto BCG (BCM or LMT)
BCM GunFighter charge handle
14.5" WHITE OAK stainless barrel w/ Wylde Chamber and middy gas
Pinned Vortex with Gemtech Bi-Lock lugs (keeps suppressor options open)
Larue 11" or 12" rail system
VLTOR EMOD mil-spec stock
Tango Down BG-16 grip
Troy Flip Up back up iron sights
Trijicon ACOG TA11 (red donut reticle) on Larue Mount

By the way, I will pics of this gun by the end of the weekend. I am building it TOMORROW. :D

C4IGrant
01-28-10, 12:49
Just what the title says. What would your perfect "you can have only one" AR be? Be specific. Not just 16" middy or 10.5" SBR. I want to see what every one deems a requirment, ans what is just popular. Say why you would want certain parts. say your use for your AR. Think this could be a good tool for noobs like me to see whats what and where people would spend money. Pics if you've built it would be great. I would love to start, but I don't know jack, just what I've read.

I searched this and found nothing. If its out there delete and direct me via PM to it.

If I could have only one, it would be the SUV of the AR world:

16" Middy (hammer forged) barrel.
VLTOR VIS (10")
Troy Flip up sights.
1-4 Variable scope
VLTOR or Magpul collapsible stock
DD Lower
Geis. SSA Trigger
SureFire K Suppressor

C4

9DivDoc
01-28-10, 12:57

IMO there is no such thing as a "perfect use" AR-15 anymore than there
is a "perfect use" golf club

There is a reason there are so many in a bag

Each person ..each circumstance...each scenario may very well demand a different
version of the same weapon.

A 100 lb middle age woman living in rural N Dakota on a small family farm
may find a completely different weapon more suited to her needs than an able
bodied former military operator living in Miami, or an 18 yr old computer science
student living in Madison,WI waiting for TEOTWAWKI.

That being said a BCM middie with a railed forearm an Aimpoint micro with Troy BUIS
Magpul Pgrip and CTR stock with about 100 20 Rd PMags a good light a sling and a hundred thousand rounds downrange after a decent carbine course.

That'd be my best advice.

ckay
01-28-10, 17:38
IMO there is no such thing as a "perfect use" AR-15 anymore than there
is a "perfect use" golf club

There is a reason there are so many in a bag

Each person ..each circumstance...each scenario may very well demand a different
version of the same weapon.

A 100 lb middle age woman living in rural N Dakota on a small family farm
may find a completely different weapon more suited to her needs than an able
bodied former military operator living in Miami, or an 18 yr old computer science
student living in Madison,WI waiting for TEOTWAWKI.

That being said a BCM middie with a railed forearm an Aimpoint micro with Troy BUIS
Magpul Pgrip and CTR stock with about 100 20 Rd PMags a good light a sling and a hundred thousand rounds downrange after a decent carbine course.

That'd be my best advice.

Key word here is YOUR :rolleyes:

wild_wild_wes
01-28-10, 21:04
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/pseudonominus/010.jpg

16" midlength midweight....16" pencil might be better, but no one makes them.