PDA

View Full Version : Safest method to do a Chamber check on Hammer Gun

Pappabear
01-24-10, 01:11
With my striker handguns I am never hesitant to do a chamber check-No hammer.
On my 1911's, the hammer is back, so no hammer worries.
I am fairly new to my FNP 45 and HK45. And I am always uncomfortable doing a chamber check with those guns. I don't want to manually pull the hammer down to make it easier to slide the slide, for fear it will "drop".

Hence, my question:whats the safest way to do a chamber check on FNP and HK45's. Often, I use the de-cocker even though I am a 1911 guy when stored as HD weapon. I will run C & Locked for carry. I do not know the internals well enough to know what is the safest. Thanks in advance for the expert opinions.

SWATcop556
01-24-10, 01:29
When I had to carry a Sig 226 as an issued weapon it was the DA/SA model. I don't know if it was the safest or correct way but I started by cocking the hammer back and then doing a 1911 style press check. I then used the decocker to make the weapon ready for carry. After a while I found I could safely pull the slide back far enough to do a chamber check without having to cock the hammer and began to check that way.

Not sure on either of the pistols you mentioned as I have no hands-on experience with them. Most modern pistols have reliable loaded chamber indicators but I still like to see brass. That's just me though.

skyugo
01-24-10, 01:29
i'd say cock the hammer and put the safety on.

ToddG
01-24-10, 08:31
For a gun with a cocking hammer (i.e., traditional double/single action), I highly recommend cocking the hammer manually. If the gun has a firing pin block -- which every decent modern TDA gun has -- then there is no danger of having an AD if the hammer "slips" and drops. But cocking the hammer first means you only have to overcome the recoil spring resistance rather than both the recoil & mainsprings.

For DAO (including DAK, LEM, LDA, etc.) guns that cannot have a cocked hammer, you just need to pull the slide.

I find that pushing my trigger finger into the slide above the trigger guard gives me more control over the slide's movement because I can add or reduce the resistance by changing how much pressure I apply pushing into the slide. YMMV.

Pappabear
01-24-10, 11:08
For a gun with a cocking hammer (i.e., traditional double/single action), I highly recommend cocking the hammer manually. If the gun has a firing pin block -- which every decent modern TDA gun has -- then there is no danger of having an AD if the hammer "slips" and drops. But cocking the hammer first means you only have to overcome the recoil spring resistance rather than both the recoil & mainsprings.

For DAO (including DAK, LEM, LDA, etc.) guns that cannot have a cocked hammer, you just need to pull the slide.

I find that pushing my trigger finger into the slide above the trigger guard gives me more control over the slide's movement because I can add or reduce the resistance by changing how much pressure I apply pushing into the slide. YMMV.

Todd, thank you. That is what concerned me, dropping the hammer for AD.

Alpha Sierra
01-24-10, 14:49
Agreed

DacoRoman
01-24-10, 21:05
i'd say cock the hammer and put the safety on.

That works with a gun that will allow you to do this, e.g. with a USP, but with a 1911 once you cock it and put the safety on, the slide is locked in place by the safety.

With my 1911 I just make sure I'm obeying the cardinal safety rules including finger off the trigger and indexed along side the frame and muzzle pointed in a safe direction, cock the gun, and chamber check. I then engage the manual safety, tap and pull the mag to make sure its seated, and then holster the gun; it stays cocked and locked if I want it ready to go.

With a USP style set up, I again make sure I'm following good safety protocol, I engage the safety, cock the hammer, then chamber check. I don't carry a USP much anymore, but when I did I carried it cocked and locked, so then I just holstered it, but after the chamber check, you can then obviously use the decocker to decock to the "half cock" position.

Jim D
01-25-10, 22:58
This is something a buddy of mine showed me that he picked up from the guys with InSights.

I milk the slide back like I'm taking a Glock apart:
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/synergy303/IMG_0190.jpg

Then use my support hand to lock down the position of the slide:
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/synergy303/IMG_0191.jpg

Then since the slide is held in place, release pressure with my primary hand and do a tactile chamber check with a pinky/ring finger (depending on hand/firearm size):
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/synergy303/IMG_0193.jpg

Just one way to skin the cat... I'm sure some folks don't prefer it.