PDA

View Full Version : pmag

colek50
01-24-10, 04:40
mates, can you leave the pmag inserted/fed to the m4 for quite a while? i was thinking we cannot because of the sensitive feed lips of the pmag. is this correct? thanks

ThirdWatcher
01-24-10, 05:19
I don't know the technical answer (although I know there are people here that do) but I leave my loaded Pmag in my work S&W M&P-15A 24/7/365 with no worries. :)

Heavy Metal
01-24-10, 05:29
mates, can you leave the pmag inserted/fed to the m4 for quite a while? i was thinking we cannot because of the sensitive feed lips of the pmag. is this correct? thanks

PMAGS do not have sensitive feed lips. The dust cover is insurance but according to MAGPUL testing, is totally unnecessary to prevent feed-lip creep.

It will hurt nothing leaving it in the rifle.

Whytep38
01-24-10, 08:57
I asked a similar question in a different thread. My thought was that the BCG on a closed bolt would act like the PMag dust cover in pressing the rounds down a tad and thus relieving the pressure on the feedlips.

The answer I got was that is the case. Also, it was emphasized that Magpul originally thought the dust cover was necessary to prevent lip spread, but it turned out not to be. Which is pretty much what Heavy Metal said.

I still find the dust cover a handy feature for storing loaded PMags to keep the top rounds from being accidentally jostled. But I have no qualms about keeping a loaded PMag in the mag well with the bolt closed.

citizensoldier16
01-24-10, 16:48
the BCG on a closed bolt would act like the PMag dust cover in pressing the rounds down a tad and thus relieving the pressure on the feedlips.

Exactly.

I leave a fully loaded 30-round PMAG in my rifle 24/7 and have had no problems. It's been in there over a year, minus the times I remove it to perform preventive maintenance or cleaning.

Icculus
01-24-10, 17:03
A link to another thread dealing with magazines in general but some info on pmags if you're interested.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44279&page=2

I link it also because in that thread Failure2Stop mentions having left a pmag fully loaded, no dust cover for almost 2 years and it was fine.

.45fmjoe
01-25-10, 11:54
I asked a similar question in a different thread. My thought was that the BCG on a closed bolt would act like the PMag dust cover in pressing the rounds down a tad and thus relieving the pressure on the feedlips.

It does, I asked Magpul on ARF via IM and was told this is correct.

colek50
01-26-10, 22:56
thanks mates... now i can leave my pmag fully loaded in my sbr without any worries...

Blob
01-26-10, 23:04
nevermind