PDA

View Full Version : The original M&P

PLCedeno
01-24-10, 15:09
Here's the story: A couple of weeks ago the owner of my gun shop asked if i could draft up his Last Will and Testament (i'm an attorney). I said sure no problem, give me a few days. The cost was a token amount. When i returned i gave it to him to proof read. In the mean time i asked to see this Model 10-5 (38 special) revolver i had been eyeing for a while. I liked the concept plus some students had been requesting a revolver as an alternative to the Glocks and M&P i provide.

When he handed it to me he asked if i liked it. I said love it. He said its yours. Wow! He wanted to know if we were square re. the will? I said are you kidding? He said that though it has never been fired the box and papers are missing. Long story short the gun is mine.

I called S&W and got the Blue box you see here. After giving them the seriel #, i was told it was manufactured in 1975. I was also told that no other gun has been produced in the quantities the Model 10 has been, when the WWII Victory model is included. I dont know that that can be true considering the proliferation of the Single Action Army/Peacemakers, the 1911 and Glock 19/17 but i dont care. The original papers are on there way from S&W. The holster is the Victory model from Cabelas.

How does it shoot? Heavy trigger but alot of fun and incredibly easy to place rounds center of mass quickly. 400 rounds no issues. Wife spent more time with it than her G19 and son even put down his S&W M&P 15/22 for a whole half hour to shoot it today. I purchased A-Zoom snap caps and did a poor man's trigger job. The trigger is better now. Though its in the safe its no safe queen.

I thought some of you might appreciate this story and gun.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_2254.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_2257.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/plcedeno/IMG_2258.jpg

JackOSU
01-24-10, 15:48
A very nice gesture on his part and a very nice piece of craftsmanship.

skyugo
01-24-10, 15:49
nice. gotta love the barter system :D

Alpha Sierra
01-24-10, 17:28
I believe that is a 5" barrel. If so, it is a very desirable variation.

The word "perfection" applied to handguns does not belong to Glock. It has belonged to S&W since 1899.

This is my 10-5 from 1972. I've added a Tyler T Grip to it, but it is definitely a safe queen.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00865.jpg

ETA: since your pistol was manufactured in 1975, those diamond service stocks date from a much earlier gun as diamond stocks were discontinued in the mid to late 60s. They are also worth quite a bit of money by themselves.

JHC
01-24-10, 17:39
These are incredible firearms! I've a 2" SS version marked "Detroit PD" on the backstrap, a Royal Hong Kong Police 4" and a 6" pre-model 10 manufactured around 1950 or so. They are all superb shooters. Just a couple years ago there was no problem finding nice copies in the $200 range but lately those I've seen have been priced over $400.

John_Wayne777
01-24-10, 19:32
Old S&W and Colt revolvers are VERY cool. Congrats on the pickup.

I wish people offered to pay me in guns.

...of course, I'd probably starve.

TiroFijo
01-25-10, 06:43
Great, GREAT gun! congratulations!

Sadly, they don't make them like that anymore.

sjohnny
01-25-10, 07:37
Very nice. I've got a 1962 Model 10 with the heavy barrel and a 1979 Model 19. They don't make them like that anymore. The difference in quality between those guns and my 642 is absolutely incredible.

PLCedeno
01-25-10, 12:04
I believe that is a 5" barrel. If so, it is a very desirable variation.

The word "perfection" applied to handguns does not belong to Glock. It has belonged to S&W since 1899.

This is my 10-5 from 1972. I've added a Tyler T Grip to it, but it is definitely a safe queen.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00865.jpg

ETA: since your pistol was manufactured in 1975, those diamond service stocks date from a much earlier gun as diamond stocks were discontinued in the mid to late 60s. They are also worth quite a bit of money by themselves.

Based on what you said i figured i would call Customer Service again. This time i was told DOB is 1968. I figured why not call a third time. Sure enouth next answer was between 1969 and 1970 but probably 1969. Strange.

Donbeeler49
01-25-10, 12:28
Your very fortunate. I had a model 10 back in 1975 and like a fool I let it go. Been kickin' myself fo years over that decision.

Wayne Dobbs
01-25-10, 13:54
PL,

There is nothing better in life for a great shooter than a K-frame Smith and Wesson. I've "rescued" many of them over the years and have never been disappointed in any of them. I'm a long time S&W fan and collector. If you'll PM all of the S/N except for the last two digits I'll check my Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson (Supica and Nahas, authors) and get you the appx. date of production. You can have the gun lettered if you desire by the factory historian for about $50 and that will have definitive ship dates and the original customer information.

Wayne

Alpha Sierra
01-25-10, 19:56
Based on what you said i figured i would call Customer Service again. This time i was told DOB is 1968. I figured why not call a third time. Sure enouth next answer was between 1969 and 1970 but probably 1969. Strange.

If that pistol is indeed a late 60s, the diamond stocks may very well be original.

You should visit this S&W forum (http://www.smithandwessonforums.com). The regulars there are amazing sources of knowledge.

Spiffums
01-25-10, 21:54
We have 2 M10s. One is before they started putting the model-revision on the frame. Tiny little sight cuts and was well used before Dad bought it off some guy when we had to move for a few months and Granny needed something to defend herself with if need be.

Then a few months ago he traded for a 10-5 that I would almost say it was never shot. It looks that good and clean and pristine. I have them in the same case and they are an amazing pair.

One of the best shooting guns I have shot. I love a good Smith wheel gun.

XKL
01-26-10, 02:11
If you'll PM all of the S/N except for the last two digits I'll check my Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson (Supica and Nahas, authors) and get you the appx. date of production.

I apologize for the off-topic question, but why do (some) people worry about people knowing the S/N of their gun? What's the gun equivalent of identity theft? This is a sincere question, not a smart-ass remark.

Thanks.

Wayne Dobbs
01-26-10, 12:20
I've always wondered the same thing, but since it appears to be common practice and manners, I continue the tradition.

The cop in me (suspicious mode) says that it's in case the gun was at one time stolen, an old claim of ownership can't be sucessfully raised.

I'm open to hearing other ideas too!

As for the stocks on the gun, the diamond pattern went away circa 1966-1968, so if those are original, it gives you an idea of the revolver's age. Also, the right stock has the serial number of the gun it was ORIGINALLY installed on written in pencil or stamped on the inside surface. You might want to carefully remove them and check that out and also see if there's any rust starting underneath the stocks.

PLCedeno
01-26-10, 15:20
I apologize for the off-topic question, but why do (some) people worry about people knowing the S/N of their gun? What's the gun equivalent of identity theft? This is a sincere question, not a smart-ass remark.

Thanks.

It gives you a DOB. If your into history then this is important.