PDA

View Full Version : Soaking bcg in simple green?

DrBackJack
01-24-10, 17:23
What do you think? Good idea or bad idea to strip it and clean it every once in a while?

beckman
01-24-10, 17:44
While I've never used Simple Green specifically, I have used Fantastik and Formula 409 for cleaning bolts, bolt parts and bolt carriers. Also, I haven't "soaked" the BCG in the cleaning solution, either; I used the cleaners much like any powder solvent and disassemble the BCG and clean the parts individually.

I don't think that those cleaners are as good as Hoppes #9, but if nothing better is available, they will work OK. My guess is that Simple Green will be similar to Fantastik and Formula 409. BTW, there can be some issue with prolonged use of Formula 409 on aluminum, but I haven't seen any problem.

Another advantage is that those cleaners don't smell as badly as does Hoppes, which in a confined space, after prolonged exposure, has occasionally given me a headache.

Patrick Aherne
01-24-10, 17:57
Use SLiP products, they will clean your gun, won't kill you with nasty chemicals, and work really, really, well. I use Simple Green to to degrease bearings and stuff + clean up K9 piss.

Robb Jensen
01-24-10, 18:01
To me getting the carrier that clean is just a waste of time unless I plan to store it for months on end without use. I just give them a really good wipe down and relube with Weaponshield or Militec-1..

Col_Crocs
01-24-10, 18:08
Ive soaked mine in gasoline in the past -- excluding the extractor. It seemed to soften up the carbon pretty good. All it took was a slightly stiff artist's bursh to take out the carbon from the inside of the carrier and light scraping on the bolt tail.
Nothing you cant do with Hoppes however. I just liked the idea of dipping it back in to rinse between brushing and scraping.
For another soaking solution, check out Quib's formula if you havent tried it already. It should be around here somehwere.

Iraq Ninja
01-24-10, 18:21
Simple green is fine, as long as you don't leave it on aluminum too long. So, for the BCG it is ok.

Col Crocs- why Gasoline? Even the Iraqis are smart enough not to use gasoline do to the safety issues. Like most Turd World countries, they use diesel to clean their weapons. I would never use anything like gas...

Heavy Metal
01-24-10, 18:32
You aren't doing you liver any favors playing in Gasoline not to mention the low flash point.

civilian
01-24-10, 18:38
Gasoline? That's a new one for me.

Col_Crocs
01-24-10, 18:47
It was just something I thought Id try once as it was mentioned by friend in passing.
I understand the safety hazard which is why I stated that it does nothing Hoppes cant do and suggested Quibs solution.
Sorry guys, shouldve been more clear, Im not recommending this particular method nor do I continue to do it myself. My point was more towards me simply finding it convenient to have something to rinse with between brushing and scraping which you can do, again, with Quibs solution or mineral spirit dips between and after using Hoppes which is what I currently do.

Col_Crocs
01-24-10, 18:49
Oh no... :D sorry guys.... Please read my second post... I DO NOT recommend it. It DOESNT do anything Hoppes cannot do.

Failure2Stop
01-24-10, 18:58
Slip cleaner/degreaser works well without the odor and health concerns of other methods.

Psamtik
01-24-10, 19:49
Slip cleaner/degreaser works well without the odor and health concerns of other methods.

It's the little things like that that can encourage you to shoot more!

tr1kstanc3
01-24-10, 21:33
I recommend Slip 2000 and Weaponshield. They are both labeled as non-toxic.

10MMGary
01-24-10, 21:44
Bunch of pansies, back when we were young we soaked everything in gasoline, shoot we washed our dirty hands with Shell leaded 260 octane!

it neber hert uss, we arr juss find:D.