PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Earthhquakes!!!

clickclack
01-24-10, 20:20
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14216212

Yellowstone National Park has been rattled by more than 250 earthquakes in the past two days following a period of 11 months of quiet seismic activity in the park.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14216212#ixzz0daPZp0Zq

Seriously after this whole Haiti situation. makes me wonder how we would handle it If Yellowstone blew up or California got hit big..

scary shhhhhh.

clickclack
01-24-10, 20:21
http://www.jessicadunton.com/blog/TinfoilHat.jpg

citizensoldier16
01-24-10, 20:30
See!! Hard evidence of a Venezuelan "earthquake bomb".... :D

kaiservontexas
01-24-10, 21:06
I do not know what is tin foil hat about the Yellowstone Caldera.

organdonor
01-24-10, 22:46
I do not know what is tin foil hat about the Yellowstone Caldera.yeah.

jdub75
01-24-10, 23:04
I don't think we'd miss a beat if yellowstone blew up, but California...yikes.

Take a moment to look back at Katrina. I mean really look at went on afterwards (and there are STILL people in those trailers!). Weapons were confiscated, people were dying from bad water or lack of water...it was pure chaos in a relatively small town (compared to a LA or SF).

Imagine that in LA or SF? They'd need to recall troops from the SB to restore order!
Its not such a crazy thought...

Belmont31R
01-24-10, 23:20
I don't think we'd miss a beat if yellowstone blew up, but California...yikes.

Take a moment to look back at Katrina. I mean really look at went on afterwards (and there are STILL people in those trailers!). Weapons were confiscated, people were dying from bad water or lack of water...it was pure chaos in a relatively small town (compared to a LA or SF).

Imagine that in LA or SF? They'd need to recall troops from the SB to restore order!

Yellowstone would be far worse than a quake in California.

The main reason the mid-west is so fertile is because of Yellowstone depositing minerals across it. Some of the blasts have made "modern" eruptions look like firecrackers in comparison.

Irish
01-24-10, 23:28
Read the article, WYOMING.

woodandsteel
01-24-10, 23:30
Yellowstone is such a beautiful place. I can't wait to take my daughters there in a few years.

As far as the earthquakes, they happen from time to time. Anyway, the Myan calender doesn't end for almost two years. So don't sweat it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-24-10, 23:36

The main reason the mid-west is so fertile is because of Yellowstone depositing minerals across it. Some of the blasts have made "modern" eruptions look like firecrackers in comparison.

This would be no Mt. Saint Hellens. Probably climate changing amounts of particulate matter into the air and IIRC feet of ash to the Atlantic seaboard. It is a volcano something like 40 miles across.

http://www.anthonares.net/Yellowstone_Caldera_map.gif

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/images/2000-rbs-3.2volcanicashcover_large.jpg

snappy
01-24-10, 23:40

Agreed. All fun and games until the sun gets blocked out for a few years. Lights out- :eek:

kaiservontexas
01-25-10, 00:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_YUwdiy8I Disc. Channel FYI youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUx1JtT-5I that goofy mockumentry showing what if, eruption video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFL2jHzcyZs and of course the 2012 movie's dramatization which looks like a massive nuclear detonation.

I do not know if anybody really knows how it erupts. Is it the unzipping theory or is it a big boom similar to Krakatau on a much larger scale. Oh the discovery one shows ash cloud projections.

stipilot
01-25-10, 08:09

A couple years ago, some Yellowstone troofers were going off the deep end about an immenent eruption to the point where the Park Service had to appoint an anti-troofer ranger and post daily USGS data to quell the troofer rants.

Having said that, it is indeed an HUGE volcano and still active.

Mjolnir
01-25-10, 08:52
I tire of the "tin foil hat" stuff, too. And there is *NOTHING* 'tin foil' about Techtonic Plate Phenomena.

May I suggest to everyone interested the History Channel's "How the Earth Was Made" series? It airs every Tuesday night. I purchased both the Pilot and Series as I find knowing about the Earth extremely fascinating. Actually, I have no words that accurately reflect how I feel about it. It simply is. We are most definitely "attached" to 'Mother Earth' as we cannot get off of it and live any place else, yet.

After studying HOW the Earth ended up the way it is then and only then go see 2012 (though I cannot vouch for the 12/31/12 date and neither can the maker of the movie - though we are ending a 12,000 year cycle that apparently does exactly as described in the movie).

Either way, it's worth (perhaps your life) to KNOW the planet as well as you choose to know your carbine.

P.S.

Good books:

Coming Earth Changes by Hutton (I forget his first name)
Roadside Geology series put out by the USGS. Just google the underlined phrase/title.

Outlander Systems
01-25-10, 09:39
As previously stated, WTF is "tinfoil" about geology?

Cohibra45
01-25-10, 10:04
Here is some comparison information about Yellowstone 'Super Volcano' compared with the 'normal' ejecta of volcano's we see......

Eruptions with a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 8 (VEI-8) are colossal events that throw out at least 1,000 km3 Dense Rock Equivalent (DRE) of ejecta; VEI-7 events eject at least 100 km3 (DRE).

VEI-7 or 8 eruptions are so powerful that they often form circular calderas rather than cones because the downward withdrawal of magma causes the overlying mass to collapse and fill the void magma chamber beneath.

One of the classic calderas is at Glen Coe in the Grampian Mountains of Scotland. First described by Clough et al. (1909)[5] its geology and volcanic succession has recently been re-analysed in the light of new discoveries.[6] There is an accompanying 1:25000 solid geology map.

By way of comparison, the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption was at the lower end of VEI-5 with 1.2 km3, and both Mount Pinatubo in 1991 and Krakatoa in 1883 were VEI-6 with 25 km3.

This was taken from Wikipedia (yes, I know that site!!!!!), but it does have some good information most of the time and this is one of those. Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

If and when Yellowstone does erupt, it doesn't mean a super eruption will happen, just that it has in the past and will do so again in the future.

No one knows or can predict when these will happen, just like earthquakes. However, I'm glad that I'm living in Florida and far enough from the volcano to be minimally effected.

I'll probably be washed away from a super tsunami long before getting killed by volcanoes!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Zhurdan
01-25-10, 10:08

Hey... I care! :p

clickclack
01-25-10, 10:16
I agree that there is nothing Tin foil hat about this but i figured i would get labled as paranoid for posting so I thought i would make light of it.

Cohibra45
01-25-10, 10:19
I agree that there is nothing Tin foil hat about this but i figured i would get labled as paranoid for posting so I thought i would make light of it.

Nothing tin foil about Yellowstone..........it's cycle is due if not a little over due!!;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-25-10, 10:57
Kind of looking down the barrel here in Colorado, but I can understand the 'tin foil hat' issue in that I don't think we'll go from earth quake swarms to full caldera in a week. Will we?

1000 km3 ejecta, that puts your morning dump in perspective.

kaiservontexas
01-25-10, 11:08
You know one thing that perplexes me about the Yellowstone super eruptions. Nobody ever discussing the fossil record at the time of those eruptions. There was no mass extinctions that I know of 640,000 years ago. I google and all I find is Lava Creek Tuff, but no mention of anything else, which I find odd. You would think with the way they project its death and destruction the fossil record would be used to support the theories. Then there is the other super eruptions, which further prompts my curiosity in the fossil record.

Belmont31R
01-25-10, 11:28
You know one thing that perplexes me about the Yellowstone super eruptions. Nobody ever discussing the fossil record at the time of those eruptions. There was no mass extinctions that I know of 640,000 years ago. I google and all I find is Lava Creek Tuff, but no mention of anything else, which I find odd. You would think with the way they project its death and destruction the fossil record would be used to support the theories. Then there is the other super eruptions, which further prompts my curiosity in the fossil record.

There is a super-volcano in Indonesia which is theorized to have almost wiped man off the planet. I guess its bigger than Yellowstone but not by much.

Here you go...Toba:

http://www.articlesextra.com/toba-supervolcano-indonesia.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/originals/Weber-Toba/textr.htm

rubberneck
01-25-10, 11:28

Actually I have seen it addressed a couple of times in documentaries. Super Volcanoes are very destructive and can alter the planets ecosystem for long periods of time but they aren't destructive enough to cause a mass global extinction. Asteroids on the other hand can quite easily.

Belmont31R
01-25-10, 11:31
Actually I have seen it addressed a couple of times in documentaries. Super Volcanoes are very destructive and can alter the planets ecosystem for long periods of time but they aren't destructive enough to cause a mass global extinction. Asteroids on the other hand can quite easily.

See my post above. Theory is Toba super eruption caused the near extinction of man approx 75k years ago. This is the "bottle neck" in our history where there was a mass extinction, and less than 10% of humans survived. Also there were other similar species that disappeared around the same time frame.

Cohibra45
01-25-10, 11:36

How about a link to this article......???

Thanks

Irish
01-25-10, 11:43
How about a link to this article......???

Thanks

It's the original post that started off this thread.

DragonDoc
01-25-10, 20:26
I don't think we'd miss a beat if Yellowstone blew up, but California...yikes.

An eruption at Yellowstone would be epic. It would be a near extinction event. Do some research on super volcanoes. We would lose the mid-west which is our bread basket. Air travel would come to a halt and the middle of the country would be uninhabitable. Cali can fall off the face of the earth and it wouldn't greatly effect the rest of the world. Yellowstone is a different story.