PDA

View Full Version : PRI precision relfex free float forearm?

312InchMagnum
01-24-10, 22:28
hello all...i'm new to the forum...i have a 20 inch flatop upper being built by dan carey out of az...i wanted to find a forearm that wasnt railed the entire way...i ran into a pri gen III carbon fiber rail at a gun show i really liked http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05-073-03&Category_Code=FOREARMS

its a bit expensive, but i can handle it...just wanted to get some thoughts...i WOULD of went with a smooth rail, but i want something that has some rail space for a bipod and flashlight...thanks!

lethal dose
01-24-10, 22:30
check out the troy trx extreme. it comes with pieces of rail to mount where you want 'em.

jp0319
01-24-10, 22:43
I got the PRI rifle length forearm for my latest build also. I wish I could comment on first hand but as it is in the states and I am no I have not shot with it yet. I got mine through Midway USA for a pretty good price. Hope this helps.

ejeffreyhorn
01-24-10, 23:08
I had an upper for a while with this forearm. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Its light weight if you only use the small 4" rails where you need them. You can use a PRI aluminum barrel nut and the whole package comes in around 10-11 oz IIRC.
- I liked the diameter of the forearm (~ 2" IIRC.) It fit my hand better than the standard rails + rail covers
- Mounting was rock solid

Cons:
- You need a special wrench to install it. I think I still have it around somewhere so if you go with it, PM me and I'll let you use mine. Maybe this isn't a con after all :)
- It gets hot after a while. It has heat shields, but mine got hot during longer range sessions.
- The rails are damn hard to put back on after you take them off. Holding the small diameter nut in place inside the tube while screwing in the hex screw used just about all the patience I have.

There's probably more I'm not remembering. Let me know if there is something specific you want to know.

J

312InchMagnum
01-24-10, 23:55
thanks for the reply and offer man, i appreciate that!...hopefully i wont have to mess with the rails after they are on...i basically want the setup it shows in the picture...4 inch of rails in the front...for bipod on bottom and flashlight on side...other than that i wont have any other needs...

my main concern was if they were really worth $300...i want something that is light and rock solid...and i think it looks pretty cool so thats a plus :D