PDA

View Full Version : Loose Barrel/Nut

Aristogeiton
01-25-10, 14:02
I learned a little lesson yesterday.

Every time I clean my weapons, I check for broken parts, but I have never checked my barrel or barrel nut for tightness.

I have a 16” AR-15 with a carbine gas system, MOE hand guards and only 1576 rounds fired through it and I have never removed the barrel or gas tube.

Yesterday while I was thinking about moving my light up to a FSB mount, I felt a little movement while handling the FSB. I first thought the FSB was loose, but I quickly noticed that the barrel was moving in the receiver.

I took a closer look at the barrel nut and I could turn it with my fingers. Not good.

I’ve e-mailed the manufacturer to let them know and will get the barrel correctly installed.

I just never expected this to happen and it is a good reminder to check your weapons closely for problems and always have a backup.
:D

SPDGG
01-25-10, 14:03
Where did you source the upper from?

mike240
01-25-10, 14:05
Yep, few years back had 3 of I think 16 come in new from major maker with the same condition. One was also so shot chambered that it would never extract a live round without being mortared and usually the bulled seperated from the case and had to be punched out....good to check them out before shooting even the "best" drop the ball once in the while.

Aristogeiton
01-25-10, 14:22
Where did you source the upper from?

I don't want to say whose upper it is yet, because I have not heard back from the manufacturer yet. Sorry :)

I also noticed I put this in the General Forum. I was thinking I put it in the General AR forum. I'm too sad over the Vikings loss. :(