PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME ADVICE!!

ewood160
01-25-10, 14:42
alright first off id like to say hello to everyone. im new to m4carbine.net. so thanks for welcoming me (even if u dont). but my question is:

im looking for an ar. when i was in the army, it was the standard m4. now i see all these ARs out on the market and im not sure of which direction i should be going. i was thinking about the ruger 556. are there any problems with this weapon that should make me not want to make a purchase?

i thank everyones opinions and advice!!

-eric

Thomas M-4
01-25-10, 14:59
Piston guns have bolt carrier tilt issues. Try the search function numerous threads on it.
Threads that might help you decide what you want.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

Welcome to M4C

Marcus L.
01-25-10, 15:31
The M16/M4 action and direct gas impingement system(DI) is a matured design that engineers have really refined after 60yrs of military use.

Many of the newer piston driven AR designs, and other newer piston designs have had quite a few problems in many of the instructor carbine courses of fire. The M4 design is king of the hill when it comes to carbines, so naturally the internet and gun magazines are filled with manufacturers saying that direct gas impingement(DI) and the M4 design are flawed and they have something better. In reality though, many of them have their own design problems. The great thing about DI is that it takes more than a pound off the rifle's weight, and shifts the balance more to the rear for better handling. Frankly, I'd like to see a DI designs in the SCAR, ACR, and newer rifle designs.

Check out Thomas M-4s links. Very good info.....

Personally, I wouldn't go with anything short of a Colt M4(#6920).

C4IGrant
01-25-10, 15:57
alright first off id like to say hello to everyone. im new to m4carbine.net. so thanks for welcoming me (even if u dont). but my question is:

im looking for an ar. when i was in the army, it was the standard m4. now i see all these ARs out on the market and im not sure of which direction i should be going. i was thinking about the ruger 556. are there any problems with this weapon that should make me not want to make a purchase?

i thank everyones opinions and advice!!

-eric

Pass on the Ruger.

If you want a fighting weapon, look at Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, etc.

C4

Iraqgunz
01-25-10, 16:12
Stick with a quality direct impingement system gun, use good ammo and mags, maintain and lube the weapon properly and you won't have any issues.

Linkpimp
01-25-10, 19:50
Which AR??

The AR 10, in 308

The AR 15 in 556 – 223

How much money do you have budgeted for it?

What are your shooting requirements / what are you going to use it for? Hunting, punching paper, HP, ??

All things that you need to consider if your going try to narrow down your choices, each type and size offers different advantages and disadvantages..

Help us help you and give us a little more to go off of..

P.S.
Welcome to site, I’m a newbie here too..

Link.