PDA

View Full Version : Best Choice for CCW in 45??

C4IGrant
01-25-10, 16:11
Was looking at the S&W M&P line the other day and saw a pistol that I had forgotten about. It is their mid-framed 45 (109307).

It has all the features I like in a CCW weapon:

1. 4" Slide
2. Adjustable back straps
3. Ability to use Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Could this gun be the G19 of the 45 world?

This might be one of S&W's best kept secrets.

Thoughts?

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/109306a.jpg

ChicagoTex
01-25-10, 16:28
The way I carry, grip length matters waay more than slide length (assuming the slide is under 4.5" or so), so the M&P45 Compact is more to my tastes. Besides, the M&P45 compact to me feels more G19 like with a "just enough" grip. This is more like a G17 w/ a G19 slide...

awm14hp
01-25-10, 16:36
I could hang up the 4516 for that I may have to check one out

maximus83
01-25-10, 16:38

Thoughts?

Yeah Grant, I think that about nails it. If you check 10-8 forums, Hilton Yam and a number over there seem to think that the mid-size .45 M&P is pretty much the 'sweet spot' of the series, for those who like to carry a .45.

To me, the pistol balances nicely, is extremely accurate, fits my existing M&P 9 full-size holsters, and soaks up recoil to the extent that it actually shoot softer than a full-sized govt model 1911! The only thing that is a LITTLE disappointing on mine is that gritty, crunchy trigger that is so common on newer M&P's. But I assume mine will break in after I get 1K rounds or more through it, plus dry firing.

DJK
01-25-10, 16:41
Grant - don't know if you have read this before or not, but Hilton Yam thinks the 4" is the best of the M&P .45s:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&an=0&page=1#72516

crossgun
01-25-10, 16:46
You could build your own version like this. Long slide, 4.5 barrel, on the compact frame. No CTC laser grips avaliable yet.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/copperfield8910/2009_0727Image0011-1.jpg

GLOCKMASTER
01-25-10, 17:15
Grant I have one that I carry when I'm not carrying one of my G19's. If you have been carrying a G19 it will take a little getting used too because of the little extra weight. Also there is a little extra length involving the beaver tail and grip to get used to as well.

Vinh
01-25-10, 17:32
I have the ambi-safety version. As a former 1911 and HK .45 fanatic, the M&P is the least pleasant .45 I've shot. For my puny hands, the beavertail is simply too wide and flat. Strangers that have shot my gun haven't liked it.

Perhaps the regular version is better. I thought it would be a good carry gun (Colt Commander/HK V9 substitute), but quickly lost interest.

QuietShootr
01-25-10, 18:01
Was looking at the S&W M&P line the other day and saw a pistol that I had forgotten about. It is their mid-framed 45 (109307).

1. 4" Slide

Thoughts?

C4

I carry one when I'm not carrying a G19, and yes, I think it is the best kept secret (and the best model) of the whole line. Put it in a Raven Concealment holster and it's light, has plenty of firepower on tap, and is accurate as hell. I've almost completely hung up my 1911s in favor of it.

silentsod
01-25-10, 18:37
I've been thinking about buying a 4" slide assembly and barrel myself. Cheaper than buying a 45c but I don't really get size reduction where it matters :(

Off topic question: What sights are those? Rear looks Novak-esque in profile but the "boot cut" is new to me. I like the Novak sight picture so this intrigues me.

ralph
01-25-10, 18:58
I also have one..It has the ambi saftey levers, (I'm considering removing them) However, it has been nothing but accurate and reliable. I've got 2100rnds on mine, and I've yet to have a failure, roughly 1900 were my own loads, mostly 200gr LSWC's and a couple hundred JHP's I loaded up and tried at various times. Recoil is quite managable, Frankly, I agree with Mr. Yam's assessment. Grant, since I live local to you, If you want to try one let me know, and I'll drop it off and let you give it a whirl..

M4Guru
01-25-10, 19:22
That gun is awesome, I pretty much recommend it to anyone who wants to carry a .45 these days. With the sights, lasers, and holsters now commonplace for the M&P it's a super attractive option. I am a die hard Glock guy but this this stomps a 30 or 36 out of the atmosphere...I can't stand those two.

The Glock 19 of .45 handguns is exactly how I describe it. I hope S&W sells a million of them (just not to central African nations for a kickback.:D)

theJanitor
01-25-10, 19:31
You could build your own version like this. Long slide, 4.5 barrel, on the compact frame. No CTC laser grips avaliable yet.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww150/copperfield8910/2009_0727Image0011-1.jpg

can this be done with a M&P9 fullsize slide, and compact frame?

forgiven
01-25-10, 19:41
HK45c

M4Guru
01-25-10, 19:44
Like that, only everything associated with it costs half as much and doesn't have a slide the size of a washer and dryer combo.

Not to say that the HK45 isn't a good gun (it is), but if they were both free I'd still rather have this M&P.

ccoker
01-25-10, 21:18
I have been toying with the idea of one of these for some time now...

MichaelD
01-25-10, 21:32
can this be done with a M&P9 fullsize slide, and compact frame?

Yes... it just looks really weird because the 9c's dustcover doesn't cover the fullsize's recoil spring.

If/when I get a .45, it'll be an M&P45c. I can get a full grip on the gun without the pinkie extension.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:03
The way I carry, grip length matters waay more than slide length (assuming the slide is under 4.5" or so), so the M&P45 Compact is more to my tastes. Besides, the M&P45 compact to me feels more G19 like with a "just enough" grip. This is more like a G17 w/ a G19 slide...

How do you carry?

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:04
Yeah Grant, I think that about nails it. If you check 10-8 forums, Hilton Yam and a number over there seem to think that the mid-size .45 M&P is pretty much the 'sweet spot' of the series, for those who like to carry a .45.

To me, the pistol balances nicely, is extremely accurate, fits my existing M&P 9 full-size holsters, and soaks up recoil to the extent that it actually shoot softer than a full-sized govt model 1911! The only thing that is a LITTLE disappointing on mine is that gritty, crunchy trigger that is so common on newer M&P's. But I assume mine will break in after I get 1K rounds or more through it, plus dry firing.

Agree. For whatever reason, I think the 45 M&P's are WAY more accurate than any other caliber in the M&P line.

The trigger on the 45 M&P's does tend to suck. The APEX sear will fix that though.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:07
I've been thinking about buying a 4" slide assembly and barrel myself. Cheaper than buying a 45c but I don't really get size reduction where it matters :(

Off topic question: What sights are those? Rear looks Novak-esque in profile but the "boot cut" is new to me. I like the Novak sight picture so this intrigues me.

Good question on the sights (they are factory). The back of the rear sight is grooved like a Heinie. This is something new (I believe).

For factory sights (non-Tritium), I would have to say that this gun has the best I have seen.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:10
HK45c

Not sure what this means. Do you believe that the HK 45C is better? If so why and how?

Have you ever shot this M&P?

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:12
So it appears that many have had the same thought as me (G19 in a 45).

I think most people don't know anything about them (which I intend to fix). :D

C4

MarshallDodge
01-26-10, 09:17
I really like the idea of the 4" M&P45 and have been contemplating about getting one. I have a gun buddy that wants one so I am waiting to check his out.

The fact that they are similar in size to a 4.25" 1911, my EDC, is what makes me want to give it a try.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:22
I really like the idea of the 4" M&P45 and have been contemplating about getting one. I have a gun buddy that wants one so I am waiting to check his out.

The fact that they are similar in size to a 4.25" 1911, my EDC, is what makes me want to give it a try.

I had ordered one of these for a local customer recently and it made me think about it as a CCW option. So I ordered four more of them.

I am a big fan of training with the gun I am carrying. It always strikes me as odd when I see a guy using some small compact gun for CCW and then when he gets to a training class, takes it off and puts on a bigger gun. :confused:

C4

M4arc
01-26-10, 09:43
How many rounds does the mid-size hold?

Vinh
01-26-10, 09:49
Mine holds 10.

M4arc
01-26-10, 09:56
Mine holds 10.

Thanks Vinh.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 09:58
How many rounds does the mid-size hold?

11. :)

C4

30 cal slut
01-26-10, 09:59
IIRC, the striker spring is a little stiffer than the M&P/9 due to .45 ammo having harder primers?

In ther words, the trigger pull feels a little different on the M&P/45 vs. the M&P/9

Palmguy
01-26-10, 10:07
Interesting...I've seen this gun before but never paid it much attention. I used to have and carry the compact M&P45, and remember thinking that the gun would be a bit more shootable if the grip was just a hair longer.

This would be my first choice in a carry .45; I've never been crazy about Glock .45s, I've never been crazy about the price tags on H&K .45s, and plastic works better for me than steel or aluminum (P220/1911).

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 10:36
Interesting...I've seen this gun before but never paid it much attention. I used to have and carry the compact M&P45, and remember thinking that the gun would be a bit more shootable if the grip was just a hair longer.

This would be my first choice in a carry .45; I've never been crazy about Glock .45s, I've never been crazy about the price tags on H&K .45s, and plastic works better for me than steel or aluminum (P220/1911).

I like a lot ok HK guns, but the price tag kind on them is a too high IMHO.

This M&P 45 would run about $490.

C4

Palmguy
01-26-10, 10:55
I like a lot ok HK guns, but the price tag kind on them is a too high IMHO.

This M&P 45 would run about $490.

C4

Which is pretty awesome, as that's about as cheap as you can get for a pistol that isn't a compromise in reliability :)

DJK
01-26-10, 12:29
So I ordered four more of them.

Grant - are you keeping all four for yourself?

MarshallDodge
01-26-10, 12:30
I am a big fan of training with the gun I am carrying. It always strikes me as odd when I see a guy using some small compact gun for CCW and then when he gets to a training class, takes it off and puts on a bigger gun. :confused:
100% agree. There are times that I have to carry my little Kahr but it's pretty rare.

forgiven
01-26-10, 12:40
Not sure what this means. Do you believe that the HK 45C is better? If so why and how?

Have you ever shot this M&P?

C4

I would prefer the HK45c over the MP .45 - I haven't shot this model that you speak of, but I have owned the fullsize and it just wasn't for me -

The slide release takes hulk pressure to release, the trigger was horrible, and the frame started flexing away from the slide. I might get another MP, but it will be in 9mm and I will have to get work done on it.

MarshallDodge
01-26-10, 12:46
The slide release takes hulk pressure to release, the trigger was horrible, and the frame started flexing away from the slide.
I am going to have to guess that you did not shoot this gun very much. Your first two problems should start to go away after the first 500 rounds and with the frame block design of the M&P I am not sure how you were having the latter issue.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 13:01
I would prefer the HK45c over the MP .45 - I haven't shot this model that you speak of, but I have owned the fullsize and it just wasn't for me -

The slide release takes hulk pressure to release, the trigger was horrible, and the frame started flexing away from the slide. I might get another MP, but it will be in 9mm and I will have to get work done on it.

Some of the slide releases are on the tough side (not all of them). The trigger does need work, but is fine for combat applications. The APEX Sear (for $29) is all that is needed to improve the trigger.

The HK45(C) has issues with pinching ones finger between the trigger guard and trigger. This is a problem that you have to fix.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 13:03
100% agree. There are times that I have to carry my little Kahr but it's pretty rare.

Oh I have a snubby 38 I carry in Summer, but that is not a lot.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 13:04
Grant - are you keeping all four for yourself?

Nope. One for sure and one for my customer, but have 2 left for sale.

C4

DJK
01-26-10, 13:37
Nope. One for sure and one for my customer, but have 2 left for sale.

C4

Email sent.

ChicagoTex
01-26-10, 15:19
How do you carry?

Usually IWB at 3:30-4:00.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 15:31
Usually IWB at 3:30-4:00.

That is how I carry. I use the MS's VM2 and have no issue hiding a full size M&P.

The quality of the holster really matters when trying to hide a full size weapon.

C4

decodeddiesel
01-26-10, 15:48
That is how I carry. I use the MS's VM2 and have no issue hiding a full size M&P.

The quality of the holster really matters when trying to hide a full size weapon.

C4

Agree. The 4" M&P45 is not a hard weapon to conceal if you have the right holster.

ChicagoTex
01-26-10, 16:08
Comp-Tac Minotaur good enough for you? We don't all have the same body type - I am a "plus sized" individual and can't sucessfully conceal anything much bigger than a Glock 26. Trust me, I've tried.

decodeddiesel
01-26-10, 16:19
Comp-Tac Minotaur good enough for you? We don't all have the same body type - I am a "plus sized" individual and can't sucessfully conceal anything much bigger than a Glock 26. Trust me, I've tried.

I use the MTAC with the M&P45 and M&P9C with great success.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 16:28
I use the MTAC with the M&P45 and M&P9C with great success.

Are you a "thin" guy or a "plus size" guy?

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 16:28

Comp-tac generally makes good stuff, but that holster MIGHT not work well with a larger framed auto (just sayin). It is good to try other things.

Most "larger" size folks can hide a gun better than thin guys IMHO.

C4

decodeddiesel
01-26-10, 16:41
Comp-tac generally makes good stuff, but that holster MIGHT not work well with a larger framed auto (just sayin). It is good to try other things.

C4

Well not as thin as I was in the Army, but I am about 6', 220#, and wear 36" waist trousers.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 16:46
Well not as thin as I was in the Army, but I am about 6', 220#, and wear 36" waist trousers.

Ok so you are stocky guy. I am 6" 200 and have no issue hiding large framed auto's (1911's, M&P, etc).

C4

ChicagoTex
01-26-10, 16:48

I disagree, thin people can hide guns in between their bone points, us fatter folk have fat in the way.

Suffice it to say, my attempts to adequately conceal bigger autos have been utter failures. Note that my definition of "adequate" may be more thorough than yours.

Artos
01-26-10, 18:05
neat gun...I'm glad I'm not a pistol nut like I am with long guns. The LW commander still seems a better choice for me, but I started with the 1911 25 years ago and can't seem to get excited about other options for carry.

I thought I might take the ugly glock plunge with the 36 but knew it wouldn't end up on the belt.

subzero
01-26-10, 19:03
ChicagoTex, check your PM

I like the midsize 45. I just wonder why S&W doesn't start calling the 5" version the 45L or slap a PC sear in it for an instant Pro model.

Then the midsize will be the "regular" like the rest of the line.

M4arc
01-26-10, 19:20
ChicagoTex, check your PM

I like the midsize 45. I just wonder why S&W doesn't start calling the 5" version the 45L or slap a PC sear in it for an instant Pro model.

Then the midsize will be the "regular" like the rest of the line.

Dude, can I shoot yours at some point?

calvin118
01-26-10, 19:31
I have a FS, and actually was contemplating its potential as a carry gun before I came across this thread. Of the modern 45's that I would consider (MP45, HK45, FNP45, G21) the M&P has by far the least obtrusive frame. As it is, it seems just a "touch" bigger than what I prefer to carry- although I could certainly make it work.

To any of you guys who have both, does the extra 2oz and 0.5" on the full size make it any more difficult to carry/conceal given that the frames are identical? If I flex my hips extremely far I notice a very slight print with the tip of the muzzle when I look really hard- but frankly nothing noticeable. I'm not sure that the 4" would make much of a difference.

Additionally, if I were carrying it I'd probably want a thumb safety. I didn't get one in the first place because it felt flimsy/unreliable and the opposite side safety kept aggravating the other side of my (Shaq-like) hand. It does look like there is a place on my gun where a safety could be installed. Does anyone know of any fixes or sturdy aftermarket options? Are right handed only options available?

M4arc
01-26-10, 19:48
Does anyone have any pictures of a M&P45 and G19 side-by-side?

Grant, have you thought about sending it to Ray T to have him remove the beaver tail for CCW?

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 19:56
Does anyone have any pictures of a M&P45 and G19 side-by-side?

Grant, have you thought about sending it to Ray T to have him remove the beaver tail for CCW?

I have not as I like it and can conceal it easily.

C4

M4arc
01-26-10, 20:03
I have not as I like it and can conceal it easily.

C4

I guess I'll have to see one next to a G19 to determine if its that big of a deal.

Gentle Ben
01-26-10, 20:15
I was fortunate enough to win a 4" MP45 at a VTAC carbine course. I like it so much that it became my carry gun.

In a Raven Concealment Phantom holster, it hugs so tight against my hip that it conceals nearly as well as an IWB, and is very comfortable.

Here's mine after a bit of customizing. A trigger job made it a lot easier to shoot. I was thinking about shortening the beavertail, which I've done for a lot of people, but it doesn't bother me.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Snail50/PC170139-1.jpg

Boris
01-26-10, 21:01
Grant - why abbreviate the bbl from 4.5" to 4" if concealability (using an IWB rig) isn't an issue?

fwiw, I am 6'2" 210 lbs. and easily carry the 4.5" bbl .45 in an M-TAC.

Razorhunter
01-26-10, 21:11

1. 4" Slide

Thoughts?

C4

Grant,
You are dead on. It IS the G19 of the 45ACP world, since Glock has FAILED to offer a desireable .45ACP all these years. Hell, even if Glock had offered a G22 sized .45ACP or similar, I would STILL choose the the #109307 M&P45 over the Glock any day of the week, due to the ergonomics alone, seeing as the reliability is definitely there with the M&P.
I searched forever to find a #109307 for many months, until I finally found one in stock and priced right. It's been the best polymer in 45ACP I've ever come across.

Vinh
01-26-10, 21:18
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/glock19_mp45/IMG_0968_small.jpg
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/glock19_mp45/IMG_0969_small.jpg
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/glock19_mp45/IMG_0970_small.jpg
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/glock19_mp45/IMG_0971_small.jpg
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/glock19_mp45/IMG_0972_small.jpg

Love the concept, the ergos just didn't work for me.

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 21:25
Grant - why abbreviate the bbl from 4.5" to 4" if concealability (using an IWB rig) isn't an issue?

fwiw, I am 6'2" 210 lbs. and easily carry the 4.5" bbl .45 in an M-TAC.

I think most feel that a 4" gun the best all around gun for both CCW and training.

This is why guns such as the G19 are considered the best all around option.

C4

Blake
01-26-10, 22:03
I think most feel that a 4" gun the best all around gun for both CCW and training.

This is why guns such as the G19 are considered the best all around option.

C4

Unless I missed someone talking about it.....I was shocked, when I didn't notice anyone complaining about S&W not offering a version to compete with the G19 in 9mm. The compact is smaller than the G19, and the MP9 is bigger. Why not a mid-size M&P in 9mm? I think this would do the most damage to the Glock market share to date. Many a people love the G19 for off-duty, CCW, undercover, etc carry. With the popularity of the M&P line gaining ground, why not push this offering?

MichaelD
01-26-10, 22:19
Actually, I'd love to see a G19-sized M&P9. I like my M&P9c but feel my M&P9 is too big for everyday carry; a 14- or 15-round M&P9m (midsize) would be very nice indeed.

Don Glock
01-27-10, 05:50
https://billstclair.com/blog/images/wspcard.jpg

Palmguy
01-27-10, 06:17
Unless I missed someone talking about it.....I was shocked, when I didn't notice anyone complaining about S&W not offering a version to compete with the G19 in 9mm. The compact is smaller than the G19, and the MP9 is bigger. Why not a mid-size M&P in 9mm? I think this would do the most damage to the Glock market share to date. Many a people love the G19 for off-duty, CCW, undercover, etc carry. With the popularity of the M&P line gaining ground, why not push this offering?

It's been discussed here on a few occasions. I'd love to see that myself. It's such a marginal change from the compact and full size that it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever see it though.

M4arc
01-27-10, 07:26
Thanks for the pictures Vin!

By the looks of it I might be better off carrying a M&P9c instead.

crowkiller
01-27-10, 07:52
It looks like that frame is cut for a thumb safety. Is that some kind of plug?

C4IGrant
01-27-10, 08:27

Totally agree.

I know S&W is coming out with some new models in the M&P line so they might more directly compete with the G19.

C4

C4IGrant
01-27-10, 08:30
It looks like that frame is cut for a thumb safety. Is that some kind of plug?

Correct.

C4

crowkiller
01-27-10, 08:49
Correct.

C4

Does Smith sell these plugs? My M&P has the thumb safety and Id like to remove and plug it so I can use laser grips.

CaptainDooley
01-27-10, 08:50
If I decide to move back to a .45 - this is the gun I'll look at first. The size looks just about perfect. I looked at the HK45 before deciding to move to 9mm, and it was a great gun, but ridiculously huge for a mere 10 rounds of .45ACP. Then I decided I could shoot more for less and could probably talk the wife into shooting if I had a 9mm, so the search for a poly .45 ended there. Now I know where to pick back up - thanks Grant!

I disagree, thin people can hide guns in between their bone points, us fatter folk have fat in the way.

Suffice it to say, my attempts to adequately conceal bigger autos have been utter failures. Note that my definition of "adequate" may be more thorough than yours.

Not to derails this too much more - but I have always carried a full sized auto. I am 6', 260# - so I'm a little "plus sized". I can hide a FS M&P9 or 1911 so well my wife will have to hug me to know if I'm carrying. It is possible - it just takes the right holster. My first 2 holsters I might as well have open carried, or just worn a sign that said "I HAVE A GUN". But once I found one that worked *FOR ME*, it became easy.

timbo813
01-27-10, 09:14
They could even just come out with a 14 or 15 round magazine with an x-grip type spacer built in. That would make the grip the same size as a g19 and should be extremely easy for them to do. That mag would fit a 9c as is and people could cut the grip down on their full size to fit as well.

I would like to to see them come out with a mid sized 9 just so I could buy a couple mags.

ralph
01-27-10, 09:15
Does Smith sell these plugs? My M&P has the thumb safety and Id like to remove and plug it so I can use laser grips.

I'm interested as well, I'm thinking about removing my saftey levers.

C4IGrant
01-27-10, 09:56

I believe that they do. If not, I am sure there is some after market company does.

C4

HES
01-27-10, 10:10
Add my voice to those who agree. My wife for instance, would like a mid-sized pistol.

Palmguy
01-27-10, 10:22
Thanks for the pictures Vin!

By the looks of it I might be better off carrying a M&P9c instead.

You carry 19s now right? As someone who is used to the G19, I do find the M&P9c with the extended floorplate to be just within the range of what I feel comfortable carrying as far as grip length goes...

M4arc
01-27-10, 10:29
You carry 19s now right? As someone who is used to the G19, I do find the M&P9c with the extended floorplate to be just within the range of what I feel comfortable carrying as far as grip length goes...

Yes I carry a G19 now (sometimes I carry a G26) and when I looked at the M&P9c it seemed to be a little smaller than the G19 but a little larger than the G26. I fondled quite a few M&P9c models and thought it was comfortable with both floor plates.

I would like to see S&W come out with a G19 sized M&P that holds 15 rounds.

Erik 1
01-27-10, 10:52

You can also simply cut off the right side safety lever if you want to use Crimson Trace grips. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=23443

RogerinTPA
01-27-10, 12:10
So it appears that many have had the same thought as me (G19 in a 45).

I think most people don't know anything about them (which I intend to fix). :D

C4

I often thought the Mid-sized M&P45 was the perfect .45 for all occasions. I wish they had been available when the line was first introduced when I got my FS M&P45. No complaints to the FS though. If the ammo wasn't so friggin expensive, I'd still be training with it. Now it pulls bed stand duty. I used to see them all the time in my AO, but for the past 9 months or so, not so much. I'm still debating whether to trading to a midsize, if and when they become available in my area.

RogerinTPA
01-27-10, 12:15
Yes I carry a G19 now (sometimes I carry a G26) and when I looked at the M&P9c it seemed to be a little smaller than the G19 but a little larger than the G26. I fondled quite a few M&P9c models and thought it was comfortable with both floor plates.

I don't have any problems with concealment of the FS 9 or 40 in the same MTAC holster that I use for my 9c, but a middy 9 or 40 would be a great alternative to the full size 9 or 40. For now, if I need more ammo when concealed, I use the FS9 mag in the 9c.

dookie1481
01-27-10, 13:59

My buddy carries this gun in a Minotaur and he loves it. It conceals pretty well for him being a fat guy :D

Jay

Magsz
01-27-10, 16:26
Totally agree.

I know S&W is coming out with some new models in the M&P line so they might more directly compete with the G19.

C4

Wait...what?

What are you implying?

CaptainDooley
01-27-10, 16:58
Wait...what?

What are you implying?

Yes - Details please (provided you can give them to us).

C4IGrant
01-27-10, 17:04
Wait...what?

What are you implying?

Reading comprehension is strong with this one. :D

S&W is going to be coming out with some new models (that were not shown at Shot).

While I really cannot say much more, I think a lot of CCW types will be interested.

C4

QuietShootr
01-27-10, 17:06

S&W is going to be coming out with some new models (that were not shown at Shot).

While I really cannot say much more, I think a lot of CCW types will be interested.

C4

Nothing that is going to compete with the mid-45, though, right?

C4IGrant
01-27-10, 17:18
Nothing that is going to compete with the mid-45, though, right?

I really don't know what calibers they are going to make the new models in.

C4

Palmguy
01-27-10, 17:21

C4

Does any kind of a timetable fall under "things you cannot say"? :D

LeonCarr
01-27-10, 17:22
I carry a full size M&P .45 everyday and like it. Accurate, fits my hand perfectly with the small backstrap, over 2500 trouble free rounds. I switched from the Glocks and Sigs to the M&P and haven't looked back.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

calvin118
01-27-10, 19:04
They could even just come out with a 14 or 15 round magazine with an x-grip type spacer built in. That would make the grip the same size as a g19 and should be extremely easy for them to do. That mag would fit a 9c as is and people could cut the grip down on their full size to fit as well.

I would like to to see them come out with a mid sized 9 just so I could buy a couple mags.

That would be a fantastic idea. I currently have a 9c. While I can grip it well enough when my hands are dry, my pinky slips off if my hands get sweaty or the gun gets slick. Another centimeter or so (or a longer aftermarket extension base plate) would really be welcomed.

buckshot1220
01-28-10, 06:40
I wonder if the implication is that they will making factory short grip models? A full size slide on a compact grip in 9/40/45.

Business_Casual
01-28-10, 07:32
Well, they have a full size (G17 type) and they have a compact (G26 type) but they don't have a midsize (G19 type) so your guess is that it is a long slide on a compact grip?

No, I think not. I am going to guess it is a midsize CCW version of the M&P FS. Glock sells a lot of G19s.

M_P

C4IGrant
01-28-10, 08:54
Does any kind of a timetable fall under "things you cannot say"? :D

I really don't know (sorry).

C4

C4IGrant
01-28-10, 08:56
One other thing to consider when trying to decide between the 45 Compact and 45 Mid-Frame. You can use the S&W 14rd mags with the mid-framed 45, but not the compact.

From a training class aspect, this is an important feature IMHO.

C4

decodeddiesel
01-28-10, 09:31

C4

Dear S&W,

Please make this gun. Please give it a capacity of 15 rounds, and make the grip .75" longer than the compact model. Also please use the existing Compact slide assembly so those of us with your Compact models can continue to use the same holsters.

Thank you, that is all.

DD

Magsz
01-28-10, 11:05
Dear S&W,

Please make this gun. Please give it a capacity of 15 rounds, and make the grip .75" longer than the compact model. Also please use the existing Compact slide assembly so those of us with your Compact models can continue to use the same holsters.

Thank you, that is all.

DD

Amen.

Im dying for a gun that is G19 sized. I love my compact but its just SLIGHTLY too small in grip length when there is no mag in the gun with the finger extension on.

MichaelD
01-28-10, 11:20
One other thing to consider when trying to decide between the 45 Compact and 45 Mid-Frame. You can use the S&W 14rd mags with the mid-framed 45, but not the compact.

C4

Actually, yes you can use the 14-rounders with the Compact; you just need some Custom Carry Concepts grip extensions for the magazine... or you can go ghetto and just use it without the extra cladding.

It's really no different than using full-size 17-round magazines with a 9c, which I do quite often.

C4IGrant
01-28-10, 12:28
Actually, yes you can use the 14-rounders with the Compact; you just need some Custom Carry Concepts grip extensions for the magazine... or you can go ghetto and just use it without the extra cladding.

It's really no different than using full-size 17-round magazines with a 9c, which I do quite often.

Yes, technically can, but would never use it with the S&W made 14rd mags as it creates a gap in the grip.

C4

MichaelD
01-28-10, 12:39
Yes, technically can, but would never use it with the S&W made 14rd mags as it creates a gap in the grip.
C4

With how ugly the darn things are stock, I'd remove the standard extension anyway and just go ghetto all the time. I'd probably put on some flat compact baseplates just like I did with all my 9mm 17-rounders, too.

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be difficult for Rich at CCC to make up a set of extensions for the bare 14-rounders, too.

buckshot1220
01-28-10, 17:02
Well, they have a full size (G17 type) and they have a compact (G26 type) but they don't have a midsize (G19 type) so your guess is that it is a long slide on a compact grip?

No, I think not. I am going to guess it is a midsize CCW version of the M&P FS. Glock sells a lot of G19s.

M_P

Apparently I did not read Grant's post about the new models answering the G19/23 market:eek:

RyanS
01-28-10, 21:05
Why do I feel myself being drawn to the M&P lineup again? Between this thread and the APEX sear thread, I'm starting to get all confused.

Biggy
01-29-10, 00:18
Why do I feel myself being drawn to the M&P lineup again? Between this thread and the APEX sear thread, I'm starting to get all confused.

Probably for the same reason I did again, because its gripframe is one of one of the best feeling and pointing out there, IMHO . Also with the aftermarket comming out with improved fire control parts, like sears, FPB plungers, trigger bars, strikers,extractors, different weight springs for the previous applications, etc., the future is looking real good for the M&P pistols.

John_Wayne777
01-29-10, 00:38

The M&P 9C is indeed smaller than the G19, larger than the G26. Personally I don't see the need for a G19 sized 9/40 gun as the 9C is more compact. I almost always left the G19 at home in favor of the 9C on those occasions when I wanted something smaller than the 9.

DragonDoc
01-31-10, 21:12
I have one of these on order from S&W. I'm just waiting for them to fill the order.

david.scruggs@sbcglobal.n
02-01-10, 13:57
Very informative thread. I carry a M&P 45C in my MTAC. It is nearly identical in size to a G19, it even fits in my molded leather G19 holsters. I'm 6'1" and about 255 (definitely plus size) and I can conceal it well when I position it at about 4:00.

Minor thread drift, but I'd like to find some 10 round mags for the M&P with an "adapter" to fill the gap between the end of the grip and the mag baseplate. I've checked A&G, and X-Grip, but no such product. Any ideas?

awmp
02-21-10, 19:24
I have been hooked on the M&P series (3 so far) and I am looking at the M&P Mid Size 45acp very seriously. I would like to find one in person but they seem to sell out quick.

Serpico1985
02-21-10, 21:14
I this thread combined with issues I'm having with my hk45 will likely lead to me trading the Hk for the mp45. I got tunnel visioned on the HK when i bought it. After going to the gun show and handling some 4" mp45's I can't seem to find a good reason to keep the HK.

The size difference between the HK45 and the mp45 4" are huge with ccw in mind. The HK is a good shooter but I suffer from the biting issue while shooting, plus I don't like the stock sights and mags are like $70 when you can find them. I can trade it in and get a 4" FDE with real night sights and a few extra mags and depending on my bartering ability maybe some left over money.

I'm going to the gun store in the morning. I'll let yall know what happens. Thanks for reminding me about this gun.

LockenLoad
02-21-10, 22:02
Some of the slide releases are on the tough side (not all of them). The trigger does need work, but is fine for combat applications. The APEX Sear (for $29) is all that is needed to improve the trigger.

The HK45(C) has issues with pinching ones finger between the trigger guard and trigger. This is a problem that you have to fix.

C4

that's never happened to me, what is the fix just curious?

LockenLoad
02-21-10, 22:11
I this thread combined with issues I'm having with my hk45 will likely lead to me trading the Hk for the mp45. I got tunnel visioned on the HK when i bought it. After going to the gun show and handling some 4" mp45's I can't seem to find a good reason to keep the HK.

The size difference between the HK45 and the mp45 4" are huge with ccw in mind. The HK is a good shooter but I suffer from the biting issue while shooting, plus I don't like the stock sights and mags are like $70 when you can find them. I can trade it in and get a 4" FDE with real night sights and a few extra mags and depending on my bartering ability maybe some left over money.

I'm going to the gun store in the morning. I'll let yall know what happens. Thanks for reminding me about this gun.

the HK is definitely not worth twice the money and the stock sights do suck, I replaced with Heine Straight eights, and the mag price is high, I am going to keep my HK and just get the M&P too. Good luck on your bartering.

Roy
02-21-10, 22:30
Im the outcast here i think...

I IWB a G 21 SF.. great option for me. 13 rounds of ACP and i shoot it well. I like the trigger much better than on my MP45

I carry it 330 ish ina blade tec iwb

6' 1 205#'s

Roy

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 08:59
Im the outcast here i think...

I IWB a G 21 SF.. great option for me. 13 rounds of ACP and i shoot it well. I like the trigger much better than on my MP45

I carry it 330 ish ina blade tec iwb

6' 1 205#'s

Roy

People have different tolerances to what they will and won't carry. A lot of this depends on where you live, body size, etc.

The factory trigger on the M&P 45's suck. Luckily, for about $30, you can change the trigger in the M&P to something that is better than a Glock's (IMHO).

C4

CQC.45
02-22-10, 09:10

C4

You can use the 14rd mags with any M&P45 (including compact), they will just stick out of the end of the grip on the 45c. I know because I have a 45c and 14rd mags.

And yes, i do think the 45c is one of the best carry 45s out there :D

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 10:37
You can use the 14rd mags with any M&P45 (including compact), they will just stick out of the end of the grip on the 45c. I know because I have a 45c and 14rd mags.

And yes, i do think the 45c is one of the best carry 45s out there :D

Yes, I am aware of that, but it is so retarded looking that it just shouldn't be done unless their is an emergency. ;)

Couple that with the fact that your pinky finger fits between the gap in the mag and the frame (which I cannot stand).

C4

brushy bill
03-03-10, 21:25
I'd like to see a single stack mid size or even MP9C size, but that's just me.

DHart
08-07-10, 19:49
This thread piques my interested in the M&P45. All three sizes of the M&P45 appeal to me.

I've looked around a bit on the S&W website and it appears as though the M&P45 4.5" is identical to the M&P45 4", aside from barrel/slide length... is that right?

If I bought an M&P45 4.5" and an M&P45C, could I run the slide/barrel from the 45C on the full size frame and make my own M&P45 4"?

Basically, buying 2 guns would then = all three possible set-ups, right?

Also, S&W states that the M&P45C has an 8-round capacity... do they mean 8+1=9?

Lastly... what's the consensus on thumb safety? I'd be happy without one, and I have read of a number of people taking them off. DO most seem to prefer without?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

ChicagoTex
08-07-10, 21:38
If I bought an M&P45 4.5" and an M&P45C, could I run the slide/barrel from the 45C on the full size frame and make my own M&P45 4"?

Just eyeballing it, that does look like it might be possible, but wait for someone who's tried it to chime in a say it works before you buy both guns with the expectation.

Also, S&W states that the M&P45C has an 8-round capacity... do they mean 8+1=9?

Yes, all official capacities that don't say +1 mean you can add one for carrying in the chamber.

Dave L.
08-08-10, 18:52
The only .45 I carry concealed is a G36, usually with the +1 textured grip extension.
I prefer the size and weight. I not worried about the capacity or lack of rail.
With a raven concealment holster, it's a slim package.

Urabus23
08-08-10, 19:15
This thread piques my interested in the M&P45. All three sizes of the M&P45 appeal to me.

I've looked around a bit on the S&W website and it appears as though the M&P45 4.5" is identical to the M&P45 4", aside from barrel/slide length... is that right?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Somebody on MP-pistol.com did that with his guns and it seemed to work fine. I can't seem to find the thread right now though.

LonghunterCO
08-08-10, 20:05
I'd like to see a single stack mid size or even MP9C size, but that's just me.

There it is! I would be all over that.

Zog
08-08-10, 22:48
I removed the beaver tail from mine and I like it even more now. I want to start carrying it as a duty weapon but I am having a hard time with holster support. I wish Safariland made an ALS for the Middie with a TLR-1.

Omega Man
08-09-10, 01:15

C4
I had the HK45 & HK45C. Never had any pinching issues. Some folks do have this problem, but not everyone.

rathos
08-09-10, 12:57
Personally I prefer the full size. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, and really that isn't too bad. I carry in a UBG canute in a 3 o'clock position. it hides perfectly under t-shirts, untucked polos or button down shirts. I also have no issues with it when sitting in the car.

DHart
08-09-10, 14:45
I usually carry a G23 or G30, IWB at 1 o'clock with a HighNoon holster (appendix carry).

As a result of this thread, I'm going to give a go to carrying my 21SF that way. I love the gun, caliber, and capacity... hopefully it will carry reasonably well for me. Now I head over to HighNoon to order the holster.

M4Fundi
08-10-10, 02:49
Is there that much of a difference between the 4.5 and 4 inch M&P 45? It just seems like if the grip frames are the same that it would be nice to have the extra 1/2 inch in sight radius?????

I carry a P35/BHP almost 5in bbl in a MS VMII and it conceals just fine as far as barrel length goes...

I think I want an M&P 45 and would like to figure out between mid/full since when I have the $ I will probably move fast;)

Magic_Salad0892
08-10-10, 03:07
Is the recoil spring on the M&P .45-C a single spring, or dual captive?

H&K USP-45-C is my favorite compact .45 out there, how does the recoil compare?

I'm going to alternate carrying a Glock 17, and H&K P2000, how does the 9x19mm version compare to these, in terms of shootability? Recoil, speed, point, etc.

I've only shot the full size M&P-9.

I'm 6'1'' - 190 lbs.

OldState
03-14-12, 12:10
With the availability of this....

http://x-grips.com/products/sw-mp-45c/

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=f8055fda8a2b33f3d8de30e2fc0e2067&keyword=m%26p+x+grip+45c

...is their any reason to buy a M&P45 midsized over a M&P45 compact?

KalashniKEV
03-14-12, 12:56
I think the P245 is the G19 of the 45 world.

I know M&Ps get a lot of love here, but I'm not a fan of them out of the box OR after all the money and effort people put into them.

I'm very interested in the HK45C though. I just wish it had a normal mag release button instead of the HK lever.

Maverick07
03-14-12, 13:09
Good thread topic. The M&P 45 mid is a underrated pistol and is one of the few platforms available that sucessfully combine a trim and well thought out package with the .45 ACP cartridge. I carry for duty a Glock 19 Gen 4 and find it an exceptional pistol. No issues. I prefer .45's however and recently was looking at picking up .45 in a package relatively similar to my G19. The options were few. The Glock 30 is a wreck... I would not carry one if it were free. The butter bar thick slide and absurd grip design just pisses me off.

For me the choices came down to the HK45c and the M&P 45 mid. I initially purchased the S&W and tried hard to like the platform. On paper it hand everything I was looking for. However, in practice I just found the grip and the handling not to my liking. I could just not get naturally high in the backstrap and the grip shape was not ideal as it tapers from the front and swells at the rear, even with the small backstrap. I ended up selling the M&P, found a used HK45c and after shooting it I bought it.

I prefer the HK for the ergonomics that work better for me. Yeah... the DA trigger sucks, but the SA is clean enough, and despite the DA it still works better for me than the M&P. That is the bottom line. What works for one shooter does not work the next. The M&P is an excellent pistol... just wish the grip worked for me.

Now if Glock would ever unf**k themselves and introduce a real G19 sized .45 then that would be interesting.

Striker
03-14-12, 13:44
Good thread topic. The M&P 45 mid is a underrated pistol and is one of the few platforms available that sucessfully combine a trim and well thought out package with the .45 ACP cartridge. I carry for duty a Glock 19 Gen 4 and find it an exceptional pistol. No issues. I prefer .45's however and recently was looking at picking up .45 in a package relatively similar to my G19. The options were few. The Glock 30 is a wreck... I would not carry one if it were free. The butter bar thick slide and absurd grip design just pisses me off.

For me the choices came down to the HK45c and the M&P 45 mid. I initially purchased the S&W and tried hard to like the platform. On paper it hand everything I was looking for. However, in practice I just found the grip and the handling not to my liking. I could just not get naturally high in the backstrap and the grip shape was not ideal as it tapers from the front and swells at the rear, even with the small backstrap. I ended up selling the M&P, found a used HK45c and after shooting it I bought it.

I prefer the HK for the ergonomics that work better for me. Yeah... the DA trigger sucks, but the SA is clean enough, and despite the DA it still works better for me than the M&P. That is the bottom line. What works for one shooter does not work the next. The M&P is an excellent pistol... just wish the grip worked for me.

Now if Glock would ever unf**k themselves and introduce a real G19 sized .45 then that would be interesting.

Isn't the Glock 36 almost identical in size to the 19? Any reason why you don't carry that?

Isn't the frame of the midsize and the fullsize M&P the same with the midsize having a shorter barrel and slide?

Maverick07
03-14-12, 14:26
The grip on the 36 is abbreviated like the 26/27. It uses the magazine extension to "complete" the grip. The barrel length is comparable to the G19 but the slide is thicker. The combination of the thicker slide, aborted frame length and mag extension to complete the grip result in a poor handling pistol IMHO. Why not just introduce a G19 frame combined with the G30/36 slide and barrel? If I had to, I would not carry the G36 with the flat base mag due the control issues under recoil. For me, the flexibility to use flat baseplates is offset by the reduction in ergonomics and impact on follow up shots. I admit I have not shot the G30 or 36 with flat baseplates... but then again I don't want to either.

The middy and the full size M&P do use the same size frame. My hand just does not work with well with the M&P 45 mid. Ths slide on the .45 mid is still a bit heavier than the M&P 9mm slide despite being 1/4 inch shorter so it also feels a bit top heavy to me. This is not knock on the M&P 45 mid, just my preferences.

The M&P 45 mid is a tough, well thought out pistol that sucessfully combines the .45 with a good handling, good looking and size efficient platform. It sure knocks the helmet off anything Glock has on the market.

WillBrink
03-14-12, 15:22

1. 4" Slide

Thoughts?

C4

My only addition is to say, not a secret. It's the preferred model and caliber of a lot of the pro M&P folks out there.

Everyone I know who has one, loves it. A joy to shoot (best stock trigger of any I have tried for some reason) but in .45ACP, I was happy enough with my 1911(s), and it was the M&P 9mm with APEX that finally sold me on a plastic wonder pistol.

I doubt very much you'd be unhappy with it if plastic wonder pistol in 45 ACP is your choice. ;)

OldState
03-14-12, 16:05
So with X Grip no making a spacer for 10 round mags, is there any reason not to purchase the compact M&P 45 over the midy? Seems like a more versatile option.

This product was unavailable when this thread was first going.

Striker
03-14-12, 17:14
The grip on the 36 is abbreviated like the 26/27. It uses the magazine extension to "complete" the grip. The barrel length is comparable to the G19 but the slide is thicker. The combination of the thicker slide, aborted frame length and mag extension to complete the grip result in a poor handling pistol IMHO. Why not just introduce a G19 frame combined with the G30/36 slide and barrel? If I had to, I would not carry the G36 with the flat base mag due the control issues under recoil. For me, the flexibility to use flat baseplates is offset by the reduction in ergonomics and impact on follow up shots. I admit I have not shot the G30 or 36 with flat baseplates... but then again I don't want to either.

The middy and the full size M&P do use the same size frame. My hand just does not work with well with the M&P 45 mid. Ths slide on the .45 mid is still a bit heavier than the M&P 9mm slide despite being 1/4 inch shorter so it also feels a bit top heavy to me. This is not knock on the M&P 45 mid, just my preferences.

The M&P 45 mid is a tough, well thought out pistol that sucessfully combines the .45 with a good handling, good looking and size efficient platform. It sure knocks the helmet off anything Glock has on the market.

Makes sense. I've never shot the 36, but have shot the 26, so I understand why you want the mag extension to shoot it. I like the 17 and 19 quite a bit, but beyond 9mm, Glock has never been my favorite pistol. I've shot both the fullsize M&P .45 and the full size HK45. Both are very nice pistols, though the M&P needed trigger work. And I agree, I would take either one of them before a Glock. I haven't had a chance to shoot or even handle an HK45C yet, but want to do that.

JonInWA
03-14-12, 17:16
While this varient of the .45 ACP M&P may well be the greatest thing since Wonder Bread, and I don't mean to disparage the gun, it's potential, or future Smith & Wesson M&P progeny, I've simply never had any issues in carrying my Gen 3 non-SF G21; normally in an IWB Blade-Tech holster, occassionally in a Glock Sport/Combat OWB belt slide.

I'm a bit wary of Smith & Wesson's quality control given the recent issues (and previous ones) that seem to continuously plague the line. Obviously Glock has had some pretty serious issues with their Gen4s, although interestingly enough the Gen4 G21s to date seem to be problem free-at least I haven't seen or heard of any.

If I was searching for a new platform in a .45 ACP combat/defensive handgun, I'd probably take a hard look at both the M&P and HK line-ups in comparison to Glock, but as it is I'm quite satisfied with my Glock G21, and have significant muscle memory and equipment acquisitions around it.

Another alternative might be the Glock G38 in the niche caliber of 45GAP...speaking (literally) of G19 comparable .45 caliber handguns. All the users I know who use it are very satisfied with it, but it is in 45 GAP, which might be a deal-breaker for some.

Best, Jon

Striker
03-14-12, 17:32
While this varient of the .45 ACP M&P may well be the greatest thing since Wonder Bread, and I don't mean to disparage the gun, it's potential, or future Smith & Wesson M&P progeny, I've simply never had any issues in carrying my Gen 3 non-SF G21; normally in an IWB Blade-Tech holster, occassionally in a Glock Sport/Combat OWB belt slide.

I'm a bit wary of Smith & Wesson's quality control given the recent issues (and previous ones) that seem to continuously plague the line. Obviously Glock has had some pretty serious issues with their Gen4s, although interestingly enough the Gen4 G21s to date seem to be problem free-at least I haven't seen or heard of any.

If I was searching for a new platform in a .45 ACP combat/defensive handgun, I'd probably take a hard look at both the M&P and HK line-ups in comparison to Glock, but as it is I'm quite satisfied with my Glock G21, and have significant muscle memory and equipment acquisitions around it.

Another alternative might be the Glock G38 in the niche caliber of 45GAP...speaking (literally) of G19 comparable .45 caliber handguns. All the users I know who use it are very satisfied with it, but it is in 45 GAP, which might be a deal-breaker for some.

Best, Jon

I don't hear of many that carry a G21 concealed. That's one very large pistol. But it works for you, so I understand.

IMHO, .45 GAP is on it's way out. It's a very niche caliber and niche they were trying for doesn't seem to care for it. And I'll be honest enough to say that I like .45 ACP, but would never entertain the idea of buying any pistol in .45 GAP. Their fortunes might change on that caliber, but I just don't see it happening.

strojo
03-14-12, 17:40
I've got the Glock 30SF and the M&P 45C. Pair either up with a Crossbreed Supertuck and you've got the perfect CCW setup in my opinion.

JonInWA
03-14-12, 18:36
I don't hear of many that carry a G21 concealed. That's one very large pistol. But it works for you, so I understand.

IMHO, .45 GAP is on it's way out. It's a very niche caliber and niche they were trying for doesn't seem to care for it. And I'll be honest enough to say that I like .45 ACP, but would never entertain the idea of buying any pistol in .45 GAP. Their fortunes might change on that caliber, but I just don't see it happening.

A G21 really simply just isn't that difficult to conceal; profile-wise, it's still shorter than a Government-length 1911 (although it is undeniably thicker than a single-stack 1911). It is, of course, undeniably easier to conceal a slimmer, shorter-profiled G19/G38 (or the M&Ps and HK45C discussed). I do believe that a G21 is smaller-dimensioned compared to the HK45, though (although HK hardly markets it as a concealed-carry weapon).

Despite Glocks clear commitment to the GAP chambered G37, G38, and G39 to date, I tend to agree with you that it somewhat seems to have been rendered redundant by Glock themselves with the introduction of the G30 SF, and the and the Gen4 G21 with the variable backstrap options. The GAP chambering made significantly more sense in the 1984-1994 timeframe when magazine capacities were restricted, and a 10 round G37 made a certain amount of sense compared to a 13+1 round G21 was neutered down to a 10+1 G21...

The largest market for the GAP guns was, and probably still is, the LEO community, where an organization wants to standardize on a .45 caliber gun amenable to a variety of hand sizes: It achieved sucess in achieving that, and the Gen4 G37 may further perpetuate it's LEO desirability. However, given the advent of the Gen4 G21, the Gap's desirability/market niche would seem to be significantly diminished-time will tell. One of the things that Glock prides itself on is never totally discontinuing a gun, so I suspect that the GAP guns will continue to be available.

The nice thing about the G38 is that it really is a G19-size .45 (albeit with a slightly thicker and heavier slide), and the G19-size receiver limits the reloading pinch factor, especially compared to the G30 (of course, if that's a concern, a G30 user can utilize the longer G21 magazines for reload magazines; likewise a G38 user can use G37 magazines, and G19 users can use G17 magazines). The GAP chambered Glocks aren't my personal cup of tea, but I do understand their logic and appeal.

Best, Jon

Clay
03-14-12, 19:29
I carried a Glock 21 for years in a Threat Solutions UCR IWB holster. No problems, and I'm not a huge guy. I actually found a Glock 21 more comfortable when sitting than a Glock 23, when carried in the same model IWB. The grip of the 19/23 seems to poke me more than the longer 17/21. I carried a 1911 for years and found the size and shape ideal for IWB carry, although it weighed a ton compared to a Glock.

Nephrology
03-14-12, 22:38
If/when I decide to move to .45 ACP for carry it will be the M&P45. I've thought as much for some time. Budget won't have it right now, though. One day.

MWC4
03-15-12, 00:41
I have an HK HK45 that fits me like a glove, but if I had the money, I would have a Dan Wesson (CZ) V-Bob in satin stainless - the best $1,500 .45 out there.

Sensei
03-15-12, 07:46
Is the recoil spring on the M&P .45-C a single spring, or dual captive?

H&K USP-45-C is my favorite compact .45 out there, how does the recoil compare?

I'm going to alternate carrying a Glock 17, and H&K P2000, how does the 9x19mm version compare to these, in terms of shootability? Recoil, speed, point, etc.

I've only shot the full size M&P-9.

I'm 6'1'' - 190 lbs.

The M&P45c has a captive single recoil spring. Its recoil is very similar to the H&K USP45c.

Although the H&K P2000 has better ergos, I shoot he G17 a little quicker due to the heavy DA trigger pull on my H&K's first round. I've tried the LEM version, but could not get over the loooong uptake to like it.

TedG
03-15-12, 07:49
I recommend a lightweight G21SF.....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/2012-02-271.jpg

jwfuhrman
03-15-12, 09:01
If I carry a 45, I prefer the Mid Sized M&P 45. It's still got the full frame, but a slightly shorter slide. Not a fan of the compacts or sub compacts as my giant ape hands don't get a good grip on them.

Jrb78usaf
03-15-12, 10:21
I've carried everything from a Glock 22, 23, 27, and a full size 1911. I do prefer the 1911 due to it being a lot slimmer due to single stack. As long as you are a decent sized person with the right holster you'll never see any printing or have any comfort issues. There's also never anything wrong with a good J frame. Too each his own.

one
03-16-12, 01:00
Any option for a factory threaded barrel for this gun?

Or aftermarket?

DragonDoc
03-16-12, 12:52
I love my M&P 45 mid-size. It is reliable and just the right size for concealed carry. When I was in the market for an M&P, I went to the S&W website to get a look at the models. I didn't want a compact as I felt the grip would be to small for my hands. I figured I try to get the best of both worlds and compromise and get the midsize. I thought that everyone knew about the midsize but I have noticed that the gun tends to get overlooked when magazines review the M&P 45 ACP line-up.

DocGKR
03-16-12, 14:45
If I wanted to carry an .45 ACP pistol I'd go with the M&P45, HK45c, or a custom LW 5" 1911--the G21 is another option, but a touch large...

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-16-12, 14:51
I do carry a .45 concealed. Mine is a Colt Cco with Heinie sights. Short grip and 4.25 inch barrel are a nice combo. It is hard to beat because it is so thin and light, not to mention easy to shoot well.

I tried the HK45c rout and although it is certainly more reliable, the chunkiness of all the doubles stack guns make IWB a hassle for this fat belly.

Watrdawg
03-16-12, 15:26
I've been carrying a S&W M&P 45Mid concealed in a RCS holster for about a year now and love it. I've also put it through 3 different classes and the only malfunction I had was ammo related. So after about 2K rounds and only 3 ammo related malfs all I can say is the next 45 I get will be a M&P Mid. I did have the APEX DCAEK installed and the trigger is a ot nice than the original. Accuracy has always been excellent in a variety of ammo. I'm only 5'5" and 175 and this weapon is easily concealable for me. In the winter when I'm wearing heavier clothing a RCS OWB holster works great also.

OldState
03-16-12, 20:29
In regards to the mid sized M&P, does the extra 1/2" of barrel really affect the ability to conceal this pistol? I'm thinking this may why some people over look the mid sized.

Bulldog7972
03-16-12, 21:22
I think the P245 is the G19 of the 45 world.

I know M&Ps get a lot of love here, but I'm not a fan of them out of the box OR after all the money and effort people put into them.

I'm very interested in the HK45C though. I just wish it had a normal mag release button instead of the HK lever.

I agree. I just wish that someone would make a Plus One mag extension or something similar for my 245.. I can't stand the X Grip.

CDR_Glock
03-16-12, 23:24
I carry a G30 or G36. My 1911 THUG is too long to carry concealed. I haven't put my Brown Special forces 1911 through the ringer enough to try carrying but it is very ergonomic.

iPad/Tapatalk

jwfuhrman
04-25-12, 22:45
In regards to the mid sized M&P, does the extra 1/2" of barrel really affect the ability to conceal this pistol? I'm thinking this may why some people over look the mid sized.

Not to necropost but I was wondering the same thing. I can find full size M&P 45's in stock some places but yet to find a mid size which is what I'd prefer! I hate thumb safeties and that seems to be all I can find on the FS FDE as well.

Can the thumb safety be removed?

OldState
04-26-12, 14:47
Not to necropost but I was wondering the same thing. I can find full size M&P 45's in stock some places but yet to find a mid size which is what I'd prefer! I hate thumb safeties and that seems to be all I can find on the FS FDE as well.

Can the thumb safety be removed?

Many people recommend the mid sized but not many wish to comment on this question or the others I posted.

With the ability to use a full size magazine with a x grip in the compact I cant see a logical reason for getting the mid sized gun.

I just ordered a full size. Unless someone wants to weigh in and convince me otherwise, the mid seems pointless. My decision was between the compact and the FS.

I will probably get a 9c or Shield for more discreet carry.

And yes, you can remove the safety. There are videos on Youtube.

jwfuhrman
04-26-12, 16:13
And yes, you can remove the safety. There are videos on Youtube.

cool, thanks, I will most likely go this route unless the mid size comes instock

Psalms144.1
04-26-12, 19:37
I'm lucky enough that we have new HK45Cs to play with, and I'm VERY impressed by that pistol's accuracy. I'm talking 10 yard 10-shot groups off hand into two inches, if I'm doing my part. It's size-comparable to a G19, and has to be the softest shooting lightweight compact 45 I've ever shot.

On the down side, they're base price is VERY high, magazines are stupidly expensive, and the DA/SA trigger varies from acceptable to full-blown suck (my DA is probably 14 pounds and as gritty as a Lorcin trigger).

I've never met an M&P that I liked, in any size or caliber, but that's just me.

I had a G30SF that I loved, but it's pretty chunky for anything but OWB carry, and, on the belt, makes a pretty thick "bump" when you're trying to conceal it. But, it's lightweight, accurate enough, reasonably easy to control, and holds 10+1 of .45 ACP goodness...

Regards,

Kevin

Arik
04-26-12, 21:39
I know im a little late to this party but here is my MP45. I bought tbis used a little over a year ago. It came with trijicon night sights and Apex upgrade kit. Also the previous owner did all the stippling and slightly polished the slide.

It has been nothing but reliable since day one

So for the crappy pics.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/B2376D07-orig.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/6290DC05-orig.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/BB03B125-orig.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/Snapbucket/77D00595-orig.jpg

SteveS
05-06-12, 16:24
Somewhat off topic but I was able to shoot an XD45 compact and as a 1911 owner I have liked plastic pistols better since I tried a Glock back in I think around 1985"when they first were on the U.S.A. market".

Dos Cylindros
05-06-12, 16:30
I'm using the M&P 45c for off duty carry. I replaced the flat mag base plate with an extended S&W base plate and for me it is the perfect off duty CCW gun. Just a hair smaller than the M&P 40 I carry on duty and about the same size as the G19/G23. The mid size grip is a bit long for my style of dress when carrying concealed, so for me the compact is perfect. Even with the flat base plate magazine, I can still get all three fingers on the grip, no pinky hanging off.

JAYTEAM
05-12-12, 08:09
I had ordered one of these for a local customer recently and it made me think about it as a CCW option. So I ordered four more of them.

C4

+1

That is why I just use a G19 for everything these days.