PDA

View Full Version : M4C Group Practice

Failure2Stop
01-25-10, 17:47
I would like to get a monthly (or possibly more frequent) practice group together.
I have a few guys working on ranges, but if anyone has any other leads I would like to know. In short, the range needs to support dynamic movement, wide arcs, preferably 100 yards+ of shootable distance, steel, and IPSC/IDPA target stands. If barricades and such are available it would be good, but we should be able to get ahold of some folding banquet type tables that can work in a pinch. This would be primarily combat carbine work with some precision skills worked on as well.

I don't really intend on doing much teaching per se, but rather run some core-skill practice for whoever wants to join.

I am in the Eastern part of NC, so about the furthest I want to drive is Raleigh, unless the range facilities are kick-ass.

If I get enough interest and have access to a good range I will explain minimum skill and physical requirements and such. I would prefer to do this on Saturdays in the early afternoon.

My job might require me to be absent occasionally, so the schedule will have to be flexible. Anyone interested/willing to do some footwork to get this running?

Failure2Stop
01-25-10, 21:48
Ok guys.
I have potential leads on three or four ranges.
Who out there would be interested in a tenative Feb shoot?
How far are people willing to travel?
For me, about 4 hours is max, otherwise the day will start late.
A couple of ranges could support night shooting, any interest?

I want to reemphasize that this will NOT be a "class", but rather a group shoot with others for the individual to evaluate and critique their techniques for improvement. I am more than happy to discuss techniques and demo things, but I will not be actively coaching or fault checking.

Expect to sign waivers and pay a range fee. How much will depend on facility.
I would really like to have an EMT present, and they usually like to get paid for their time.

Tornado_Racing
01-26-10, 02:09
I'm in the Charlotte area and would be willing to travel 2-3 hours.

Failure2Stop
01-26-10, 22:15
It looks like I might have a range, pending a meet and greet and range recon.
It is in S. E. Virginia.
While this may be an issue with S. NC and W. NC shooters, it isn't too far from me (approx 3.5 to 4 hours) to be plausible.
I would not expect a date any sooner than mid-Feb.
At least that will give those of you within driving distance time to get ammo and gear ready to go.

Anyway, just a heads up that it is coming together and for interested parties to start rogering-up.

So who wants to do some shooting?!

Abraxas
01-26-10, 22:23
So who wants to do some shooting?!

Love to, but I think that it is too far;)

C45P312
01-26-10, 22:23
Might want to post this in the VA training group to?

I'm up for it as I live in SE VA. Can possibly bring steel too.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help since I may be local.

Tornado_Racing
01-28-10, 05:28
From Charlotte how far of a drive would I be looking at up to VA?

I'm no LEO nor do I have any Military training, but would love to learn as much as a day of training/learning would offer.

ETA: what restrictions on transporting firearms across state lines?

m4carbine
01-28-10, 06:01
i am interested. pls lmk when the range is decided upon and where it is. i'm coming from fayetteville.

Jay Cunningham
01-28-10, 08:07
Damn,

Not my AO but I'd be sorely tempted to drive down for one of these...

:cool:

Vinh
01-28-10, 12:56
Very interested!

luxor
01-28-10, 19:08
Yeah, i am in. looking forward to shooting with you again.

01-28-10, 20:07
F2S- Whereabouts in S.E. VA? Count me in if it's not too far. Sounds like it has potential. Maybe a heads up on range conditions/layout so know whether to drive Jeep or 4-door. If coming, will bring a 6933 so will need week or so to get ATF permission to transport over state lines.

VMI-MO
01-28-10, 20:12
The range that is being considered is located in Jarratt, VA.

Access to this range is pretty good. If there is alot of rain, the road might be muddy. Usually it is in excellent shape.

PJ

C45P312
01-28-10, 20:40
The range that is being considered is located in Jarratt, VA.

Access to this range is pretty good. If there is alot of rain, the road might be muddy. Usually it is in excellent shape.

PJ

Cool, I'm in! And can provide steel.

jwfuhrman
01-28-10, 20:54
if you guys get this going and plan on maybe doin some practice the weekend of the NRA Annual show in North Carolina, Id like to come if thats possible. I have vacation scheduled for May 14-17(Friday-Monday). Im gonna be coming from Indiana for the show and would love to do some shooting while away, and meet some of you guys. Ill have a friend with me as well who is a member here (runswithguns and possibly cschwanz)

c0b2a
01-31-10, 22:28
interested for sure, at Fayetteville also so just put info out as it comes in.

Icculus
02-02-10, 15:22
Thread subscribed to.

I'm over in the western part of the state (Asheville). I realize a lot of you are probably over in the east (Charlotte, Fayetteville, etc.) but I'm definitely interested in meeting some new good people to shoot with and could possible make a periodic trip depending on the location/distance and dates.

Jsaleen
02-02-10, 18:07
I'm also in the western part of the state (Wilkesboro), but I would be willing to 3-4 hours to meet some cool people and learn a little bit. I may drive farther every other weekend if you get a large organized group together.

catatonic
02-03-10, 00:08
I'm little bit more west (2 hours from Asheville), but up for anyone out this way.

02-03-10, 09:45
The site under consideration is approx. 3 hrs. from me(Asheboro). Would be approx. 5.5 hrs. from Asheville. Wilkesboro-maybe 4 hrs.

HiggsBoson
02-03-10, 09:59
I'm moving to the NC (raleigh/triangle) area in the near future; say 3-6 months. I'd like to get involved in practice in a group setting.

Failure2Stop
03-07-10, 21:15
Guys, quick update-
Finally got enough time to check out VMI-MOs range.
It looks good, and VMI and his buddies are good people.
I am looking forward to getting back up there and getting some good practice in.
Will get firm dates as soon as possible when schedules align.
Apologies for the time gaps, but Uncle Sam always gets his first.

03-10-10, 12:50
Keepin' an eye on this.

lowspeed4u
05-11-10, 10:32
I'm down for training once I get to NC, and as long as the wife says I can..LOL

ZZBLAZEZZ
05-13-10, 18:40
The Raleigh area is about 4 hours from me but im game. Hopefully the dates work out for everyone.

Serpico1985
07-11-10, 21:55
I'm in Charlotte and would be willing to drive a good way for a full day of shooting.

SHIVAN
07-12-10, 09:02
I have friends down in north Raleigh, I would be up for a day long practice session @ Drake's Landing or nearby there.

chubs
08-16-10, 21:23
I can't make a trip up that way, but if anybody heads down south towards the border, let me know.

Watrdawg
08-31-10, 07:24
I'm in Fayetteville and would love to participate.

VMI-MO
08-31-10, 23:30
I am looking to get this idea going again.

Range would be located in Jarratt, VA. We have steel targets, and up to 400m of range to use.

Time frame would be sometime in October.

This would NOT be a formal class. Just a group of guys getting together shooting some pre-planned drills and offering advice to one another.

If interested leave a response here, with possible dates that work for you. Or you can email/ PM me.

PJ

VMI_Marine
09-01-10, 06:20
Not sure I can make the trek up 95 to Jarrat. If anyone's interested, there is an outdoor range in the Morehead City/Newport area. I haven't been over there to scope it out yet, but a friend recommends it. He shoots CQB matches there.

C45P312
09-01-10, 06:58
I am looking to get this idea going again.

Range would be located in Jarratt, VA. We have steel targets, and up to 400m of range to use.

Time frame would be sometime in October.

This would NOT be a formal class. Just a group of guys getting together shooting some pre-planned drills and offering advice to one another.

If interested leave a response here, with possible dates that work for you. Or you can email/ PM me.

PJ
I'm up for it. Here are my free weekend dates:
Oct 2-3, 9-10, 16-17

theblackknight
09-05-10, 14:45
Guys, quick update-
Finally got enough time to check out VMI-MOs range.
It looks good, and VMI and his buddies are good people.
I am looking forward to getting back up there and getting some good practice in.
Will get firm dates as soon as possible when schedules align.
Apologies for the time gaps, but Uncle Sam always gets his first.

Have you contacted Ant Hill yet?

Im game.

Failure2Stop
09-09-10, 18:01
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been in this thread recently.
I deployed in late August, so the probability of me making a session anytime soon is pretty slim.
VMI-MO is a good guy with a nice (if a bit of the beaten track ;)) little range. If anyone wants to pick this up and run with it go right ahead.

Cheers
-F2S

aguy09
09-09-10, 21:30
I'd be interested in something near Jarratt. I'm about 45 minutes from there.

I'm VMI '88 by the way.

Keydet08
09-11-10, 23:45
I'm up for another trip to the farm. I get back from the 'stan mid October.

VMI-MO
09-15-10, 10:29
I'm up for another trip to the farm. I get back from the 'stan mid October.

Any time bud. Just let me know when and we can make it happen.

PJ

Blastem
09-25-10, 17:57
I'm in Charlotte and would be willing to make the drive - maybe car pool with others in Charlotte and/ or Raleigh area.

VMI-MO
10-05-10, 18:56
UPDATE

Gents,
Due to some upcoming training, and some other things that have not worked out because of time I am going to have to push back this event.

Expect another warno on this late this month or early next month for another shoot going down in the middle of November.

If I were to go ahead with running this on the 16th it would not be up to par and would not be as good of an experience as it could of been for all those involved.

Dave in NC
10-06-10, 22:09
Hmmmm....

Just thinking out loud here... :confused:

I have a suitable range (up to 100 yards) and *might* be willing to offer it to the "cause"... :dance3:

(It's just that everytime I cross this thread I feel "convicted" to offer this range, since I'm blessed enough to work in LE and be a Firearms Instructor and have access to a good range, in this day and age of declining PUBLIC ranges...)

I'm halfway between Asheville and Charlotte, so this would put you WESTERN guys back in the mix...

Because I'm a cop and expect the worst I guess... :D or at least want to be clear about some considerations/conditions/thoughts from the outset... I know this might sound like I'm a butthole (to offer up a range then lay lots of conditions and hoops to jump through) but anyone in LE can understand why I'm cautious, and I want to be clear from the start, in case this happens...

*I'm pretty busy with training this month and TIME OFF next month, so it might be hard to schedule...

*This is the Sheriff's Office's range, so we would have to plan around all scheduled training...it would probably have to be on a Saturday.

*Although I'm not a POWER TRIP NAZI... :big_boss: since I'm a SO firearms instructor I would have to be the "supervisor" for safety and insurance purposes, and we are VERY SAFE...some things that work great on public ranges or "out in the backyard with my brother" don't fly on ours... :rolleyes:

Also unlike some paid ranges, we wouldn't be able to run everybody on their own, doing their own thing. We could have a group handgun session on the pavement, then a group rifle session, then shotguns (I don't care for them but they used them in the old west and in the Great War. :sarcastic: ) After that, if anyone wanted to work on specific skills, they could have a range and me (or any other LEOs or certified instructors that could come) run with them for short periods.

We would have to keep this SMALL...I'm thinking 8 or 10 or less... If it got bigger, it looks like a"class" and I will be the only SO rep there, so it would not go smoothly. If demand was higher, I'd rather do two different dates with 6-10 each, than one day with 20 people.

Let's keep this "adults only" unless you have an older teen who is VERY mature, and then I'd still like to preplan with you personally.

GFs/BFs and wives/husbands would be fine, but if they are a non-shooter, they would probably be mightily bored...

Like the OP said (disclaimer) This would NOT be a "class" but you guys would be there WITH ME as "my friends". ;)

Like the OP also said, I would be willing to offer critique, advice, or even some light "coaching", but it would not be a "class" per se. If your skill level is higher than mine, then I certainly expect some coaching and tips! :neo:

Possible scenario...

*Meet at 12:00 at a local restaurant to "meet and greet" and we could talk about what everyone wanted to get out of the "range time". This would allow some driving time for anyone 3-4 hours away...

EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T A CLASS ;) I would pick a restaurant with a meeting room for privacy... Please humor me and allow me to cover safety THERE before we walk onto the range...

Then go to the range around 1:30 PM, and do our thing. If anyone needed to get on the road early, I'd try to accommodate them first.

By the time we could do the "get together" it would be "dark-ish" by 5:30 PM or 6:00 PM, so we would have to wind down by then.

We could finish up at a restaurant, and hopefully for my hosting and work and "goodwill" my check would magically disappear... :p

Anybody still reading :laugh: and willing to jump through all these hoops, let me know what you think...

welchtactical
10-06-10, 22:42
Im in the Charlotte area, Raleigh and Fayetteville. Shoot a lot down at Range 37 PSR. Shot the Gunfighter match out there last weekend. Im down for whenever... anyone wanna shoot PM me.

Travis B
01-11-11, 18:28
Just subscribing, and wondering if anything ever took off the ground with this group shoot. I'm definitely down if I can get some ammo together and work around my really busy semester at college.

Mr.Bickle
01-17-11, 21:52
I'm new to NC and willing to check out any type of range near my new location. I'm in Apex (minutes from raleigh) and I'd be up for any type of training/range days that might be happening in the area, or within an hours drive. The only local range I've been to is the Wake county firearms education center. They have a 100m indoor range! Sadly, can't shoot steel in there for obvious reasons so it just isn't the same.

I have everything I need on hand and usually able to clear my schedule with some notice.

theblackknight
01-17-11, 21:58
Im in the Charlotte area, Raleigh and Fayetteville. Shoot a lot down at Range 37 PSR. Shot the Gunfighter match out there last weekend. Im down for whenever... anyone wanna shoot PM me.

Question.

I know there are 2 "Range 37's" one on bragg and one owned by some dude that people seem to hate. You shoot at the one on bragg????? http://www.range37combatshoot.com/index.html

They never update the website and I hear word about matches gets passed word of mouth. Anybody got any info?

Gunny Highway
02-03-11, 04:55
i am out of town for a while but i am game when i get back. im down by jacksonville so if can work this within three or so hours of there, thats a bonus. drakes landing seems like a good facility. they have practical matches on a regular schedual and have been supportive of classes, so if we can throw more business to a place like that, all the better.

Psybain
08-05-12, 23:17
Any interest in trying to get this up and going again? It sounds like a good way to get in some good training and to make new friends.

7.62WildBill
08-26-12, 17:35
I am interested. In Newport, about 30 minutes from Jacksonville.

RIDE
08-26-12, 18:04
Is Austin, TX too far away F2S? Maybe just monthly, instead of twice per month?

please?

lol :)

Psybain
08-26-12, 18:31
You aren't too Dar from me, wildbill. I'm up in New bern. where do you normally go to shoot?

Ride, you can join us as often as you can afford it ;)

7.62WildBill
08-26-12, 19:27
Psybain,

A good deal of my shooting is .22's and shotguns behind the boatshop where I work. If I am shooting rifles it is either on friends' private land or B&R gun range on Lake Rd. in Havelock. I have only recently heard of Sureshot out on Adams Creek. Have you been there?

RIDE
08-26-12, 20:03
Ride, you can join us as often as you can afford it ;)

touche' :laugh:

Psybain
08-26-12, 20:07
I haven't been there yet, but I'm probably going to stop by there on Fri or sat and zero my ddm4 with my wife. Are you on the NCGO forums at all?

7.62WildBill
08-27-12, 06:05
I am not on NCGO. I have heard good reports about Sureshot. Let me know when you are going and maybe I can meet you there. I generally prefer to avoid local public ranges on the weekends. Ever since I started to become educated on M4C, large groups of poorly trained people with guns make me nervous!

Failure2Stop
08-27-12, 08:38
I shoot a lot down at Ant Hill, near Southport/Bolivia NC. Great range.
They have a very strict "3 visits limit for non-members" policy. However, if we hold it as a "class" I can bring people in as students, but will need to cover a range fee. They hold matches almost every Sunday, and usually setup for matches on Saturday, so weekends aren't great there except the first weekend of the month.

I could get behind a 3 to 4 hour training session where we would focus on one or two skills. If you are interested, pm me or hit this thread up. If there is enough response I will start a new thread and we can get more detail worked out there.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Failure2Stop
08-27-12, 08:40
Is Austin, TX too far away F2S? Maybe just monthly, instead of twice per month?

please?

lol :)

I'll be in Texas in October, would be great to see you there.

theblackknight
08-27-12, 10:03
I shoot a lot down at Ant Hill, near Southport/Bolivia NC. Great range.
They have a very strict "3 visits limit for non-members" policy. However, if we hold it as a "class" I can bring people in as students, but will need to cover a range fee. They hold matches almost every Sunday, and usually setup for matches on Saturday, so weekends aren't great there except the first weekend of the month.

I could get behind a 3 to 4 hour training session where we would focus on one or two skills. If you are interested, pm me or hit this thread up. If there is enough response I will start a new thread and we can get more detail worked out there.

You know Im in.

If anyone is wondering, Ant Hill is a awesome range, hosted several state IPSC matches and is where Magpuls carbine 2 video was filmed.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Psybain
08-27-12, 15:56
sounds good. I'd love to go over some drills. what's the cost of range fees usually?

Failure2Stop
08-27-12, 16:38
sounds good. I'd love to go over some drills. what's the cost of range fees usually?

For students (non-members) the range fee is $10.
Might have to throw a few bucks in for targets/tape/staples/glue/paint/etc.
Will probably have to cap group size around 12 to 15.

Mr.Bickle
08-27-12, 20:22
I'm interested in meeting up with any members near Drakes's landing, as it's not far from my home. I was up there last weeked shooting steel / handgun. Great place, good people. Pick a date and post here or PM. If my schedule is clear, I'm in.

The offer of a training group at ant hill sounds right up my alley as well...it's a bit of a drive though (150mi each way!) but I may still consider attending. If we could get something like what F2S is proposing going at Drakes or range 37, I'd be all over it as they're both nearby.

Psybain
08-27-12, 22:57
Both locations are almost the same distance. One is 115 miles, the other is 117. I'm fine for training at either location, all we need now is dates so I can make sure I set aside money for gas, range fees, rounds, etc.

citizensoldier16
01-23-13, 19:30
I'm in. Failure2Stop, I didn't realize you are so close to me. I'm in Wilmington near Monkey Junction. Been looking for a place to shoot here that will accept rifles. Only lead I have is a friend's farm in Bladen Co. Keep me informed about any get-togethers locally!

theblackknight
01-23-13, 20:12
F2S skipped school and lives in Flow-da now guys.

Lawnchair 04
01-23-13, 21:04
I'm down in Jacksonville but I'd be in for a few range sessions. Won't be back till August/sept though. I'll try to keep up with the thread.