PDA

View Full Version : Good trade or not?

tju1973
01-25-10, 19:44
I need a quick opinion of a trade proposal I got today--

I am looking to trade a WASR 10 (Actually a good one, no cant, and good mag well-only wobbly mag is a crappy Pro Mag, but it still shoots), a Synthetic stock Ruger 10/22-- and about 800 rounds of 7.62x39 and a brick of .22-- I am including 6 mags for the AK and 2 mags for the 10/22 plus normal accessories for both.
A local-ish guy has a CMMG that looks great, and several mags and about 300-400 rounds-- the only downside is that he says the CMMG short strokes, but if he cleans the gas tube, it seems to work ok for a bit..reading what causes short stroking, I think I could fix or have it fixed for not that much cash... Opinions of the trade and if I should do it or not? The WASR shoots great and is pie plate accurate at 100 yards-- I like it, but I admit, I feel better with an AR..I also have a Stag Model 2 on layaway, but it will be about 6 months until I finish paying for it...Below is the picture of the AR how he is offering it (except the ammo and mags are not pictured)..

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/tju1973/AR_2-1.jpg

caelumatra
01-25-10, 20:03
I'm assuming it doesn't come with the Eotech and magnifier?

Failure2Stop
01-25-10, 20:04
The problem with the CMMG could be a few different things, ones that might vary from a few bucks to extended waits and unknown sums of money.

My personal rule is to never buy something that is broken unless I know exactly what is wrong with it and how to fix it, and even then it is probably a mistake.

Linkpimp
01-25-10, 20:08
You sound like you've got about $1.300-1,400 worth in the trade for the posted pic is that correct?

(Maybe) if you really want an AR.. I don’t see anything special about that one.. The front rail is not free-floating, is the barrel chrome lined?, does it have an upgraded trigger assembly in it?, does it have a H buffer or an H1, are those eotech sights real?, who makes the front grip and flashlight combo?

Unless there's money there I'm not seeing, it sounds like IMO he's coming out on top.

tju1973
01-25-10, 20:12
I'm assuming it doesn't come with the Eotech and magnifier?

It comes with the EOtech and magnifier-- basically everything pictured, the ammo and about 8 magazines...

tju1973
01-25-10, 20:14
The problem with the CMMG could be a few different things, ones that might vary from a few bucks to extended waits and unknown sums of money.

My personal rule is to never buy something that is broken unless I know exactly what is wrong with it and how to fix it, and even then it is probably a mistake.

Could the worst case be it needs a new BCG and/or gas tube? He said it needs a new buffer spring, but unless it is worn the heck out, I doubt that is the issue...I shot thousands of rounds through my A2 in the Corps, and other things wore out and broke, but the buffer spring was always GTG...

tju1973
01-25-10, 20:20
You sound like you've got about $1.300-1,400 worth in the trade for the posted pic is that correct?

(Maybe) if you really want an AR.. I don’t see anything special about that one.. The front rail is not free-floating, is the barrel chrome lined?, does it have an upgraded trigger assembly in it?, does it have a H buffer or an H1, are those eotech sights real?, who makes the front grip and flashlight combo?

Unless there's money there I'm not seeing, it sounds like IMO he's coming out on top.
Here is what he listed--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw your combo that you had listed and was interested in a possible trade. I have a CMMG M-4 A3. It has the following upgrades:
-UTG quad rail system
-Mako vertical grip with flashlight holder and trigger switch
-Suregire G2 tactical light
-UTG clamp-on bipod
-Eotech 512 holo sight
-Mako 5x magnifier
-Hogue ergo grip
I also have all the original equipment for the gun including grip, carry handle with rear sight, forgrip, and sling.
I have a tactical case, 8 mags (various makes), and a modgear case for the mags. I will throw in all ammo I have as well. 200 rounds of UMC remington, and roughly 200 rounds of mixed. Some of the mixed will be brown bear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My WASR was $400, the 10/22 was a trade for a Rossi 62 that I paid $125 for..
Ammo is mainly Monarch-- about $200 ....22ammo $15..other stuff about $50-- total should be around $700... not sure what to do...

252actual
01-25-10, 22:08
looking at the picture theres a few things that i would say if it was me personally doing the trade. i have to be honest, i am an AR man to my core but i love the WASR 10 its a stamped metal hunk of motor oiled plywood beast that will run as long as you have ammo for it. if you have one with no sight cant and no magazine wobble its a rare gem indeed. not that its worth allot of money but just that itll always work no matter how little you take care of it. no better end of the world gun out there as far as im concerned...

few things about this CMMG. i always notice people acting like their rifle is worth so much more because of what they have bolted on it. but if what they have bolted on is a turd and in order to make it better i have to scrape all the turds off, then in my opinion it makes it less valuable to me.

im not a fan of cmmg personally. the fit and finish of the parts seems different every time i pick one up and lately the ones ive seen have a satin kind of finish to them. the fact that the weapon is not functioning properly could be a variety of things from user error, to gas blockage, cheap underpowered ammo (he did mention using brown bear), or all kinds of other things. if the guy knew exactly why it was short stroking and it was a simple or inexpensive fix then maybe...

on to the components. that eotech 512 if its genuine and it looks like it is in the picture. most likely the latest rev with the raised battery compartment and plastic cover. those go on ebay for about $400 to $450 ive seen them as low as 350 but not often. i would say that that is probably the most valuable component on that rifle. the mako magnifier believe it or not actually comes with good glass. i compared an aimpoint magnifier to a mako and it was tuff to tell the difference in clarity. i know most guys will say im crazy but maybe it was just a really good mako i was inspecting. either way. i would ditch that mako mount. maybe get a nice larue FTS mount or something. but that magnifier can be had on the internet for $60 to $80. another thing is that its a 5x... not so good with an eotech in my opinion.

next i would take everything with UTG on it and strip it off the gun... any company that makes components for airsoft and then just ports them over for real weapons isnt for me... again thats just me...

also. the magazine pictures appears to be very dark in color so i would assume its not a standard USGI. from the type of other stuff he has on the gun i would assume it was a C-products magazine or i guess it could be an HK steel mag but i doubt he would spend $50 on a magazine when he bought the cheapest components on the market for the rest of his gun. allot of guys like c-products but i personal have had nothing but trouble with them... again this is just my personal experience.

so in the end. you would be trading 2 working rifles, one of which it an exceptionally reliable combat proven weapon for a low cost lesser quality AR that is already showing signs of its demise. but you would be getting a nice optic out of it :)

sorry bout all the rambling haha i was just sitting around thinking of what i would say to a guy who offered me this trade... then again my mom always said i could sell ice to an Eskimo.

i think that he would be getting the better end of the deal. as others have already stated...

ill shut up now...:D

organdonor
01-25-10, 23:15
sell your shit and buy a cmmg bargain bin rifle

tju1973
01-26-10, 13:17
Thanks for the good info-- I think based on this and a gut feeling, I will pass. I am selling the AK and ammo for $800 this week to another guy-- his offer, not mine-- so I get to keep the 10/22 and I will use the cash probably on a DPMS or maye a CMMG Bargain Bin... and just pay my Stag off as I can...

Thanks to all!

:)