PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in with a Matech.....

CJGarza
03-29-07, 00:03
Ok guys, thanks to all the help for my earlier questions on my rifle I have a few more. My rifle has a Young MFG front flip sight http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19614&title=AR-15%2fM16+FRONT+SIGHT+GAS+BLOCK (the same kind Les Baer sells, I can only assume Les Baer bought them out (about 1/2 way down is a pic of the sight) http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223b.html) and my rear sight is a Matech. I know there are ALOT of varying opinions on this sight but I thought I'd try to master it before giving up on it. While sighting it in (25 yards) my front sight post had to be rotated ALL the way down (i.e bottomed out) is this normal? The sight does not come with a post and the original sight post had to be used, it is NOT marked with en "F". The rear sight had to be adjusted 17 cicks from the middle to the left. Is'nt this alot of adjustment? I'm thinking the sight may be canted if so should I be able to tell just by looking at the rifle? One last thing, the handguards don't seal perfictly on the right side. There's a very small opening where they don't touch could this be a sign of the front sight being on "crooked"? Anybody have opinions? Thanks in advance.

Snake RAH
03-29-07, 11:55
The problem with adding flip up sights to the barrel is that it is difficult to get the sight perfectly centered without taking it to the range and firing it.

Basically, you'd zero windage your rear sight (centered), add the front sight, and shoot a group (I prefer 2 3-round groups). If your group is say, 3" left, then you'd move the sight LEFT (for front sights, opposite of the way you want the group to move) just a hair. Tighten, and shoot another group. You have to be patient and have plenty of ammo, since this is a time consuming process. Once you get it to within an 1" of desired point of impact, then tighten each screw with RED loctite (one at a time, so you don't lose your zero), then zero the last bit of windage with your rear sight.

As for the MATECH forcing you to bottom out the front, I have to ask are you married to the MATECH? If not, pick another rear sight to test on your gun, mainly to see if the elevation problem is not with the front sight. If you're local to San Antonio, PM me, and we can meet up at a range sometime, and I can help you out.

As for the handguards, depending on who made them, the plastic could be bent. Some of the RRA midlength and rifle length handguards I've had didn't quite come together. Depending on what type of barrel you have, I may have a spare set that may fit better on your gun.

CJGarza
03-30-07, 20:34
Thanks for the offer Snake (I may just have to take you up on the offer.....). I just happen to live in San Antonio.:D