PDA

View Full Version : ACS/CTR mix and match

Icculus
01-25-10, 22:43
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before; I read 6-7 ACS threads and didn't see any info on it. I haven't had a chance to actually put my hands on an ACS but from looking at the pictures it almost looks like the battery tubes are removable. The slots on the side of a CTR also look like they could be the type of slots you might need to add such a batter tube to the side and have it work with the slope of of the top to produce a similar cheek weld. I think you see where I'm going. Does anyone know if this kind of swap will work or am I way off in left field? Just got to thinking it might be a way to add battery storage to a CTR and improve its cheek weld slightly while ditching the side storage compartment of the ACS(yes I'm sure I could find something to put in there but but not a necessity) and maybe save and ounce or two.

Of course even it does fit, if there is no way to source just the battery tube alone I guess the discussion is simply academic:)

TOMTOM
01-25-10, 23:03
the battery tubes are removable, but i'm not sure if theyll fit the CTR. sounds like something i should play around with during 24!

Icculus
01-25-10, 23:26
Funny, I was watching 24 and surfing during the commercials when I started thinking about it:)

jp0319
01-26-10, 00:49
the slots on the CTR are for a removable Cheek riser, they will not accept the ACS battery tubes.

lanceriley
01-26-10, 03:51
hmmm.. maybe magpul will come up with something that attaches to form a better cheekweld.

dashotgun
01-26-10, 09:05
I was thinking of getting the acs because of the cheek weld feature of the battery tubes is there a problem with them? I checked the cheek weld add ons for the ctr and more are for non ar rifles because of the charging handle interference

ForTehNguyen
01-26-10, 09:48
ACS is only 30 bucks more, its a 1/4 lb heavier too to better balance out a rifle. I find ACS stocks to balance out railed govt profile uppers well.

Icculus
01-26-10, 11:36
hmmm.. maybe magpul will come up with something that attaches to form a better cheekweld.

Sarcasm??? Now I've been accused many times that I can sometimes misinterpret or read too much into things and if that's the case I apologize. However, if I'm not off base and you're being a smart ass; I hope you're not referring to the cheek risers they sell for the CTR/MOE that 1) look ungainly large and destined to snag on something 2) doesn't provide any battery storage and 3) isn't designed to work with an AR15 as it interferes with the charging handle.

ACS is only 30 bucks more, its a 1/4 lb heavier too to better balance out a rifle. I find ACS stocks to balance out railed govt profile uppers well.

It's not the price difference that I was concerned with. Actually, if they fit and if they were available independently, I'm sure that the price of the battery tubes plus a CTR might be the same if not higher than the ACS. Also maybe adding the tubes would bring the weight of the CTR right to where the ACS with no weight benefit, I don't know? I was just wondering if it was a possibility. Another option for users who might want to try a little something different or explore the possibilities of a little weight savings for those people who want a lot of functionality but are still counting every ounce.

ForTehNguyen
01-26-10, 12:04
while weight is something to look at, balance shouldnt be ignored. An unbalanced rifle will make it feel heavier than it really is, a balanced one will feel lighter than it really is.

lanceriley
01-26-10, 18:06
icculus.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was hoping magpul would come up with something that attaches to the cheek riser attachment points that would make em feel like an ACS

Icculus
01-26-10, 21:54
icculus.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was hoping magpul would come up with something that attaches to the cheek riser attachment points that would make em feel like an ACS

My apologies then. As I said, I'm bad for reading too much into things. When I read it it just hit me wrong, my fault.

while weight is something to look at, balance shouldnt be ignored. An unbalanced rifle will make it feel heavier than it really is, a balanced one will feel lighter than it really is.

Agreed, and I think I'm looking for something slightly heavier than the MOE thats on my DDM4 as it feels front heavy. Only thing out front is the SF G2 in a Vltor QD mount and the DD foregrip (soon to be replaced by an AFG). One thing that really got me thinking about it is a post in the pic thread of a DDM4 with a similar setup out front and an ACS out back and the poster said it was something like 9.6lbs. Granted my T1 in a ADM mount probably weighs less than the TR24 in a Larue SPR mount (I think) he had but still. While my rifle won't ever be a featherweight, it made me more conscious of unneeded ounces. Plus I just think with the shape/bottom slope of the CTR it's a slightly better looking stock than the ACS (low on the importance scale I know). If I could increase the functionality of the ctr with the battery storage, better balance my rifle (more weight than the moe) and still manage to save an oz. or two I just think it would be perfect

lanceriley
01-26-10, 22:02
no problem my friend ;)