PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense 16in M4 barrel from Brownells? Any good?

jwfuhrman
01-26-10, 07:40
Daniel Defense 16in M4 barrel from Brownells(and prolly elsewhere) for $169.99

Are they good barrels? Says its 1/7, M4 profile.

I have a extra upper that I want to complete, maybe use it as just a KISS upper.

Im talkin, get the barrel, a rail, and some folding sights and be done with this upper. I can throw it on what ever lower and be good to go with it.

danish
01-26-10, 08:22
They better be 'cause the one I ordered from Midway should be here today. All the reviews from Midway were positive and if it's like any other DD product, there should be no question of the quality.

CoryCop25
01-26-10, 08:24
Great barrel, great price. The reason these barrels are all over the place is because they are the last batch of barrels that DD made that are NOT Cold Hammer Forged. From this point on, DD only offers CHF barrels. I have used these barrels for a few builds and they shoot great. I also own a few CHF barrels from DD in a word.... AWESOME! Sorry I sound like a DD commercial but I love em.

jwfuhrman
01-26-10, 09:07
another question. Im debating on setting this up as a hunting upper, for coyotes and the like. Im thinkin I may want to use the 45gr High Velocity JHP Varmit round from Winchester. Ive heard 1/7 twists are not good for anything under a 50gr as it puts to much spin on the bullet.

CoryCop25
01-26-10, 10:09
You are going to have to try it out, twist rates vary from manuacturer to manufacturer. It's kinda hard to pick a bulet type before you pick the weapon. A varment bullet may be long enough to stablize. Good luck.

5pins
01-26-10, 12:08
another question. Im debating on setting this up as a hunting upper, for coyotes and the like. Im thinkin I may want to use the 45gr High Velocity JHP Varmit round from Winchester. Ive heard 1/7 twists are not good for anything under a 50gr as it puts to much spin on the bullet.

I used the Winchester 45gr in a Colt 20in with a 1/7 and it was surprisingly accurate. However the velocity was quite a bit lower then what was advertised. I was only getting around 3200fps. This was back in 2001 so I don’t know about current production.

whiterabbit05
01-26-10, 12:17
Great barrel, great price. The reason these barrels are all over the place is because they are the last batch of barrels that DD made that are NOT Cold Hammer Forged. From this point on, DD only offers CHF barrels. I have used these barrels for a few builds and they shoot great. I also own a few CHF barrels from DD in a word.... AWESOME! Sorry I sound like a DD commercial but I love em.

Do you know when they started using CHF barrels?

chg380
01-26-10, 13:03
I have one as well. Mine came from Bravo Co, Hard to beat for the money.

CoryCop25
01-27-10, 11:17
Do you know when they started using CHF barrels?

Spring/Summer 2009 IICR

mrbieler
01-27-10, 11:57
To the best of my knowledge, the XV carbines always shipped with the CHF barrel. The M4 series started shipping with CHF barrels in late summer 2009.

Tangotag
01-27-10, 19:25
I have one as well. Mine came from Bravo Co, Hard to beat for the money.
+1 Got mine from Bravo too.
I pinned FSB with taper pins and it's a great shooter.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4113.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4248.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4252.jpg

2theright
07-22-10, 17:27
I had been intending to order a BCM barrel, but your comments and the price tag convinced me to order the DD barrel.
CoryCop25, I see we're neighbors. I'm in Lehigh Township.
Don

EW1066
07-23-10, 00:01
I went to the gun store where I had bought all of my parts and asked them about the DD barrel. I was told by the owner to buy the DD barrel. He told me that he could not sell me a barrel that was that good for less than $269.
He could have told me they were junk and sold me a more expensive barrel an had cash in the drawer. He knew I was on a tight budget for my build and he was straight forward and honest. They got a life long customer that day...

So buy the DD. I love mine and I think it shoots great!

Vince

Surf
07-23-10, 02:17
Phenomenal barrel, great price, I have done numerous builds off of these particular barrels. 2 MOA is pretty common and I see no appreciable difference in accuracy between the CHF and non-CHF barrels. Most average shooters will not out shoot the non-CHF barrel life.

I do a complete build series off a Noveske lower, and a Troy TRX Extreme Battlerail and this DD barrel which can be seen here
Custom Noveske M4 build w/DD Non-CHF barrel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf#p/c/0915D057E1B32683)

I then do a 3 part series shooting the completed weapon if you just want to see this barrel perform.
Custom Noveske M4 w/DD Non-CHF barrel test fire sessions (http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf#p/c/CC71DE90CB274D75)

2theright
07-23-10, 17:27
Surf,
Thanks a bunch for taking your time to make some really great videos!
Don