PDA

View Full Version : New CQB question

Condition Yellow
01-26-10, 20:27
Just yesterday I purchased a new Black/Grey Wilson CQB. Compared to my Springfield Loaded, well, there is no fair comparison. Fit and finish are everything I've heard.

I put exactly 100 rounds through it today. One round during a string of fire in the third magazine, and two in a row in the last magazine chambered and cocked the hammer, but the trigger did not reset. I've sent an e-mail of to Wilson, but wondered if anyone here has a thought on what's occuring.

Dos Cylindros
01-26-10, 21:26
Not sure what the problem might be. I recently bought a CQB compact which even after more than 500 rounds would not reliably feed factory hardball. Wilson took the gun back and I got my money back. Several other problems like this on various 1911 boards recently has me wondering if Wilson is having a QC problem right now. I am not a Wilson basher, and think they make a first rate 1911, just my experience was not so great. But their customer service is second to none so they will take care of you no matter what.

My only thought about your problem might be that the disconnecter is having some issue.

ConditionYellow
01-29-10, 23:36
I thought this would generage more discussion. The pistol shipped off today.

Paul45
01-30-10, 09:47
I have 2 CQB's (1 is the lite weight). When i first got the reg CQB, I had a few issues with reset. I striped the gun, removed the grips and cleaned it with GUN SCRUB and re-lubed it. Never had another issue in over 5000 rounds. Did the same to the Lt Wt before I shot it - never had an issue in over 2500 rounds.

JohnN
01-30-10, 10:00
I recently bought a CQB compact which even after more than 500 rounds would not reliably feed factory hardball. Wilson took the gun back and I got my money back.

Didn't Wilson offer to fix it?

The two 5" guns I had worked flawlessly for many thousands of rounds however that was 5-7 years ago.

VA_Dinger
01-30-10, 10:03
In my experience Wilson Combat has a world class reputation for customer service and warranty work. If you got one of the few guns to make it out of their factory with a problem I'd bet they make it right real quick.

Dos Cylindros
01-30-10, 10:04
Didn't Wilson offer to fix it?

The two 5" guns I had worked flawlessly for many thousands of rounds however that was 5-7 years ago.

Yes the did offer to fix it and were very helpful during the process. I bought the gun to be my off duty weapon and after the experience I had with it I would never trust it again, even if Wilson had fixed it (there were a few other issues with it besides the feeding). I got my money back and bought a 5" 1911 which is now off with Steve Morrison of MARS Armament getting the treatment.

chococat
01-30-10, 10:30
It's difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing the gun. This could be simply a break-in problem or something really is binding in the gun. That being said, your course of action was the correct one. Wilson built the gun, they should be given first opportunity to make it right. And since they have a lot of expertise in the 1911, they would be the most knowledgeable people to contact. You will be pleased with their customer service.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Al

ConditionYellow
01-30-10, 19:14
Wilson has been nothing but helpful and accommodating. Although I am understandably disappointed, I'm confident they will make it work.

ccoker
01-30-10, 20:25
I saw where you have posted on the 1911 forum and in discussions with the WC rep there, confident it will get sorted out ASAP

WC has a rep for taking care of their customers

Condition Yellow
02-12-10, 18:38
I should finish my story. I sent the gun in to Wilson. I received a call from Nick the day it arrived at Wilson, the day it shipped from them, and the day it arrived back to me. I have never experienced this level of customer service.

All Nick could tell me on the phone was, "The repair comment for your pistol in the computer just indicates 'trigger adjusted'." Did I fall into the 80% of malfunctions that can not be replicated back at Wilson? Oh, they threw in a new 47D.

After a bit of personal trouble-shooting, I believe the issue may have been mine all along. I have not had a chance to shoot the CQB to determine if it was "fixed" yet, but through several holster presentations and dry firings, I've discovered my grip is possibly the culprit.

I shoot with my thumb riding on the top of the safety, which has never been a problem with my SA Loaded. However, the bump on the CQB's grip safety is smaller than that on my Loaded, and when keeping my thumb on the top of the safety as I dry fire the Wilson, occasionally the trigger will not drop due to the grip safety not being fully depressed. When I bring my thumb down below the thumb safety to rest, the grip safety depresses just enough more to eliminate the intermittent issue, at least when dry firing.

Anyone else have this experience? I either need to practice a different initial grip, or bring my thumb down below the safety for good. I wonder if thinner grips would give me more purchase of the grip safety.

As an addendum, my wife told me to buy this pistol 2 1/2 weeks ago for our 20th anniversary. It had been sitting in the display case for a year and a half @ $2300. I walked out with it for ... $1500.

eng208
02-12-10, 19:07
That could be it. Or it could have had the overtravel screw on the trigger set just a little too tight. The screw in the trigger stops the trigger from going past the point that the hammer is allowed to drop (overtravel). Sometimes, if your finger sits either high or low on the trigger and it is adjusted right at the release point, it will not consistently drop the hammer due to ever so slight change in orientation of the trigger in it's movement. Most of the time it only takes backing off the overtravel screw about a 1/4 turn.

Shawn.L
02-12-10, 19:12
If you take out the 3 leaf spring under the mainspring housing the one on the far right )looking from the back of the pistol) is the one that gives resistance to the grip safety. Lighten it up a bit.

IIRC the speed bump on my grip safety on the wilson was just the same as the TRP I used to have size wise. I had a similar issue with the TRP, as the tension on that spring was just cranked way up. A little tweaking and it was just fine.

LHS
02-12-10, 19:14
I've had a CQB for almost 10 years, one of the old green-and-black models. It runs like a scalded-ass ape with everything I've fed it, including ammo that Wilson recommended against (200-gr Cor-Bon +p), with or without a Shok-Buff, at any angle, one-handed, two-handed, left-handed, etc. It ran everything without a hiccup. I can't remember the last malfunction I've had in that gun in thousands of rounds that wasn't due to a worn-out magazine.

That said, even the best smiths occasionally produce something that has issues. Wilson's great about taking ownership of the problem and making it right in a hurry.

Condition Yellow
02-13-10, 01:38
Someone suggested I grip the pistol in my shooting hand (right) with my thumb pointing straight up and see if my hand will disengage the grip safety. About 50% of the time it won't.

Shawn's suggestion of adjusting the leaf for the grip spring might help.

... several hours later ...

... tweaking with the sear spring was the ticket, Shawn. Thank you. Many dry-firings and 170 flawless rounds later, it runs like LHS has suggested. I used 47D's, Power Mags and some 6 year-old Mecgars. I shot it tilted 90 deg left then right, limp wrist, thumb high, thumb low, pulled the trigger as fast as I could, slow fire, ect. All the superlatives for a high end 1911 apply. My SA Loaded runs well, but, well, I don't know if I'll keep it now.