PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the GG&G MAD BUIS?

Knife_Sniper
01-26-10, 21:35
Looking for opinions on the GG&G MAD Buis with the ranging aperature.

Seems like one of the lower cost options on the market for a back up iron sight that can adjust for range. The GG&G website specifically says:

"The unique rotating multiple aperture disc has 5 apertures preset to specified distances. In particular, 0=25 and 200yds 3=300yds 4=400yds 5=500yds 6=600yds. A small window facing the shooter, as can be seen in the above photograph, provides a numerical cue as to the range. All apertures are the same diameter--.070" diameter. The apertures have been preset using the ballistic calculations for 55 grain through 62 grain ammunition used in the AR15/M16 16" carbine length weapon."

http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/MAD%20BUIS/RangingMAD.jpg

I like how they mention it is specifically designed for 55-62 grain ammo fired from a 16 inch rifle. Very specific and good info.

Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks!

Dos Cylindros
01-27-10, 09:47
I don't know about lower cost, aren't they like $140.00 from GG&G. I have two, one on my issue carbine and one on my personal carbine. I like the sight alot, and like that it is a same plane design so no impact shift when switching which sight you are using. Mine do not have the ranging feature though as I think that is a new design.

chadbag
01-27-10, 10:25
I don't know about lower cost, aren't they like $140.00 from GG&G.

That is the defining statement. :D

They are available much cheaper at other places.

decodeddiesel
01-27-10, 12:41
I guess I just don't see the point to this BUIS. To me a back up iron sight is just that, a back up iron sight. Get a Troy, Magpul, or KAC BUIS and be done with it.

If I want something that allows me to quickly and efficiently engage targets from 25m-600m I'm going to get an ACOG and be done with it. You'll be faster on target and get hits easier than with any iron sight. If you're just bent want dedicated iron sights with the ability to dial in different ranges than I don't see why one doesn't just go with a carrying handle with A2 sights for half the price of this sight.

Dos Cylindros
01-27-10, 12:41
That is the defining statement. :D

They are available much cheaper at other places.

No doubt, I got mine for $70.00.

chadbag
01-27-10, 12:44
I guess I just don't see the point to this BUIS. To me a back up iron sight is just that, a back up iron sight. Get a Troy, Magpul, or KAC BUIS and be done with it.

If I want something that allows me to quickly and efficiently engage targets from 25m-600m I'm going to get an ACOG and be done with it. You'll be faster on target and get hits easier than with any iron sight. If you're just bent want dedicated iron sights with the ability to dial in different ranges than I don't see why one doesn't just go with a carrying handle with A2 sights for half the price of this sight.

The original MAD is just that, a BUIS. A variant has the ranging aperture. They are 2 different models of MAD.

MAD lies really flat. Same plane aperture (not unique I know)

Cagemonkey
01-27-10, 18:33
I got two of them. My only complaint is I wish the 0/200 aperture was larger for low light/fast target acquisition.

chadbag
01-27-10, 18:34
I got two of them. My only complaint is I wish the 0/200 aperture was larger for low light/fast target acquisition.

Me too (he is speaking of the ranging one)

I plan on drilling one out

Cagemonkey
01-27-10, 20:35
Me too (he is speaking of the ranging one)

I plan on drilling one out
I was thinking the same thing, my only concern is keeping the hole centered.

The_Hammer_Man
01-31-10, 05:48
I was thinking the same thing, my only concern is keeping the hole centered.

Don't use a dremel/drill. Use a reamer and go up in size incrementally instead of "hogging" it out in one pass. Easier to hold center that way.

Remember... after the material is gone it's REAL tough to put it back :)