PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming class, questions

Serpico1985
01-26-10, 23:46
Quick run down reference my experience/history:

I own a M14 pattern rifle and have shoot it some not a lot. I wanted a AR and have never owned one previously. I recently got in on the Noveske free lower deal and got a Low profile recce upper and stripped lower. This is my first AR. I did a lot of reading up on what to buy and why and settled on the theory "buy the most rifle you can afford because the amount you'll spend on ammo throughout the life of the rifle will negate the difference in a $800 rifle and a $1500 rifle" and "parts ain't parts".

So I got a DD LPK (would have gone with G&R in retrospect) installed it myself and took it to the range to test fire. Rifle passed all safety/function checks. I fired a bunch of mags (pmags) with just a few rounds in them in case it doubled or tripled etc. you get the point. Rifle works. Check.

Next, what to spend my money on. I refereed back to the internet and decided a couple thousand rounds of ammo and a reputable class would be a wise investment. Got the ammo, Check. Signed up for Viking Tactics Carbine 1, check. By the way VTAC basic carbine 1 covers: fundamentals of marksmenship, external ballistics, weapons retention, loading/unloading, sling use, malfunction definition/clearance, multiple target acquisition, basic position shooting, cleaning.

So this is my question. The class is two days, 1200 rounds. I would like to try and get the most bang for my buck. I was thinking of trying different products on the different days to see what works best. For instance, I was thinking about using the MOE grip I have one day and a Stark SE-1 the next. Also a vickers 2 point one day and a VTAC the next. You get the idea?

Is this a good idea or a waste of time. Because its my first class should I just run what I have and shut up or is trying out a few different products a good idea?

I ask this site because yall are the most civil and the best info gets put out here rather that TOS (lighfighter is good too, they don't suffer fools as far as I can tell). I don't have unlimited funds to go to 4 or 5 classes a year. I can probably swing one a year and want to get the most out it I can.

I welcome any recommendations, criticisms, concerns, etc.

shittercrewchief
01-26-10, 23:59
Pick one grip and sling you like and run them and learn them.
Get the fundamentals down first then worry about all that gear stuff. just my opinion.

ruf
01-27-10, 03:23
Agreed. Don't mess with your gear unless it's messing with you. There will be plenty of fundamentals and shooting/fighting techniques to absorb without dwelling on preferences like grips. Gear experimentation is nice, but there are more important things to focus on in the limited time you have with a resource like the VTAC crew. Unless it's a showstopper, dick around with your gear later, set the radio on receive and enjoy!

You're going to have an awesome time. The instructors are very observant, and they'll point out if your gear is an issue. Usually, the problem ends up being with the software, so the last thing you want to do is slow down your own learning, or even worse, become that guy that slows down the rest of the class. You'll be able to make better gear decisions after the class. Try out different gear in your own practice time, make your changes, and come back to class for more learning. Training (learning) and practice (repetition and optimization) are related but different activities and should be treated as such.

That being said, your gear shouldn't fight you. It sounds like you've chosen a reliable carbine, so just make sure to keep it wet. As for slings, I personally prefer the padded VTAC. Knowing the Viking Tactics curriculum, you'll be expected to learn to engage from the opposite shoulder proficiently, and the extra adjustability helps out.

I noticed that you didn't mention an optic? Were you planning on using irons?

Serpico1985
01-27-10, 08:32
Yes I have a aimpoint for the rifle. I had it on my M1A so all I had to buy was a Larue mount for the AR. I'll take it in my range bag but I get the impression that the class will focus on irons. I to would like to focus on irons to get the fundamentals down then next time I go to class I can throw the aimpoint on.

Anyway thanks for the info. I'll try to do an AAR for the course since there aren't any for this particular VTAC class.

Treehopr
03-06-10, 10:22
Some thoughts:

Run the optics rather than the irons, once you start doing anything other than shooting from prone the irons will be a lot more work. I haven't taken VTAC Carbine I but I did attend Street Fighter, optics will make it much easier.

You can spend more time learning rather than trying to line up your irons shooting around a barricade from the support side while in brokeback prone...

Pick the gear you like and take the class, don't change anything unless it becomes an obstacle to learning. If the sling works, leave it on. If you find yourself constantly fighting the sling (or any equipment item) then dump it and try another one...