PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which lower to buy (sharps vs aero precision vs Spikes Tactical)

mchaley
01-27-10, 08:28
I'm caught between three lowers. There's a shARps lower for $55+$20 shipping and there's an Aero Precision lower for $80+$15 shipping.

I want to buy a budget lower. By budget I mean as cheap as possible without suffering from an inferior product.
$75 for a shARps lower (http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-lowers-556rguns-stripped.shtml#SHARPS)
http://www.rguns.net/Graphics/Rifles/semi/AR/Lowers/SharpsARLower.jpg

or

$95 for an Aero Precision (https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=329&zenid=d58bab5d03738fbf6b7d9af7b4e92e76).
https://surplusammo.com/images/API%20Strpd%20Lwr.JPG

OR

Spikes Tactical lower for $100.50 (including shipping) from (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=56222/pid=31719/sku/Stripped_AR_15_Lower_Receiver) *thanks Legion Prime
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100004685_1.jpg

What would you buy and why? I'd like to keep it under about $100.

or, if you know of a better deal, let me know.

Thanks!

larry0071
01-27-10, 10:17
Available for $55 here:
http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-lowers-556rguns-stripped.shtml

From searching RGUNS in google I found some information leading a person to think that RGUNS may not be entirely reliable. Spend your money at your discretion, but realize this... Someone on here a couple days back said they were finding Charles Daly Defense stripped lowers for $115. I think there are many reputable lowers out there for around $100-$130 from dependable dealers.

chadbag
01-27-10, 10:19
Aero Precision are good lowers

This place has them for about $80

I do not know what they charge for shipping though.

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33&zenid=d58bab5d03738fbf6b7d9af7b4e92e76

You may also want to ask Grant (G&R Tactical) what his best deal receiver is. Then you know who you are dealing with.

I would not touch rguns with a 10000' pole. I tried to do business with them once, a long time ago, and had to finally initiate a credit card charge back.

larry0071
01-27-10, 10:26
I tried to be nice in my description of what I found with google. What I found indicates that you should run fast and far from RGUNS. If I am wrong, I can not really say I'm sorry... because the amount of pissed off customers out there tells me that RGUNS does not care much what the general population thinks of them anyways. No thanks, I'll spend a bit more and buy from someone I can form a relationship with.

z3406
01-27-10, 10:30
Since your question is about the Sharps lowers I can tell you I've built 3 rifles using them and the are GTG, the color match is about the same as a DPMS or Doublestar. My personal dealings with Rguns have been positive they have been very prompt with their shipping.

woodandsteel
01-27-10, 11:40
Aero Precision are good lowers

This place has them for about $80

I do not know what they charge for shipping though.

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33&zenid=d58bab5d03738fbf6b7d9af7b4e92e76

You may also want to ask Grant (G&R Tactical) what his best deal receiver is. Then you know who you are dealing with.

I would not touch rguns with a 10000' pole. I tried to do business with them once, a long time ago, and had to finally initiate a credit card charge back.

You are really tempting me with that link.:mad: j/k (not really mad) Thanks for posting it. I was looking to get a few more lowers.

As soon as I tally up my tax return, I am going to look at either getting the three pack or the five pack. I already have the wife's permission.:)

I'll let you know what the shipping is going to cost. I know I'll probably pay about $20 per lower on the transfer fees.

markman
01-27-10, 15:42
I just bought 2 Aero's a little while ago. They are $75 ea. when you buy 2. I haven't assembled them yet.

mchaley
01-27-10, 18:21
Hmm, the sharps lower is $75 total for one whereas the aero precision is $95 total ($15 shipping). RGuns policies and lack of customer service aside, which lower would you buy? If I buy the sharps, I'd save enough to buy most of a B.A.D. Money is tight for me but I don't want to buy a POS.

Walker Precision
01-27-10, 18:48
I had a few come through the shop a while back. The engraving was so bad on them that it was barely legible.

sadmin
01-27-10, 18:57
Hmm, the sharps lower is $75 total for one whereas the aero precision is $95 total ($15 shipping). RGuns policies and lack of customer service aside, which lower would you buy? If I buy the sharps, I'd save enough to buy most of a B.A.D. Money is tight for me but I don't want to buy a POS.

aero, no question. stay away from rguns.

mchaley
01-27-10, 21:57
Updated the original thread. I was told that the sharps lowers are on close out because they're a bit out of mil-spec:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/148326000/148326964/pix260490890.jpg

The mag release button is slightly crooked .

tirod
01-28-10, 09:34
If Sharps doesn't make the cut and another could be considered, AGP makes a nice one.

They have been building a good rep, have some interesting features including a trigger adjustment screw and nice CNC rollmarking. Completely machined, no platter edges, chamfered mag well, and nice black anodizing to spec. They make aftermarket turbo parts for Japanese cars, they understand close tolerances and accuracy. Great customer service attitude - not the gunshop types who clutter the industry, but car guys who know every sale sets the standard.

Worth a look.

Lucky Strike
01-28-10, 10:09
My vote's for aero precision...i bought two from surplusammo (which lowers the price to $75 each) and the machining is very high quality. No issues with pmags or GI mags dropping free.

surplusammo ships pretty quickly too

dtibbals
01-28-10, 15:52
I bought a couple of the Spikes tactical lowers in Nov and they are really NICE!!! The finish is just outstanding and is 100% GTG. I built one and have one left, I think I am going to buy 3 or 4 more just to have them laying around for future projects.

BigBuckeye
01-28-10, 16:26
Available for $55 here:
http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-lowers-556rguns-stripped.shtml

From searching RGUNS in google I found some information leading a person to think that RGUNS may not be entirely reliable. Spend your money at your discretion, but realize this... Someone on here a couple days back said they were finding Charles Daly Defense stripped lowers for $115. I think there are many reputable lowers out there for around $100-$130 from dependable dealers.

I started my build with an RGUNS lower......what a complete and utter piece of crap. First, the lower would not except a pro-mag magazine, the well was clearly out of spec. Next, the bolt would not lock back because there was so much play in the bolt catch. Just to be sure, I swaped my Stag bolt catch that I know is fine into the lower.....still wouldn't lock back...

Thats how I ended up with the Spikes...which I love..

11Bravo
01-28-10, 18:30
snip...What I found indicates that you should run fast and far from RGUNS...snip
I think I might be interested in some of their calendars. :D

mchaley
01-28-10, 19:08
Good to know.

One thing is clear, RGuns sharps lower is garbage. Now, should I spend $95 for unpainted or $100 for painted :D

organdonor
01-28-10, 19:28
+ spikes. great company. happy with the fit and finish of my lower.

mchaley
01-28-10, 20:51
I'm pretty set on the Spikes tactical. Same as aero but the sweet paint job is worth the $5 extra.

One more question though, if I may. How common is wobble between upper and lower? I've been thinking about getting a Sun Devil ($140-150 usd) because they put tension screws in to eliminate wobble.

http://www.colemantyler.com/prodimagesl/large2_sdlrx.jpg

I'd assume that if I got a quality upper and lower there would be no wobble? If wobble is uncommon then I'll go with Spikes Tactical.

organdonor
01-28-10, 20:59
I'm pretty set on the Spikes tactical. Same as aero but the sweet paint job is worth the $5 extra.

One more question though, if I may. How common is wobble between upper and lower? I've been thinking about getting a Sun Devil ($140-150 usd) because they put tension screws in to eliminate wobble.

http://www.colemantyler.com/prodimagesl/large2_sdlrx.jpg

I'd assume that if I got a quality upper and lower there would be no wobble? If wobble is uncommon then I'll go with Spikes Tactical.a little wobble is common. does not affect accuracy.

dtibbals
01-28-10, 22:09
The "wobble" can be common on low shelf receivers. The accuwege is less than a couple of dollars and solves the problem. Not an issue to worry about! By the Spikes, you won't regret it!!!

PS I bought some with paint and some with out, got to love having options.

SWATcop556
01-28-10, 23:40
The "wobble" can be common on low shelf receivers. The accuwege is less than a couple of dollars and solves the problem. Not an issue to worry about! By the Spikes, you won't regret it!!!

A quick search on here will show you several threads reguarding the accuwedge. They are crap and should be avoided. They cause more problems than the wobble ever will.

z3406
01-28-10, 23:56
just to set the record straight.Rguns sells Rguns lowers and Sharps Lowers. I have no experience with the Rgun Lowers. I do have experience with the Sharps lowers. The only thing I can see that is not perfect on them is the mag catch button . Once assembled the Mag catch button is a non issue, Its not visible looking at an assembled lower. All 3 of the Sharps lowers I have built up have been functioning perfectly. One is mated to a CMMG uper One is mated to a Delton upper and the third is mated to an M&A parts upper. I am aware of about 10 other Sharps lowers purchased locally and NOONE is having any problems with them. So please tell me what makes them garbage as opposed to an excellent value??

SWATcop556
01-29-10, 00:29
For me a lower is a lower is a lower. As long as they are machined correctly to spec then pick what ever roll mark you want and have at it.

Even if something is not visible it should still be machined to spec. If it's not then it has the potential to cause problems, and therefore IMO makes it shit.

mchaley
01-29-10, 03:06

For me a lower is a lower is a lower. As long as they are machined correctly to spec then pick what ever roll mark you want and have at it.

Even if something is not visible it should still be machined to spec. If it's not then it has the potential to cause problems, and therefore IMO makes it shit.

In this day and age there should be no errors. Everything should be the same spec. Any inconsistency could lead to a problem, imo.

slustan
01-29-10, 12:04
In this day and age there should be no errors. Everything should be the same spec. Any inconsistency could lead to a problem, imo.

What problem might that be? and what is this opinion based on?

mchaley
01-29-10, 18:55
What problem might that be? and what is this opinion based on?

Someone said the mag release is out of spec.

slustan
01-29-10, 19:08
My mistake, I thought you were speaking generally about AR lowers, not specifically the mag release. I'd stay away from those as well. I've had excellent luck with aero precision lowers myself.

mchaley
01-29-10, 19:24
My mistake, I thought you were speaking generally about AR lowers, not specifically the mag release. I'd stay away from those as well. I've had excellent luck with aero precision lowers myself.

It's good to know that both Aero and Spike are good quality.

Are the prices a good deal or are they just average prices ($95/$100 with shipping included)?

slustan
01-29-10, 19:31
That's right around what I paid last time I purchased them.

Merle
04-11-10, 22:04
I know that this post is a little old but just wanted to throw in my $.02. I have used Aero Precision lowers on 3 builds and they work good, except it is hit or miss about the mag wells dropping a P-Mag. Metal mags drop free just fine though. Everything else lines up good and they fit nice and snug with the Aero Precision uppers. I live close to Surplus Ammo and that is the best deal I can find around here on quality, stripped lowers. Mega gets my vote too in the quality department.

rman43
04-12-10, 10:02
Buy the Spikes - I have an RRA, a DPMS and a Spikes lower. The Spikes is the nicest of the 3.

Kiznelly
04-12-10, 15:18
I have ordered a few of the Aero Precision lowers as well as a stripped upper.

I would suggest getting the Aero Precision with the Spikes next in line. Last I heard from Spikes was that Aero Precision cuts their $89 lowers. I do like the punisher skull and calico jack logos.