PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket stock mesa tactical vs knoxx

dashotgun
01-27-10, 12:17
knoxx cheaper at 109 vs 269 mesa seems better made
this is for a mossberg 590 hd gun presently has the speedfeed non pistol grip stock on it. I fondled the mesa at a recent gun show on a 590 I was impressed on how light it made the gun feel.. The recoil shooting full on 00 buck is unpleasent and I would like the recoil reduction of the knoxx or the mesa:(

TommyG
01-27-10, 14:47
I have the Mesa Tactical set up on an 870 that is used for home defense and hunting. I have a fired a ton of 3 1/2 inch turkey loads through my hunting barrel with the Mesa set up and find it very comfortable. I do have to deal with "Rambo" comments from my "traditional" hunting buddies every time we hunt turkeys though.

I have not had the chance to try the Knoxx system.

JLSKIP
01-27-10, 15:02
I have the Knoxx recoil reduction version for my Mossberg 590A1. It works well, however the integration of the pistol grip to the trigger guard definitely leaves something to be desired. There is a gap between the rear of the trigger guard and the metal block that attaches to the rear of the shotgun. That metal block has sharp corners and i scratch/poke myself when I try to actuate the forend release button. I have since removed it and replaced it with the factory stock until I fin the time to modify it. There is something to be said for how much more natural and easily the controls can be manipulated with the factory stock.

LongRider
01-30-10, 17:01
I have the KNOXX Spec Ops stock on my Mossy 590A1. Fit and finish is excellent mating perfectly to my gun. Function has exceeded my expectations. Recoil and more importantly muzzle rise have been reduced significantly. Allowing me to have much faster accurate follow up shots

rsilvers
02-07-10, 21:25
The Knoxx seems cheesy to me. I checked it out and decided it is not for me.

You can get the MESA for $60 without the stock and then just use a spare AR stock, tube, and pistol grip.

Speedfeed is ok. You can get the kind which does not hold extra rounds.

trappernana
02-07-10, 22:15
I have the Mesa and have nothing but praise for it! I would suggest it.I like that I can I can fit it with any AR-15 stock. I also like their magazine clamp w/ the swivel and picatinny rail combo. Anyway It's a personal choice and unless you can put both of them in you hands at the same time ,mounted in you gun, it's pretty much trusting your gut, your wallet, or us..... what a choice! Good luck! And don't let any of these guys tell you they don't have a box full of 500.00 to750.00 of mistakes. Even the small stuff adds up quick.Take care of yourself and all those loved ones around you!!!:)

LongRider
02-08-10, 04:06
The Knoxx seems cheesy to me. I checked it out and decided it is not for me.

Checked it out how? Cheesy how? Did you actually use it? Curious because I have yet to hear from some one who has actually used a KNOXX Spec Ops stock that did not say it was a well made product that worked exactly as advertised

St.Michael
02-27-10, 16:49
I have a knoxx on my moss500 and it is amazing. I had an 870 for 3 days I had gotten for my gf. I had never shot a shotgun and didn't realize it would be too much for her. So this year I got the moss WITH the stock installed by my buddy and it is perfect. There is NO recoil. I mean I personally think it recoils less then or as much as my AR. I love it. I am not even sure I would own a shotgun without it.

TOrrock
02-27-10, 19:27
I'd go with a Hogue or Speedfeed "youth" or "bodyarmor" stock.

Using Rob Haught's push/pull technique negates the need for "recoil reduction stocks". In his two day class I put about 500 rounds down range without even a hint of a bruise on my shoulder. It really works.

Icedaddy56
02-27-10, 21:32
I have the Knoxx on my Mossberg 500. It greatly reduced the recoil for follow ups. Would not trade it, but then again I have not tried the Mesa:D

LongRider
02-28-10, 03:37
I'd go with a Hogue or Speedfeed "youth" or "bodyarmor" stock.

Using Rob Haught's push/pull technique negates the need for "recoil reduction stocks". In his two day class I put about 500 rounds down range without even a hint of a bruise on my shoulder. It really works.

You are correct that properly mounting your shotgun will greatly reduce the affects of recoil, Where the KNOXX stock really shines is the elimination of muzzle rise, along with the recoil reduction. Greatly increasing the speed and accuracy of your follow up shots. Resulting in being able to drop eight targets out to 25 yards as fast as I can run the pump.

Even properly mounted shooting 500 rounds of 12 gauge will wear on you bruise or no bruise. You will not experience that with a KNOXX stock, You really have to shoot with one to be able to understand what a dramatic improvement it is over conventional stocks

TOrrock
02-28-10, 07:23
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one LongRider.

YutYut
02-28-10, 17:52
I tried using the Mesa Tactical stock on my 870, and though it did look intimidating, I couldn't get a comfortable cheek weld when firing. It felt like my face was being pinched between the tube and stock.

I don't have any experience with the Knoxx stock. I know run the Speedfeed Pistol Grip with the shortened LOP.

Off topic: I'd really like to learn Rob Haught's Push/Pull technique. Sounds interesting. Fired off a bunch of SG rounds last Thursday and the shoulder is killing me.

LongRider
03-01-10, 00:37
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one LongRider.

I'm good with that, though if you have not tried one I'd like to hear your take after you have.

JEL458
03-02-10, 00:16
In my last couple of assignments, I was responsible for about 300 shotguns, mostly remington 870s, some benellis and a mossberg. While a small sample, I've seen 10 knoxx stocks in the last year. 2 broke after very little use (but their CS was excellent) and another 2 came loose even after appropriate installation. 7 out of the 10 shooters using them wanted them taken off after a couple months of actual use. The 3 that kept it rarely shot it while the others were shooting theirs weekly. Most had complaints similar to YutYuts, a couple even had lacerations from the stock.

I tried one for a month since some of my guys were using them, I wanted to be familiar with them. I didn't care for it at all. It would pinch my cheek right where the front of the stock and the tube met. They were replaced with speedfeed straight and pistolgrip short stocks with no complaints.

I have no experience with the Mesa. Stay safe.

dashotgun
03-02-10, 12:05
thanks I am leaning toward the mesa tactical and the endine buffer using my old m4 stock 60 for the adapter and about 95 for the recoil buffer my stock and I need a grip. probably 170 =190 with shipping

PdxMotoxer
03-04-10, 22:42
I went with the Knoxx (RR) adj stock on my 590 and so far love it.

Remingtonpro has them for $101.99 (i was lucky and got it on sale from them for $91) and was hugely surprised when it came and i seen it was a package.
Stock, long screw, long allen wrench AND Knoxx Tactical Forend.

Looks like now it's running $101.99 for the whole package.
http://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/knoxx_stock_package.jpg

http://www.remingtonpro.com/item/48175_Knoxx_Grips_Pads_Stocks_Knoxx_SpecOps_Adjustable_Shotgun_Stock__K04200-C__.aspx

I hope linking to a non-sponsor isn't taboo here. (if it is sorry and mybad)

anyway you can see a pic of it on my 590 in the shotgun pic thread.

LongRider
04-15-10, 12:15
Most had complaints similar to YutYuts, a couple even had lacerations from the stock.
It appears that YutTuts experience was with a Mesa Tactical stock

I tried using the Mesa Tactical stock on my 870, and though it did look intimidating, I couldn't get a comfortable cheek weld when firing. It felt like my face was being pinched between the tube and stock.

JEL458 Have to say that yours is by far the worst experience with a KNOXX stock I have ever read. My experience is has been nothing like you discussed and honestly hard to imagine. Mine has been 100% in every way. Than I only have the one stock and only shoot a couple rounds every other week or so. With never a problem with the stock in the past year. That is not to discount what you are saying at all just very surprising as it is so contrary to my experience.

calvin118
04-16-10, 17:10
I have a knoxx stock on my 590A1 and it made a huge difference for me in comfort and follow-up speed.