PDA

View Full Version : What is essential to add to an IFAK?

SW-Shooter
01-27-10, 17:57
I have my IFAK, what would I need to add to it as essential equipment? Do I delete anything.

ETA: I replaced the initial issue chest seal.

Thank you!

Submariner
01-27-10, 18:23
Whose issue IFAK? Contents?

SW-Shooter
01-27-10, 18:24
Army issue SF IFAK. I am not SF. ETA: I have copious amounts of pain and antibiotic meds.

Gutshot John
01-27-10, 19:02
Most meds aren't really going to be relevant if you intend on being close to medical support/care. Unless you have some opioids like fetanyl which might be useful but even then I wouldn't self-medicate.

I think a roll of regular gauze gets overlooked quite a bit...not to unroll but to use as a wipe to get rid of excess blood to see the wound. Similarly the whole role can be placed under a pressure dressing to apply a single point of pressure.

Submariner
01-28-10, 08:21
Is it this?

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/improved_ifak_700.jpg

SW-Shooter
01-28-10, 23:50
Is it this?

This exact model, http://specopstech.com/newwebsite/comerce%20cart/osc/images/lit/IFAK-CIFAK.pdf

Iraq Ninja
01-29-10, 10:52
If it comes stocked with what is pictured, I would get the ARS from NAR since the packaging is more durable.

http://www.narescue.com/Products/ProductImages/ZZ-0056_a.jpg

What analgesics are you exactly carrying?

BTW, the US Mil unit at my location do not carry the combat pill packs anymore. I was told that the FDA didn't approve one of the pills for some reason. Anyone know the details?

I would also add a HALO since they are very thin and won't take up too much space. I assume you ditched the asherman and went with the bolin? There is supposed to be a new HALO with a vent, but I haven't seen it. The HALO sticks great to wet hairy guys.

Armati
01-29-10, 20:00
The combat pill pack has changed a few times it seems to have a few 'flavor of the month' drug combinations. I believe most use Celebrex or Mobic, Motrin or Tylenol, and Gatafloxacin.

I have not heard anything about not issuing the pill packs. I wonder if this is a supply issue more than anything.

As for how to modify the IFAK...

Take the tourniquet out and mount it to your kit where you and others and easily reach it. I put it on my left shoulder strap.

Did your IFAK come with a hemostatic dressing? I think the Quick Clot bandage is what they are issuing now. If not, you may want to think about a hemostatic agent.

You might want to add another wad of Kerlix.

Iraq Ninja
01-29-10, 23:11
We recently got a new Army captain as one of our clients. I went thru her IFAK during my questioning of her medical history, etc. It was the one shown above with phone cord thingy. Anyhow, she had the combat gauze as issued. Her tourniquet was also still nicely wrapped in the wrapper, but I quickly fixed that.

I am trying to get in touch with the local 18Ds and find out about the pill packs and get some Hextend (too expensive for my company to buy, so we use NS). They are a new team and hard to tract down, except in the gym :).

Armati
01-30-10, 11:12
Actually, I found the answer in the article mentioned in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45055

It would seem that FDA took Gatafloxacin off the market. So they are using another broad spectrum antibiotic.

I am willing to bet that they pulled all the combat pill packs from the IFAK and replaced it with nothing. This is a typical Army solution to a problem.

A smart medical team would start ordering meds ad hoc using the above article and build new pill packs for the guys in the field (and for themselves!).

Iraq Ninja
02-01-10, 02:16
Aramti,

I guess they replaced it with moxiflexacin which I think is still ok with the FDA, but reserved for specific treatments.
The Brits tend to take a different approach, using Pen G to target just the real nasty bugs.

matt86
02-09-10, 20:52
Theres no drugs in the IFAK now. The NARP 14 g cath looks sweet, but really no need to get it. The ACS is garbage, i like the NARP hyfin chest seal,it adheres pretty well to moisture ie. sweat, blood etc. I was deployed 08-09, and we go HemCon bandages, probably due to the fact Quikclot has chitosan, which is a contra. for pt's with shellfish allergies. probably because its cheaper though. go army.

Submariner
02-10-10, 11:55
The ACS is garbage, i like the NARP hyfin chest seal,it adheres pretty well to moisture ie. sweat, blood etc.

Does the Hyfin have a valve or valves? If not, how does air vent?

matt86
02-10-10, 11:59
No, its just an occlusive dressing.

Danny Boy
02-10-10, 13:23
HemCon bandages, probably due to the fact Quikclot has chitosan, which is a contra. for pt's with shellfish allergies. probably because its cheaper though. go army.

I'd say cheaper. The unlikely event of anaphalaxis seems a very distant secondary concern to bleeding out, so I wouldn't pay it any mind. I've also been told that Celox was tested on volunteers with known shellfish allergies and that they did not report any negative reactions. Whether it's down to the way they refine the ingredients, I have no idea.

I heard that the ACS has recently had the adhesive changed to something similar to the Hyfin. Anyone confirm that?

Submariner
02-10-10, 14:31
I heard that the ACS has recently had the adhesive changed to something similar to the Hyfin. Anyone confirm that?

Mr. Market said the adhesive sucked, so from chinookmed.com's site:

Now with an improved military grade adhesive!

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/12102/-Asherman-Chest-Seal----------------------------

More on ACS. (htthttp://zombiehunters.org/zss/?p=103p://)

Iraq Ninja
02-10-10, 14:33
Danny,

I have heard the same thing, but I wonder if people are confusing the Asherman with the new Bolin?

BTW, here is an interesting report that confirms in the lab what was learned in the sandbox...

Evaluation of chest seal performance in a swine modelComparison of Asherman vs. Bolin seal
Injury, Volume 39, Issue 9, Pages 1082-1088
F. Arnaud, T. Tomori, K. Teranishi, J. Yun, R. McCarron, R. Mahon

Abstract
Introduction

Chest seals are externally applied devices used to treat an open pneumothorax. There is concern that chest seals used for treatment of an open pneumothorax can fail due to coagulation or malfunction of the external vent and poor skin adherence. Chest seal failure may lead to respiratory compromise or the development of a tension pneumothorax. The objective of this project was to compare the efficacy and adhesive capacity of two chest seals: Asherman and Bolin.
Methods

An open pneumothorax model in the swine (30kg) was developed to test the performance of Asherman (n=8) and Bolin (n=8) seals based on haemodynamic and ultrasonographic changes following intrathoracic air and blood infusion. Seal adherence measured on a scale from 0 (poor) to 3 (good) was tested on dry skin and skin soiled with blood.

Results

After standardised perforation of the chest cavity and aperture blocking, an air infusion of 372 (S.D. 214ml) was sufficient to reduce mean arterial pressure (MAP) by 20%. Both chest seals prevented a significant fall in MAP after infusion of 1500ml air into the chest cavity, and had similar adherence scores (2.6 (S.D. 0.8) and 2.8 (S.D. 0.6)) on dry skin. However, on blood soiled skin the Bolin seal had a higher score (2.7 (S.D. 0.6) vs. 0.4 (S.D. 0.7); p<0.01). Ultrasound did not yield interpretable results to differentiate between Asherman and Bolin seals.

Conclusions

The Bolin and Asherman chest seals were equivalent in preventing the development of a tension pneumothorax in this open pneumothorax model. However, the Bolin chest seal demonstrated stronger adherence in blood soiled conditions.

USAFPararescueDoc66
02-14-13, 12:56
We have had to evaluate and test different kit set ups, whilst I was in the military as well as being a civillian doctor working with the DOD on hemostatic agent. In your IFAK you want to address the three primary battlefield killers being: extremety bleeding, tension pneumothorax, and airway.
-Extremety Bleeders: Israeli Bandage 6" , Kyrlex (wound packing if needed) , Quick Clot Granual, Ace Wrap, and combat gauze. I always carried two SOFT-W torniquets , these have been evaluated as the best torniquets on the market (Make sure you write the time the torniquet was applied to the patient)
-Tensionpnuemothorax: carry a DART decompression needle . If this is unavailable we have had to "jimmy rig" a catheter and attach the finger of a latex glove creating a one way flutter valve. Also carry either a HALO Chest Seal or ACS Chest seal for sucking chest wounds.
-Airway NPA (your size is determined by the diameter of your pinky finger.. In most cases ) and surgilube.
-Extras: Trauma Sheers, BenchMade Life Hook, forceps, tape, a few diaper safety pins, casualty card, large sharpie (writing BP's , medication given, etc) I always kept a cheat sheet of 9 line MVAC information as well whilst in country.
This is what I carried in my IFAK and hope this helps.
Stay Safe.

Vic303
02-14-13, 21:54
I'd say cheaper. The unlikely event of anaphalaxis seems a very distant secondary concern to bleeding out, so I wouldn't pay it any mind. I've also been told that Celox was tested on volunteers with known shellfish allergies and that they did not report any negative reactions. Whether it's down to the way they refine the ingredients, I have no idea.

And as a former paramedic once told me...you have to be ALIVE to have an allergic reaction!;)

Todd00000
02-18-13, 09:21
Most meds aren't really going to be relevant if you intend on being close to medical support/care. Unless you have some opioids like fetanyl which might be useful but even then I wouldn't self-medicate.

I think a roll of regular gauze gets overlooked quite a bit...not to unroll but to use as a wipe to get rid of excess blood to see the wound. Similarly the whole role can be placed under a pressure dressing to apply a single point of pressure.

I agree, and there is usually room for an extra TQ. We also took a gallon ziplock bag cut down the sides, sometimes you need a large chest seal and it rolls up real small.