PDA

View Full Version : Question about private handgun sales

uwe1
01-27-10, 18:09
I am a resident of AZ and my bro-in-law is a resident of CA. He owes me some money and I would consider taking possession of his Beretta 92FS with a compensator to settle this debt. My question is what would I have to do if this transaction took place in CA? Would this transfer be more convenient taking place in AZ? Ideally, I would prefer not to use a FFL's services (I was told AZ residents could conduct face to face transactions without a FFL), but since we are residents of different states, a FFL is required by law, correct? Thanks to anyone who knows, I've tried unsuccessfully to find the answer searching for it.

Left Sig
01-27-10, 18:13
Has to go through an FFL in the buyer's state. Otherwise it's a felony.

spamsammich
01-27-10, 18:15
Any time I've sold a firearm across state lines, I've had to ship to a FFL holder and provide a copy of my DL.

Business_Casual
01-27-10, 18:59
COMMENT REMOVED

Irish
01-27-10, 20:03
COMMENT REMOVED

You crack me up :D

uwe1
01-28-10, 08:48
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be a stupid question, but thanks for the reply about "going through the FFL of the buyer". I was also trying to find out who's FFL had to be used (aside from the inquiry about not using a FFL at all, sorry stupid question, I knew the answer, just wondering out loud). I reread the post and it didn't sound too good. The reason I asked is because I was told in the past, by AZ FFLs, that if both parties were AZ residents, face to face transactions could take place without a FFL. My question had to do with residents of different states.

So in this case, if I travelled to CA, while on vacation, to get it, would I still have to ship to a FFL in AZ for the transfer to take place (can't go through a CA FFL)? Alternately, if he was taking the weapon to AZ, then would we just meet up at a FFL to do the transfer? Thanks, I've never done this before.

Safetyhit
01-28-10, 08:58
It wasn't a stupid question, so don't sweat it. But to deliberately want to circumvent a FFL is not very...practical.

Still others here can possibly learn from the dialog, even when this basic. More people read through here than post and many are surely novices looking to learn.

Palmguy
01-28-10, 09:14
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be a stupid question, but thanks for the reply about "going through the FFL of the buyer". I was also trying to find out who's FFL had to be used (aside from the inquiry about not using a FFL at all, sorry stupid question, I knew the answer, just wondering out loud). I reread the post and it didn't sound too good. The reason I asked is because I was told in the past, by AZ FFLs, that if both parties were AZ residents, face to face transactions could take place without a FFL. My question had to do with residents of different states.

So in this case, if I travelled to CA, while on vacation, to get it, would I still have to ship to a FFL in AZ for the transfer to take place (can't go through a CA FFL)? Alternately, if he was taking the weapon to AZ, then would we just meet up at a FFL to do the transfer? Thanks, I've never done this before.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, you'll need to do it at an AZ FFL; which if you ask me would have to be a preferable scenario to doing anything with the state of California, as they have their own regulations and procedures which are more onerous than what you have in Arizona.

uwe1
01-28-10, 09:39
It wasn't a stupid question, so don't sweat it. But to deliberately want to circumvent a FFL is not very...practical.

Still others here can possibly learn from the dialog, even when this basic. More people read through here than post and many are surely novices looking to learn.

My initial post was unclear, but I wasn't trying to deliberately break the law. My in-law is one of those guys that owe you (about 5K) money for over 5 years, claim they don't have it, then when you visit, they have a new 55" flat screen TV in their living room (the list goes on). I was trying to find out the simplest way for me to go to his place and hammer out a resolution. There is no chance of him coming out here. Meaning, me doing most of the leg work, and him doing none. I'll have to see if I can get him to ship the firearm...unless he doesn't "have the money".

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-28-10, 09:46
No FFL needed for the flat screen transfer. :D

Safetyhit
01-28-10, 11:00
My in-law is one of those guys that owe you (about 5K) money for over 5 years, claim they don't have it, then when you visit, they have a new 55" flat screen TV in their living room (the list goes on).

That was good for a laugh. And I know the type, all right.

uwe1
01-28-10, 11:23
No FFL needed for the flat screen transfer. :D

I have been eyeing that TV. He has purchased 4 of various sizes while owing me the said money. He might part with the gun as he has not fired it in 10 years. Asking for TV might cause some words to be exchanged.