PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Kills Burglar With Shotgun

Iraqgunz
01-27-10, 22:27
I always enjoy a heartwarming story like this when some perp makes a mistake and goes to the wrong house. Thankfully in Arizona we have really strong self-defense/ castle laws.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/27/20100127homeownershootsintruder.html

Phoenix police are investigating an incident in which a northeast Phoenix homeowner shot and killed an intruder with a 12-gauge shotgun blast to the belly.

The homeowner phoned 911 at 1:45 p.m. after shooting the intruder at his home in the 4300 block of East Libby Street, northwest of Bell Road and 44th Street, according to the Phoenix Fire Department. The homeowner told police that the intruder had asked for his car keys, money and identification.
The incident is believed to have started at approximately 1:15 p.m. when the suspect was spotted burglarizing a vending machine at a car wash on Tatum Boulevard and Charleston Avenue, said Sgt. Tommy Thompson.

In his attempt to leave the scene, the suspect cracked his axle but continued to drive away, stopping by an elementary school close to the home he invaded.

Foothills Elementary School was put on lockdown for a short time while police searched the area for the burglar.

"As they were searching the area, they heard a pop," said Thompson. The pop was the blast from the homeowner's shotgun.

Firefighters transported the intruder to an area hospital where he died from his injuries.

Irish
01-28-10, 00:09
Another criminal taken off the streets.

DocHolliday01
01-28-10, 00:15
Another criminal taken off the streets.That's about as good as it gets.

SWATcop556
01-28-10, 00:31
Birdshot!!!! :D

Good on the homeowner.

curmudgeon9
01-28-10, 01:37
Musta been #4.

Cohibra45
01-28-10, 07:59
I keep what I have on hand in my 870.............which is trap loads of 7.5 shot. I think that 'at inside my house ranges" (< 20ft) it will not even open up from the plastic wad. Anyway you look at it, it will be a very bad day for anyone trying to do some mischief inside my house!!!;)

Jay Cunningham
01-28-10, 08:08
Phoenix police are investigating an incident in which a northeast Phoenix homeowner shot and killed an intruder with a 12-gauge shotgun blast to the belly.

Gee, I wonder if that stung?

Iraqgunz
01-28-10, 14:42
Out of curiousity...why would you keep a round loaded in the shotgun that is known not to perform in a self defense scenario especially if you contemplate using that weapon?

I keep what I have on hand in my 870.............which is trap loads of 7.5 shot. I think that 'at inside my house ranges" (< 20ft) it will not even open up from the plastic wad. Anyway you look at it, it will be a very bad day for anyone trying to do some mischief inside my house!!!;)

geminidglocker
01-28-10, 15:14
Where in the write up does it say he used birdshot??? Did I miss something?

snappy
01-28-10, 19:19

I don't see that either. :confused: Hooray for another sh*tbag off the streets in Phx!

Iraqgunz
01-28-10, 19:40
It didn't. Not sure where he got that from.

Irish
01-28-10, 19:46
It didn't. Not sure where he got that from.

I'd posted a few shotgun shooting/burglary incidents in the past day and one of them had been using bird shot... possibly a mix up? Quit drinking and surfing M4C :D

crob1
01-28-10, 19:47
At least that's one BG that won't get off on a technicality! That is heartwarming!

Cohibra45
01-29-10, 10:03
Out of curiousity...why would you keep a round loaded in the shotgun that is known not to perform in a self defense scenario especially if you contemplate using that weapon?

Basically, it's what I have on hand.

Do you have some information I can read (links) that show what shotgun rounds work in different situations?

Thanks

geminidglocker
01-29-10, 10:37
I once read somewhere that if you "Score" a line around the base of the Wad on a bird shotshell, it separates at that point, instead of the shot and wad leaving the caseing, and thus travels as one solid mass like a slug. I do not condone modifying factory ammunition in any way, shape or form, save for the Paco tool for .22lr. I just wanted to share for information purposes only.

Cohibra45
01-29-10, 13:19
I once read somewhere that if you "Score" a line around the base of the Wad on a bird shotshell, it separates at that point, instead of the shot and wad leaving the caseing, and thus travels as one solid mass like a slug. I do not condone modifying factory ammunition in any way, shape or form, save for the Paco tool for .22lr. I just wanted to share for information purposes only.

I hear you on the Paco tool for .22lr..............good adaption for .22's!!!;)

I need to take my shotgun to the range to see what that load will do in 20' or less. I think that it will act as one mass......kinda like a slug that will dispurse inside like a fragment shell. I might be wrong.

I know a slug or the old pumpkin balls would be about the best for HP. I have some slugs, but have to dig to find them if that is what you guys might suggest.

By the way, what do you guys think is the best shotgun medicine for HP???

BTW, here is the link to the Paco tool we were talking about:

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

ACU’RZR

PHASE III NASTI-NOSE

PHASE IV BABY-SCORP’N

THE ACU’RZR TOOL NOW COMES IN TWOFORMS... THE REDESIGNED NASTINOSE CALLED THE PHASE III TOOL. AND THE NEW BABY SCORP’N CALLED THE PHASE IV TOOL.

IN THE PHOTO BELOW (PHASE III) THE RE-DESIGNED NASTINOSE IS THE FIRST TOOL, LONGER AND THINNER. THE NEW PHASE IV, BABY SCORP’N, IS THE SHORTER AND HEFTIER VERSION. BOTH DO DIFFERENT THINGS.... AND PRODUCE DIFFERENT TYPES OF 22 RIMFIRE AMMO.

THE NASTINOSE PRODUCES A DISHED HOLLOW POINT THAT LOOKS LIKE AN ASHTRAY FOR A 22RF NOSE. WHEN IT STRIKES THE TARGET, IT OPENS QUICKLY AND EFFICIENTLY... UNLIKE MOST COMMERCIAL 22RF AMMO WITH SMALL HOLES AND NEGLIGIBLE EXPANSION FOR HOLLOW POINTS... THE NASTINOSE WILL OPEN EVEN STANDARD VELOCITY AMMO. IT WILL NOT EXPLODE ON CONTACT LIKE THE HYPER-VELOCITY AMMO. EVEN 22 RIMFIRE SHORTS WILL WORK LIKE THEY NEVER HAD BEFORE.

THE HYPER STUFF IS FINE FOR VERMIN AND SUCH. I USE IT OFTEN, OR USED TO. I DON’T NEED TO PAY THEIR HIGH PRICES ANYMORE, WITH MY TOOLS AT HAND.... ANYWAY, FOR SMALL EATING GAME LIKE SQUIRRELS THE HYPER AMMO IS TOO MUCH. AND THE MEDIUM VELOCITY, HOLLOW POINTED COMMERCIAL AMMO OFTEN FAILS TO OPEN. BUT NOT SO WITH THE NASTINOSE. THERE IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD WITH INEXPENSIVE ROUND NOSE 22 RIMFIRE AMMO WAITING FOR THE SHOOTER WITH NASTI-NOSE..

FOR THE PRICE OF TWO BOXES OF HYPER STUFF, I PURCHASED 550 ROUNDS OF MEDIUM VELOCITY ROUND NOSE FEDERAL AMMO. IT TOOK ME ONLY 15 MINUTES WHILE WATCHING T.V. TURNING THEM INTO NASTINOSE AMMO.

ALL AMMO PRODUCED IN THE TOOLS COMES OUT MORE ACCURATELY BECAUSE THE BULLET DIAMETER COMES OUT THE SAME EVERY TIME. THE NOSE SHAPES MAY DIFFER AS PER CHOICE OF HUNT OR TARGET.

22RF RIFLES AND HANDGUNS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR BEING PERSNICKETY ABOUT THE AMMO THEY LIKE AND SHOOT WELL. THE GUN IN QUESTION MAY STILL BE CHOOSY ABOUT THE AMMO IT WANTS... BUT IT WILL GIVE BETTER ACCURACY WITH WHAT EVER IT WANTS AFTER REFORMING.

THAT BRINGS US TO THE DISH NOSE SHAPE. THE DISH NOSE FORMING ROD IS FOR ACCURACY AND PAPER TARGETS. IT MAKES VERY SHARP AND CLEAN CUT HOLES IN PAPER... AND THE CONSISTENCY OF THE BULLET DIAMETER PULLS THE GROUPS TOGETHER.

DIFFERENT BORE DIAMETERS IN 22 RIMFIRE GUN BARRELS NEED DIFFERENT DIAMETER BULLETS. THE VAST MAJORITY OF BARRELS RESPOND TO .223 AND .224 DIAMETER AMMO VERY WELL SO OUR STANDARD TOOL IS CHAMBERED ON EACH END FOR THOSE TWO SIZES. LOOSE REVOLVER TYPE HANDGUNS RESPOND TO .225 SOMETIMES BETTER THAN THE TIGHTER DIAMETERS. MEASURE YOUR BORE AND SEND US THE DIAMETER. IF YOU CAN, PULL A BULLET OUT OF A 22 RIMFIRE ROUND AND PUSH IT THRU A BARREL WITH A CLEANING ROD. SEND IT IN WITH YOU ORDER. WE WILL HANDLE THE CORRECT CHAMBERING.

THE PHASE III COMES WITH THE DISH/TARGET NOSE FORMING ROD AND THE NASTI-NOSE FORMING ROD AND TWO CHAMBERINGS IN THE SAME TOOL. THEY ARE MADE OF STRONG BRASS, NEVER TO RUST OR CORRODE.

THE PHASE IV, COMING OUT THIS MONTH, WILL HAVE A DISH NOSE FORMING ROD AND THE NEW BABY SCORP’N FORMING ROD. THE SCORP’N ROD WAS DESIGNED TO HAVE THE BULLET STILL EXPAND ALMOST AS MUCH AS THE NASTINOSE... BUT THE INTERNAL POST IN THE CENTER OF THE HOLLOW ALLOWS FOR GREATER PENETRATION ON LARGER SMALL GAME. AS THE SCORPIONS IN THE DESERT SOUTH WEST HAVE NASTY STINGING TAILS THAT TEND TO STRIKE RIGHT OVER THEIR NOSE, SURPRISING THEIR ENEMY, SO DOES THE 22 RIMFIRE BABY SCORP’N NOSE... BUT WITH A GOOD DEAL MORE KILLING POWER.

Paco Kelly's Acu’rzr

PHOTO of BULLETS:

FIRST ROW SHOWS THE BABY SCORP’N...YOU CAN SEE THE OPEN HOLLOW WITH A POST IN THE CENTER. LAYING DOWN BESIDE THEM, THE ROUNDS SHOW A SLIGHT ‘TIT’ OF THE POST SHOWING. THE THREE EXPANDED BULLETS WERE TAKEN FROM TOUGH OLD JACK RABBITS.

SECOND ROW SHOWS THE NASTINOSE, VERY LARGE DISHED HOLLOW POINT, EVEN ON 22RF SHORTS... TOP EXPANDED BULLET IS A 40 GRAIN STANDARD VELOCITY TAKEN FROM A CAT. BOTTOM EXPANDED BULLET FROM A STANDARD VELOCITY 29 GR SHORT, TAKEN FROM A DESERT RAT.

THIRD ROW IS THE DISH NOSEFOR TARGET WORK CUTS NEAT ROUND HOLES IN PAPER. SMALL EXPANDED BULLET AT THAT ROW SHOWS IT WILL HARVEST A SMALL ANIMAL ALSO.

THERE ARE SIX SELECTIONS YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM, FOR AN ORDER....

I HAVE BEEN ASKED SEVERAL TIMES ABOUT ALL THE TOOLS AND THEIR PRICES....SO HERE THEY ARE. ALL TOOLS CAN BE CUSTOM CUT FOR TARGET AND EURO BARRELS.... JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT FIREARMS YOU USE MOST....

#1 THE SIMPLE PHASE 3 IS A BASIC ACU'RZR THAT MAKES A .223 OR .224 REFORMED BULLET, COMES WITH ALL THREE FORMING RODS.... $65

#2 THE PHASE 4 IS FOR THOSE FOLKS LIKE ME THAT HAVE A NUMBER OF 22 RIMFIRE FIREARMS... FOUR FORMING CHAMBERS .222 THRU .225 ALL RODS.$75

THE MAXI SERIES IS FOR HIGH PRODUCTION ...ALL RODS

#3 THE MAXI 3 (REFORMS THREE ROUNDS AT A TIME) $100
#4 THE MAXI 4 (REFORMS FOUR ROUNDS AT A TIME) $128
#5 THE MINI ACU'RZR (POCKET SIZE 3/8ths DIA.) $45 (CUP AND NASTI-NOSE RODS)
#6 THE SUPER MINI (1/2 DIA. BODY) $52 ALL RODS

ALL ACU'RZRS ARE MADE ON A SIMPLE LATHE AND CHAMBERED WITH CUSTOM CHAMBERING REAMERS (PATENT PENDING) THE PHASE 4 AND THE MAXI SERIES ARE NOW SHIPPED IN A NEAT STORAGE BOX....
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.................. PACO

And here:

jrainer
01-29-10, 13:49

okay so I gotta ask what's the paco tool

tommy5.56
01-29-10, 14:04
okay so I gotta ask what's the paco tool

it's use to accurize your regular .22 lr bullet into match grade. Here's an article of it from gun blast.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm

parishioner
01-29-10, 14:07
Having not done any research on statistics of break ins, I'm finding it interesting that many of these recent ones being posted are occurring during the day.

I guess it drives home the point one must always be vigilant, not just at night.

decodeddiesel
01-29-10, 15:10

Do you have some information I can read (links) that show what shotgun rounds work in different situations?

Thanks

Please read the following link and keep in mind the FBI specified penetration depth of 12" - 18".

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958

Birdshot is a terrible choice for a defensive load. It has been hashed, and rehashed time and time again on this site to the point of ad-nauseam. I will not get into it again.

Also mind you we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to terminal ballistics right here at M4C.

Alpha Sierra
01-29-10, 18:23

That doesn't work. Wads have longitudinal slits along the length of the cup all around it. The moment the cup leaves the muzzle the petals open up from drag and the wad slows dramatically separating from the shot cloud.

Nothing you can do to the base will stop that from happening.

Alpha Sierra
01-29-10, 18:25

Thanks

Just buy a box of 00 buckshot and be done with it. It's been the police-standard defensive cartridge for shotguns for over 100 years and for a damned good reason.

Devastation

LHS
01-29-10, 19:58
I once read somewhere that if you "Score" a line around the base of the Wad on a bird shotshell, it separates at that point, instead of the shot and wad leaving the caseing, and thus travels as one solid mass like a slug.

Doesn't work. I tried it at the range one day for shits and giggles. All I got was the front part of the shell stuck in the chamber. The crimp opened up, the shot flew down the barrel normally, but the extractor just tore off the case head and left the remainder of the shell body in the chamber, where it promptly jammed as the next shell was fed in.

Cohibra45
01-29-10, 22:03
Please read the following link and keep in mind the FBI specified penetration depth of 12" - 18".

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958

Birdshot is a terrible choice for a defensive load. It has been hashed, and rehashed time and time again on this site to the point of ad-nauseam. I will not get into it again.

Also mind you we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to terminal ballistics right here at M4C.

Based on that link, I guess I'll have to break out my Brenneke slug rounds. Those seem to be the best thing for penetration.:D

decodeddiesel
01-29-10, 22:28
Based on that link, I guess I'll have to break out my Brenneke slug rounds. Those seem to be the best thing for penetration.:D

While I do not want to further derail this thread I feel I must say:

PLEASE DO NOT USE A SLUG FOR HOME DEFENSE!!!

Sorry to say it like that, but remember while under penetration is less than desirable, over penetration can be far worse.

Best bet is a modern reduced recoil 00 buckshot load, preferably with a Flite control wad.

Even better than that, if were talking about long arms for home defense, is an AR type rifle with a Surefire White Light, Aimpoint Red Dot Sight, and a PMAG loaded with 30 rounds of Hornady 60gr TAP ammo.

I am glad no one other than the bad guy was hurt, and can't believe such a moron as to loose his life over some change at a car wash.

sff70
01-30-10, 08:14
No so long ago, one of our local characters used birdshot to kill his g/f, the g/f's mother, and then himself. Also shot the g/f's brother in the arm and damn near amputated it.

Having said that, these are the exception. There are an awful lot of people out there who've been shot by birdshot and survived (Cheney's attorney friend is one of them).

While it will make a nasty wound (b/c there are an awful lot of pellets in a 1 oz load of #9), it won't make a deep wound.

I get so tired of of uninformed people saying that birdshot is a good defense load.

Yes, it won't penetrate as many walls as buckshot will, but this same lack of performance on drywall shows it will lack in performance on the much tougher human body.

GLOCKMASTER
01-30-10, 10:34
If you would like to discuss the terminal ballistics of shotgun ammunition please take it to the appropriate forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.