PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR as a closed fixed stock

Armadillo
01-27-10, 23:40
I live in a AWB state.

I can only get a UBR if it is pinned.

If it is pinned in a closed position, would that be a big problem as far as comfort and usability goes?

I am 6" and do not use body armor.

I can have it pinned in a better position but do not like how it looks.

What will happen to my accuracy if the stock is too short?

Thanks guys!

SWATcop556
01-27-10, 23:54
Most of the shooting I do with my UBR is with it fully collapsed. The only time I extend it is if I have time before going prone.

I dint see accuracy suffering but YMMV for your body type. I'm 5'10" 175.

Armadillo
01-27-10, 23:57
Most of the shooting I do with my UBR is with it fully collapsed. The only time I extend it is if I have time before going prone.

I dint see accuracy suffering but YMMV for your body type. I'm 5'10" 175.

It is a relief to know that a closed UBR is possible.

In the real world, I doubt I'll shoot it much prone.

I look forward to other points of view...

LaVista
01-28-10, 00:10
I run a magpul CTR out one click, which should be pretty close to the UBR's length of pull, I think?

If the fully collapsed UBR is too short for you magpul makes an enhanced buttpad that will add .7 inches to the length of pull.

Armadillo
01-28-10, 00:16
I run a magpul CTR out one click, which should be pretty close to the UBR's length of pull, I think?

If the fully collapsed UBR is too short for you magpul makes an enhanced buttpad that will add .7 inches to the length of pull.

Good to know about that pad. Thanks!

decodeddiesel
01-28-10, 10:35
Personally I wouldn't pin a UBR. It's not an easy stock to pin. The ACS or SOPMOD is a much easier stock to have pinned. For that matter why not get a Sully Stock (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-83/Sully-Stock/Detail) so you don't have to worry about pinning it? Last time I visited my friends behind enemy lines in CT they were running Sully Stocks on 16" middys and it was an awesome set-up. The length of pull is just about perfect for me.

As far as length of pull with the UBR goes, a fully collapsed UBR is a good length if you shoot squared up with the stock tucked in a little further into your chest like so:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/10182009007.jpg

I am 6' 220lbs and this is how I run my stocks. I prefer a SOPMOD one click out from fully collapsed.

If you shoot bladed, then this stock position will not work well for you.

SWATcop556
01-28-10, 14:22
Good point. I didn't clarify but I shoot squared up since I'm normally wearing armor and plates.

Belmont31R
01-28-10, 14:56
Id go with a short fixed stock, too. Why have all the weight of the UBR if you can't even take advantage of it? Its a heavy SOB....

decodeddiesel
01-28-10, 15:24
OT, but I was just looking at that picture again and remembered I had an M&P45 full size in an MTAC on under that shirt in that pic. :eek:

ForTehNguyen
01-28-10, 15:24
why not get a fixed A2 stubby stock?

eternal24k
01-28-10, 15:25
I 2nd the Sully Stock opinion

crazymoose
01-28-10, 17:59
I 2nd the Sully Stock opinion

I 3rd this option. I can't really understand paying $250 + the cost of pinning it, simply to have it do something that the Sully stock does very, very well at half the cost.

bluepythons
01-28-10, 18:35
I have a rifle that was originally called a "commander" from Sully, 16" barrel with a full length handguard. Now the term recce is more fitting. It has a sully stock and it is a solid stock, a little heavy, but solid and is tough as hell. Sometimes I thing about changing it out for a ACS etc but it is very comfortable, dependable (no parts to break), and always ready to go, no need to adjust etc.

Really work taking a closer look at, play with one of you can.

ckay
01-28-10, 21:01
I have mine pinned in the 2nd position. You know you can pull the top cover off and move it so you don't have the big gap.

Pull the 4 allens.

frogger
01-28-10, 21:07
I don't get paying that much money for a collapsible stock with the strength of a fixed stock if it isn't collapsible anymore. Just buy a fixed A2 stock or a fixed stubby stock if you prefer that length. Buy ammo with the change.

ckay
01-28-10, 21:09
I don't get paying that much money for a collapsible stock with the strength of a fixed stock if it isn't collapsible anymore. Just buy a fixed A2 stock or a fixed stubby stock if you prefer that length. Buy ammo with the change.
The heavier stock could've been used to balance out a heavy front end :confused:

frogger
01-28-10, 21:11
The heavier stock could've been used to balance out a heavy front end :confused:

So put a weight in the A2 stock. They make lead weights that are the exact size of the hollow part of the stock. Still WAY cheaper than a UBR.

xjustintimex
01-28-10, 21:14
Good point. I didn't clarify but I shoot squared up since I'm normally wearing armor and plates.

is it better to shoot bladed if your not wearing armor?

SWATcop556
01-28-10, 22:06

I only shoot bladed if the situation dictates I have to. I prefer being squared up when shooting if possible. It's just more comfortable and it's how I shoot at work.

I personally feel that bladed has it's place but not in modern gunfighting.

It's OT but I don't think Paul would mind me using this as an example. Read the following story and you'll understand why bladed is not a good habit to have.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38540

decodeddiesel
01-28-10, 22:17

No, not in my opinion.

The "squared up" stance when used correctly is far superior to the bladed stance with regards to recoil management.

xjustintimex
01-28-10, 22:42
No, not in my opinion.

The "squared up" stance when used correctly is far superior to the bladed stance with regards to recoil management.

ya I like being squared up for recoil and comfort however I feel more accurate bladed. I practice squared for the fact I can put a lot of shots into the paper fairly accurately that way relatively fast. this discussion just made me think that I dont have armor so my body would be pretty open.

edit: sorry for taking this ot