PDA

View Full Version : “Public safety is the top priority for the City of Tulsa..."

Hoss356
01-28-10, 11:33
http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=3528

FOP rejects pay cut; 155 officers are laid off

The Fraternal Order of Police has rejected a proposal by Mayor Dewey Bartlett to accept a 5.2 percent pay cut, leading to the layoff of 155 police officers on Jan. 29.

Ryan Perkins of the FOP considered Bartlett’s final offer a 13.57 percent cut in pay and benefits.

Bartlett said his plan is essentially a 5.2 percent pay cut for all policemen and would extend for 17 months, thereby sidestepping further negotiations at the start of the fiscal year this summer.

“They have a choice,” Bartlett said of the police union. “A plan with zero layoffs - that’s a good offer. We want to preserve all the jobs.”

Ryan Perkins of the FOP said the union was preparing to vote on Bartlett’s previous plan on last Friday when he came up with a new plan and placed a deadline of the end of this week.

“We answered the problem (the shortfall),” Ryan said. “Then he moved the target away. Every time we get closer to the target, he moves it away.”

On last Friday, 155 police officers and 147 firefighters got layoff notices as well as 59 city employees in other departments. The police and fire unions have contracts with the city and are forbidden by law to strike.

Bartlett and the Tulsa Firefighters Local 176 agreed to a plan that, if approved by union members this week, would preserve those jobs with an over 5.2 percent salary cut for the next 18 months. It also has cuts on fitness pay and clothing allowances and restructuring that might eliminate some upper management positions.

A vote by firefighters is expected Saturday.

Tulsa’s 2,400 non-public safety employees voted last week in a nonbinding labor union poll to accept layoffs instead of a 5.2 percent pay cut.

At present, Tulsa has about 674 firefighters and 808 police officers. The Fire Department and Police Department have $2.5 million and $3.5 million budget shortfalls with the overall shortfall for the city at about $10 million.

Because the police and firemen have union contracts, if they don’t voluntarily accept cuts, Bartlett’s only choice is to lay off personnel. The city is bound by state law to balance its budget and cannot borrow money for general fund expenses.

Under the latest plan, federal Justice Assistance Grant funding of $2.5 million might be used over 11 months to help pay for the officers. Under that scenario, 58 police officers would be laid off and then rehired quickly and paid with federal “stimulus” money.

The latest plan also seeks to minimize overtime pay and does not let officers who live outside Tulsa take their patrol cars home after their shifts. Officers would get no pay increases with promotions this year or in the next fiscal year.

The plan does have a trigger - if on Dec. 31 city sales tax revenues are projected to reach $244 million, the city would reopen negotiations.

The plan calls for eight-hour shifts, five days a week and the use of a beat system in which officers cover smaller geographic areas. At present, officers work 10-hour shifts four days a week.

Another complication in the negotiations is the resignation of Police Chief Ron Palmer. Palmer was hired by ex-mayor Kathy Taylor as an at-will employee of her personal staff rather than a member of the police department (who would be protected by Civil Service).

Bartlett has named Chuck Jordan as interim police chief.

Bartlett, who has been in office less than two months, said Palmer had offered his resignation and last week, Bartlett decided to accept that offer. Bartlett said he apologized to Palmer because Palmer found out about the decision through the news media rather than directly from Bartlett.

“I greatly appreciate Chief Palmer’s service to the City of Tulsa and admire his commitment to the department,” Bartlett said. “This has been one of the most difficult periods in the city’s financial history.”

“Public safety is the top priority for the City of Tulsa. Be assured that Interim Chief Jordan has the knowledge and the skills in Tulsa law enforcement to hit the ground running.

As a former Deputy Sheriff and former Tulsa police sergeant, Chief Jordan understands the dynamics of law enforcement in the Tulsa area. He is already familiar with our city’s police officers, and they know him,” Bartlett said. “I am confident he can lead the command staff to focus our officers’ efforts and the activities of the department in the areas where they are needed most.” [/B]

Talk about a Sh--ty situation, without knowing the complete story and every detail I can't say if this could have been prevented but it certainly does suck. And while emergency responders can't strike, I think even saying that they would strike if they could is a slap in the face.

I'll quote a guy I used to work with, as a navy firefighter who's now an EMT/paramedic, after hearing Canadian ambulance drivers were striking; "The day I start doing this for the money is the day I walk away!" - L. Dano.

glocktogo
01-28-10, 23:38
Mayor Bartlett has inherited a terrible situation from an outgoing liberal mayor who ducked and ran without even a reelection bid.

That said, he's making a complete mess of it and is currently trying to villainize the police and fire while threatening taxpayers with more taxes. He's an idiot and he's making the entire city miserable.