PDA

View Full Version : shortage of stuff at the fun shops

30 cal slut
01-28-10, 20:01
walked into the fun store last weekend - no glocks.

ffl said nobody was shipping during the shot show.

perusing some of the online venues for aimpoints.

all sold out.

is this also because of the shot show, or are there a lot of hungry accessory-shopping ar owners out there? :confused:

Outlander Systems
01-28-10, 20:34
Interesting. I called five gun shops in the metro area last weekend, and only one had a G21SF in stock - period. I was fortunate that it was the Standard-Railed/RH Mag-release version.

So, I would consider that to be a shortage.

Rider79
01-28-10, 21:16
Weird. We have Glocks coming out of our ears here. My friend's shop has several and there's at least 10 or 15 for sale locally on backpage.com. Not to mention the 12 in my safe.

rickrock305
01-28-10, 21:22
Not to mention the 12 in my safe.

really? damn...

kaiservontexas
01-28-10, 21:30
I got my Glock 17 back in 07. I went to the local Academy and Bass Pro. I had Academy call around, nada at the stores. I had to go to Collector's to find one. I guess sometimes are just blah months or moments. Glock is a popular handgun. To make Collector's worth while I got the one with the night sights. My heart was set on one, and the shop was on the way home from university.

30 cal slut
01-28-10, 21:45
i suppose it's a seasonal thing, with shops and distributors thinning out the inventory to make room for new stuff ... but i don't recall having this tough of a time buying stuff.

somewhat surprising in this economy (stuff selling like hotcakes), or maybe not (retailers keeping inventories lean) ?

TOrrock
01-29-10, 07:40
Definitely seasonal.

Most shops can't afford to have a lot of high priced inventory during tax time.

Stores will start restocking after taxes.

Spiffums
01-29-10, 08:11
Definitely seasonal.

Ewww the T word. :p

tirod
01-29-10, 09:49
Definitely seasonal.

THIS ^

Let's add in that most shops don't order direct - they purchase from wholesalers, who do the same thing - reduce inventory at TAX time. There's also no point in loading up the shelves with more of last years merchandise when sales go into a typical post holiday slump.

It's the dead season, like Tuesday at the Mall. My employer won't even consider hiring replacements until March - which means I'm getting 40 hours a week as we just lost two. No more short schedules.

As far as the TAX issue, the IRS charges a lot for existing inventory. It's the major reason so little construction material was available directly after Katrina. The logistics stream is now geared to dribbling Just In Time Inventory to the retail point of sale. Sudden demand will exceed available supply frequently now, and it's nearly as expensive to ship many small lots as one big one. More so in many situations.

Your government elected official is the one to contact about it. In the meantime you pay higher prices for less on the shelf.

thopkins22
01-29-10, 10:50
I got my Glock 17 back in 07. I went to the local Academy and Bass Pro. I had Academy call around, nada at the stores. I had to go to Collector's to find one. I guess sometimes are just blah months or moments. Glock is a popular handgun. To make Collector's worth while I got the one with the night sights. My heart was set on one, and the shop was on the way home from university.

How much did Collector's (over)charge?

Expect a PM...us Houstonians need to get together and shoot more.

kaiservontexas
01-29-10, 11:47
Actually the pistol was under 600. I do not remember if it was closer to 550 or 600 though, sorry. I know Collector's is horribly expensive. It is fun going there though, and yeah I got mine during the beginning of the Spring seasons; so, good to know inventories lack that time of year.

thopkins22
01-29-10, 11:59
That's not bad. Sometimes I think that the business itself is the collector and they price their goods so that they don't have to sell anything from the collection.

I asked about an AK sight tool there, and the guy brought me a tool that ONLY handled elevation, and they wanted $25.

I've also been there when a cop was asking about ARs, and the guy behind the counter told him that if he wanted to upgrade it, he should put in a titanium firing pin, and only run HK mags...he went on to say that PMAGs were only acceptable as range mags.

They have some awesome stuff though.