PDA

View Full Version : New here, couple of questions

el_chingoton13
01-28-10, 20:12
Hello everyone, I'm a junior at Texas Tech University and I just purchased my first gun. It is a 16" BCM mid length upper and BCM lower. I'm 20 years old, and the owner of the gunshop I had the lower sent to says I need to be 21 before I can get the lower. Does this apply only to stripped lowers or what? I was a little freaked by it since I wont be 21 until late April. :confused: Also anything I should get along with the rifle to help at the range? Thanks for the help.

Edited for added question.

geminidglocker
01-28-10, 20:15
Welcome aboard. Sadly, I believe he is correct, as a stripped Receiver can be used to build an AR Pistol/Handgun.:( Is the lower stripped?

el_chingoton13
01-28-10, 20:18
Its the BCM complete receiver. That was the reason he gave for having to wait, but I wasn't sure since it's complete.

Artos
01-28-10, 20:19
hmmm...i'll have to double check this for you but I'm pretty sure stripped lowers or 'other' actions were indeed 21yrs due to the fact they can built into pistols.

too bad it couldn't be purchased as a complete gun as that would clearly be a rifle??

How's leach holding up??:D:p:D

el_chingoton13
01-28-10, 20:20
lol he's doing fine, trying to appeal his case but we'll see how that goes. I'm kinda excited for the new coach though.

Artos
01-28-10, 20:27
lol he's doing fine, trying to appeal his case but we'll see how that goes. I'm kinda excited for the new coach though.

wanna hear something great...i have an A&M hunting buddy on the same deer lease who would LOVE to have leach take over the aggie program!! Greatness...

Hey amigo...you did good on your choice with bcm. Hope you can work it out to get your rifle. Time will fly and you will be looking back and laughing at this thread in short order.

Welcome to the site!!

el_chingoton13
01-28-10, 20:34
lol that team needs all the help they could get, minus beating us this past year...total fluke by the way. But yea thanks! I look forward to having this thing in one piece, it's not fun just staring at an upper all day.

Artos
01-28-10, 21:00
worst case scenario it is already paid for and yours, correct?? You can always 4473 it out in April??

My advice would be to call the local ATF (maybe ask the ffl if he has a regular) and explain the situation. Be totally up front and see if there is a solution. I would ask if it would be OK if one of your parents could 4473 it out and gift it to you. Just need to be honest about the whole transaction & roll with it. I know there are stories but every atf agent I have dealt with has been great. Try to see if you can meet in person and let them know beforehand you can present the upper if needed.

If you are stuck to April, then you have lots of time to study and go broke on optics and other goodies. Think positive!!;)

el_chingoton13
01-28-10, 21:33
Yea its already paid for and everything, and he said that if I do have to wait he'll just hold it for me until I'm 21 in which case I would put a handgun on lay-a-way to get at the same time, which I'll probably do anyways.

rljatl
01-29-10, 08:37
That's silly. Why can't he put the two halves together and sell it to you as a complete rifle? Call the ATF.

FWIW, both of my sisters graduated from Texas Tech.

el_chingoton13
01-29-10, 08:55
Yea I suggested that to him and he didn't like the idea.

C4IGrant
01-29-10, 09:19
hmmm...i'll have to double check this for you but I'm pretty sure stripped lowers or 'other' actions were indeed 21yrs due to the fact they can built into pistols.

too bad it couldn't be purchased as a complete gun as that would clearly be a rifle??

How's leach holding up??:D:p:D

I believe that you are correct. Lowers are that are not built as a "rifle" cannot be sold to anyone under 21.

C4

Artos
01-29-10, 10:36
I believe that you are correct. Lowers are that are not built as a "rifle" cannot be sold to anyone under 21.

C4

...i went to a batfe conference last year and it's a fairly recent change from what i remember. The explanation was along the lines of since actions / receivers / frames that would are marked 'other' in the a&d book cannot be 4473 to a rifle as any of them could effectively be turned into a pistol & pulled in the 21yr requirement.

I'm "guessing" if bcm sent his set up complete and was assembled from the get go as a rifle, it would be a non issue but that would have to be confirmed with bcm?? Probably a long shot at best.

C4IGrant
01-29-10, 11:09
...i went to a batfe conference last year and it's a fairly recent change from what i remember. The explanation was along the lines of since actions / receivers / frames that would are marked 'other' in the a&d book cannot be 4473 to a rifle as any of them could effectively be turned into a pistol & pulled in the 21yr requirement.

I'm "guessing" if bcm sent his set up complete and was assembled from the get go as a rifle, it would be a non issue but that would have to be confirmed with bcm?? Probably a long shot at best.

BCM does not sell complete rifles, so that assumption could not be made.

The REALLY grey area to me is if the lower has a LPK and stock installed in it. If it does, then is it a rifle or other? I have heard two different ATF agents tell me two different things. :rolleyes:

C4

el_chingoton13
01-29-10, 14:21
Looks like I'll be at the mercy of the gun shop owner's mercy and how he interprets the law.

kwelz
01-29-10, 15:49
Are there any implications to having the Shop owner assemble the lower into a complete rifle and then transferring it?

Iraqgunz
01-29-10, 15:58
The law applies only to stripped lowers as they are neither a rifle or pistol. Tell him to re-read the BATF guidelines or call and get clarification.

Its the BCM complete receiver. That was the reason he gave for having to wait, but I wasn't sure since it's complete.

el_chingoton13
01-29-10, 17:05
hmmmm I'll be sure and let him know.

Artos
01-29-10, 18:35
Are there any implications to having the Shop owner assemble the lower into a complete rifle and then transferring it?

from an ffl point of view, I would just need something to confirm it was ok to 4473 out to buyer "directly from atf". I would also keep the OK to procced on file simply due to the confusion. Like grant said, there can be discrepancies within atf and we just need to cover ourselves. My experience is they have been very helpful when the situation is clear & it's pretty obvious chingoton is not trying to get anything other than his rifle set up.

no way would i assemble and transfer knowing there is grey area.... I do not question iraq's knowledge but it still would need to be addressed as the ffl is already wary.

el_chingoton13
01-30-10, 18:45
Well looks like I'll have to wait, but to give me more to look forward to I'm gonna put an FNX-9 on lay-a-way when it's available.

bkb0000
01-30-10, 18:51
why not have a parent do the transfer?

el_chingoton13
01-30-10, 20:34
Well I would but my dad's in India for work, and my mom is rrreeeeaaalllyyy against guns, so yea I'm stuck waiting for a bit.

Iraqgunz
01-31-10, 03:27
Ok, I am really confused. Is this lower complete with a stock and lower parts kit? If so, then it is not the same as the stripped lowers referred to on the 4473. If this FFL doesn't know that I would be concerned doing any business with him as he should know this.

Just my .02 cents.