PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun Upper

jwfuhrman
01-29-10, 09:04
ok, prolly be asked a million times but heres what Im wondering.

I have right now a 18.5in Noveske barreled upper with Troy MRF-X 13.8in rail and a 1-4x20 Leopould VXII scope.

I also have a 16in Daniel Defense M4 barreled upper with Troy TRX Extreme 11in rail with no scope.

Im debating on putting the 1-4x20 Lepould scope on the 16in upper and converting my 18.5in Noveske upper back to the SPR I had built it originally for(4.5-14 burris scope originally on it).

Would the 16in DD M4 barrel setup be accurate enough for the longer ranges you shoot at some 3 gun matches, or should I just leave things as they are.

tmanker
01-29-10, 15:06
This is a fly-over of 3-gun rifle anatomy. http://demigodllc.com/articles/evolution-of-the-3-gun-practical-rifle/

jwfuhrman
01-29-10, 15:14
that really didnt help any.

Im wanting to know if using a 16in barrel would be a bigger disadvantage or if I should just stick to using my 18.5in barreled upper I currently have.

glockshooter
01-29-10, 17:20
The BBL will be fine. You are starting out with a quality BBL, so the rest of it is up to you. And just for your info Taran Butler uses a 16" most of the time, and he is probably a close second to Daniel Horner as the best 3gunner in the world.

Matt

Cold
01-29-10, 18:29
ok, prolly be asked a million times but heres what Im wondering.

I have right now a 18.5in Noveske barreled upper with Troy MRF-X 13.8in rail and a 1-4x20 Leopould VXII scope.

I also have a 16in Daniel Defense M4 barreled upper with Troy TRX Extreme 11in rail with no scope.

Im debating on putting the 1-4x20 Lepould scope on the 16in upper and converting my 18.5in Noveske upper back to the SPR I had built it originally for(4.5-14 burris scope originally on it).

Would the 16in DD M4 barrel setup be accurate enough for the longer ranges you shoot at some 3 gun matches, or should I just leave things as they are.

Your 16" barrel will not put you at any disadvantage.

In my opinion, this is a common misnomer in 3 gun (that 16" or less is a disadvantage, its not), most of the shots are not past 300 yards and even when they are, your 16" gun should be able to make the shot if you know how to shoot and where its shooting. I have seen plenty of people run 16" and even 14.5"(with perm brakes) on these stages with great success. Rob Romero of the NST runs a 16" Noveske barrel and does quite well at major matches. I would think your 16" DD would do just fine. That said, the Noveske 18" is another great option.

Either way I am sure you will be just fine. Depends on if you want a heavier gun or lighter weight gun, personal preference in how you like it set up.

Feel free to IM/PM me if you have specific questions.

Chris Rhines
01-29-10, 21:01
It's tough to say if the DD barrel will put you at a disadvantage, without knowing how well the barrel shoots. A 16" barrel in general will be no disadvantage, so long as it's accurate enough to get the hits you need.

3-Gun is pretty much a 2MOA/400 yard game. You'll occasionally see some 600 and 700-yard shots, but those are outliers. If you, your rifle, your optics, and your ammo can shoot into 8" at 400 yards, you're in good shape.

Myself, I prefer a very light gun with an 11" gas system, 17-18" overall.

-C