PDA

View Full Version : H2 buffer in a Middy?

friendlyfireisnt
01-29-10, 14:42
Picked up a nice rifle setup recently on TOS's EE; BCM Middy, LMT BCG, GTS lower, EMOD stock, DD Omega rails, etc.

Rifle came in unfired condition, in absolutely great shape, and unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

But when I took it apart, I noticed that the buffer is an H2 buffer. I have an email into the seller asking him about it (I don't consider that he did anything wrong, I just am curious about the "why").

Is this likely to cause any issues? Should I swap it out?

Thanks.

ForTehNguyen
01-29-10, 15:49
shouldnt cause issues. Might make your casings eject at 1-2 oclock, a little later in the extraction

Jay Cunningham
01-29-10, 15:51
There's no "need" for an H2 in a middy, but if it runs fine and feels fine when you shoot it then there really is not an issue.

USMC03
01-29-10, 16:05
I've been using mid-length gas systems since around 2002 / 2003. Initially I was using a standard carbine buffer and everything worked fine.

Years later I tried using H and H2 buffers (if Ken Elmore uses a H2 buffer in the Colt LE6920's that I bought from him, the H2 buffer weight should work well in a mid-lenght gas system, right? ... what works well in theory doesn't always translate over to the way things work in the real world).

When experimenting with different buffer weights in the mid-length gas system, I didn't see much of a difference between the carbine buffer and H buffers. I noticed when using the H2 buffer in a mid-length, when I was using weaker powered .223 ammo, the spent casings weren't being ejected with as much force or as far as they were when using the carbine buffer. I also noticed a very slight increase in felt recoil when using the H2 buffer.

3 gun shooters have known about reciprocating mass (the heavier the moving mass of the bolt carrier / buffer ... the more felt recoil impulse a shooter is going to feel) for a long time. This is why lighter weight bolt carrier groups and buffers are so popular in 3 gun (lighter bolt carrier group / buffer = less felt recoil impulse). Keep in mind that many 3 gunners who are running lightweight bolt carrier groups and buffers are also running adjustable gas blocks (this allows them to adjust the amount of gas going back into the system, instead of having a fixed size gas port).

I find that the standard carbine buffer with standard Colt action spring works best with the the mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel.

d90king
01-29-10, 16:50
I have only seen them used on middy piston rifles personally...

friendlyfireisnt
01-30-10, 22:57
Thanks guys. I have a friend with a M&P15, sounds like he and I should swap buffers. :D