PDA

View Full Version : What is your EDC BOK?

Submariner
01-29-10, 15:33
No, I don't have one yet.

I did, however, read something Mike G posted several years ago on LMS Defense forums which brought this to mind:

I here lots of people talk about purchasing a single big kit or even a single small kit that they keep in a specific location. This is great and it is the first step to being prepared for a 'right now' event. BUT do you have some sort of BOK everywhere you have a gun stashed or stored? The reason I ask is what will you do with the BOK you have in your glove box when you have barricaded yourself in your safe room after in the middle of a home invasion and a family member is injured? What will you do when you are laying next to your car after an armed conflict, you are injured your opponent is dead, and your BOK is in your range bag at home?

Two lessons to learn from this: Keep a small amount of 'right now' med gear everywhere you keep a gun. Learn and know how to use any and all things around you as med gear.

This is not about gear as much as it is about mindset, Be Prepared.

If one "stores" a gun on one's hip, then it would make sense to have "a small amount of 'right now' med gear" on one's person.

Thincinch in back pocket? With an OB tampon or three for packing? Gloves?

Bandage and no packing is only half of what you need to do

Primed? TK-4? Duct tape? NPA? Deco needle? Safety pins?

Four-inch Olaes?

Doc Gunn BOK? With packing?

He also wrote:

This should apply to everything...
The more you know, the less you carry.....

Danny Boy
01-31-10, 04:38
I still carry a six inch Ace, roll of kerlix, some tape, some Garfield bandaids and some plastic wrapper bound with an elastic band in the left ankle pocket of my ACU's. Two triangular bandages wrapped around ten taped up tongue depressors used to go in the right ankle pocket.

Submariner
01-31-10, 05:44
Thanks, DB. Why a 6-inch rather than four? What purpose do the tongue depressors serve?

What do you carry when not in uniform?

PlatoCATM
01-31-10, 09:23
I bought two IC3s from austere provisions. I put one in an ATS tear-away/molle backed med pouch, but I need to add some celox or quickclot to it. I mounted this to my EDC ruck. The other one I plan to put on my first-line belt for classes and such. I would like to put this BOK in an ICE vertical med pouch, but I'm hesitant to purchase from them. Additionally, for wearers of molle vests and such, I attached, or plan to attach, at least one tourniquet outside to the molle. I thought about borrowing a couple tampons from my girlfriend, but haven't yet.

Danny Boy
01-31-10, 13:09
Thanks, DB. Why a 6-inch rather than four? What purpose do the tongue depressors serve?

What do you carry when not in uniform?

I carry the six inch because I don't need to stick anything else in the pocket really so I have the room for it. I could just throw a six inch Olaes in there, but I can use Ace wrap and Kerlix for separate things and it's available at work. Obviously, the Garfield bandaids get used most.

They made us carry two triangular bandages and eight to ten tongue depressors taped together as an improvised tourniquet and windlass during training. The triangular bandages are pretty useful for a number of things. Not the most efficient TQ, but has more uses than just carrying a purpose made TQ.

When I'm not in uniform I usually have a pack somewhere with some kind of BOK in it or on it. Range gear has it's own set up that stays with it as does my car and house. Those and my aid bag have the majority of the cool gear in it.

Submariner
02-01-10, 09:49
Most of us on this board do not wear a war belt or vest/plate carrier every day. What I had in mind in the original post is determining what, if anything, folks who daily carry a sidearm have on their person for treating a gun shot wound, i.e. the third point of rob_s' Make Holes, Prevent Holes, Patch Holes (http://docs.google.com/View?id=drnhb8z_88c26jvfc7) triad.

My daughters are better prepared than I. In their purses they have a pad (dressing), tampons (packing) and, now, a flattened roll of duct tape (wrap) as well as a pair of gloves.

Fireguy275
02-01-10, 14:42
I carry a Swat TQ, Combat gauze, and gloves in a vacuum sealed pouch. The whole package is the same size as my wallet and fits in the front pocket on a pair of jeans.

If I have more room (ie. cargo pocket) I have a red waterproof pouch that easily holds a CAT, 4" ACE, compressed gauze, Celox, and gloves. I've carried it since January of last year with no problems.

Here's a link to a blog entry with photos of each, http://blog.lmsdefense.com/

Submariner
02-01-10, 15:39
Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

Did you consider a TK-4 instead of the SWAT TQ?

Did you consider PriMed instead of Combat Gauze? I understand that, if needed, it is cheap insurance. But it isn't cheap.

Most vacuum sealers use a wide bag. How did you get this so small?

If you contemplate using the wrapper as a chest seal, how do you carry tape?

Nice blog!

Fireguy275
02-01-10, 18:47
"Did you consider a TK-4 instead of the SWAT TQ? "

No. I wanted multi-use items to keep the footprint as small as possible. The SWAT not only replaces the CAT in this kit, but the 4" Ace bandage as well for use as a pressure dressing. I have not been impressed with earlier TK versions (although I have not used the TK4)

"Did you consider PriMed instead of Combat Gauze? I understand that, if needed, it is cheap insurance. But it isn't cheap."

Having a hemostatic agent to help stop a difficult bleed, that is easy to apply, is worth it's wait in gold to me. At $30ish, that's less than a meal at Applebee's with the family unit.
The CG replaces the H&H compressed gauze for wound packing and Celox carried in the larger kit. 1 item to achieve hemorrage control versus 2.

"Most vacuum sealers use a wide bag. How did you get this so small?"

The sealer I used is the one that Costco sells (and I just found out they have it at Walmart too for about $90). Different sized bags are available and you can trim certain dimensions with scissors. I cut starter tears on the edges to aid in opening the package.

"If you contemplate using the wrapper as a chest seal, how do you carry tape?"

That was more of an afterthought or I would have included some. If I open/repackage this kit or make more of the same I will probably include some lengths of tape laid flat. If needed the patient, bystander, or I could apply pressure if the situation allowed or I could use the SWAT to hold it in place on the torso.

"Nice blog!"

Thank you. I'm just a cog in the machine:D

Submariner
02-01-10, 19:54
Thanks.

Have you considered cutting three strips of tape (one for each side of the occlusive dressing; the fourth side vents) and wrapping them around this kit? You could put tape inside the next ones you make.

MIKE G
02-01-10, 21:00
Fireguy,

That is a pretty spiffy little kit. How long have you been carrying it now? How is it holding up and have you opened it up to see how the contents faired?

I might have to play around with the basic idea and see what I come up with.

Good thinking,

Fireguy275
02-01-10, 21:13
Fireguy,

That is a pretty spiffy little kit. How long have you been carrying it now? How is it holding up and have you opened it up to see how the contents faired?

I might have to play around with the basic idea and see what I come up with.

Good thinking,

It's been daily for a couple of months (including a couple of classes and down at Shot) with no issues. I can see through the wrapper that nothing has changed.

I'm going to redo the kit as soon as I have access to the vacuum sealer again and replace the Combat Gauze with the newer vacuum sealed Combat Gauze. That's the one thing that didn't compress much due to the CG's packaging having air in it.

Sub: I will add some tape to the next one as I'm redoing it with the new CG.

citadelshooter
02-09-10, 15:51
Since I am the designated "first responder" at work for my department, I carry a TacPack Basic and a Adv. Medical .3 UL Kit in my cargo pocket of my pants.

I had to use it once when a client collapsed of a heart attack and hit his head and caused a decent laceration on his temple. Also, had to prep the AED just in case. The EMTs took over shortly thereafter. Luckily Jim survived - 70% blockage in two arteries. Had another H.A. two weeks later and survived it too.

In short, have something handy at all times.