PDA

View Full Version : "WHO DAT" and the NFL

bullseye
01-29-10, 18:37
news flash---the NFL has come out today stating that they own "WHO DAT", no one can sell anything with this expression on it without their exclusive written consent. of course everybody around here is laughing their ass off at such gluttonery nonsense, them coon-asses will pay that no never-mind at all. these money-grubbers surprise even an old man such as myself every now and again,,,if this ain't a crock of it, i have never heard of one,, just thought i'd share this with yall as it's so stupid. this story is all over the newspaper, radio, and t.v., just heard locals commenting,, not pretty.

Artos
01-29-10, 18:39
yep...the who dat fans are really worried and will be carrying their permission slips at the game.:rolleyes:

pretty comical if they think it could be enforced.

bullseye
01-29-10, 18:54
i honest-to-God would not put it past some of the fans to roll the commissioner's yard with some "who-dat" toilet paper----yep--- they actually sell it!!!!

Mjolnir
01-30-10, 08:07
I can tell you that down here (New Orleans) we don't give a damn what the NFL claims.

Palmguy
01-30-10, 08:25
Senator Vitter wrote a letter to Goodell telling him to back off, and signed it "Junior Senator of Who Dat Nation".

lomp64
01-30-10, 11:27
stole that shit from the Bengals in the first place.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-30-10, 23:32

I think that was "Who Dey" as in "Who they think.."

Intellectual property has stooped to "Who Dat"?

Looks like I should copyright:

"WHO DIS"

"WHO DEM"

"WHO DEES"

"WHO DOES"

Oscar 319
01-30-10, 23:46
I think that was "Who Dey" as in "Who they think.."

Intellectual property has stooped to "Who Dat"?

Looks like I should copyright:

"WHO DIS"

"WHO DEM"

"WHO DEES"

"WHO DOES"

Oh no you di-int!

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-30-10, 23:53
Oh no you di-int!

Already have a copyright in process for "Look out, GIRL" yelled in theaters during scary movies. Gonna buy me ACR with that one.

m4fun
01-31-10, 00:07
I think ARMS already has those copywrites.

Oscar 319
01-31-10, 05:44
Already have a copyright in process for "Look out, GIRL" yelled in theaters during scary movies. Gonna buy me ACR with that one.

Don't EVEN go there, girlfriend!

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 13:21

Bull crap.

bullseye
01-31-10, 13:58
i knew i wasn't the only one incredulous, saw this story on "headline news" this morning. saw a story in the local newspaper , some of the "ms sports hall of fame" coaches from "historically black colleges" stating they used the chant in the late '60s, early 70s. my take is that the NFL bean-counters need to scim some of this money from these folks to get their mistress a new fur coat or mercedes,, if any left over they can buy their wife and children lunch at mcdonalds, or something nice for the family, maybe the wife could take the kids to a movie. what a bunch of cockroachs!!!!!

Voodoochild
01-31-10, 14:27
It doesn't surprise me really. The NFL will take anything and try and make more money off it. Pretty sad and ridiculous really. Saints go to the Super Bowl and all of a sudden they see more $$. Obvious money grab.

SteyrAUG
01-31-10, 15:32
God I am so sick of mainstream ghetto speak.

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 18:11
God I am so sick of mainstream ghetto speak.
Broaden your horizons a bit. "Who dat" aint ghetto, my friend. You can find many an Acadian/Cajun/Frenchman as well as Creoles who speak jes like dat. For true yeah, boo. ;)

dookie1481
01-31-10, 18:33
Broaden your horizons a bit. "Who dat" aint ghetto, my friend. You can find many an Acadian/Cajun/Frenchman as well as Creoles who speak jes like dat. For true yeah, boo. ;)

Yeah one of my roommates was from that area...when his buddy would come over and they would talk it was absolutely hilarious...I couldn't understand half of what they were saying...

SteyrAUG
01-31-10, 19:44

Creole is just French Ghetto and has no place in the mainstream.

parishioner
01-31-10, 20:42

The phrase is hardly mainstream. More like subculture.

Anyway, we apologize for polluting and inconveniencing the "mainstream" with a ghetto phrase for a couple of weeks. A phrase that you probably hadn't even heard until not too long ago and a phrase the majority of the country will forget about once the superbowl is over. Ignore the fact that the phrase has put smiles on thousands of faces and lifted spirits in the gulf south. I'm sure you are well aware of the past hardships of the region. I guess the better option would have been for the saints to throw the NFC game out of fear the two words "who" and "dat" would spread like a disease, tainting and eternally altering American culture as we know it.

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 21:09
That's an ignorant comment and jews were not living in ghettoes in New Orleans when the Acadians moved in...

Parisian France is the dialect or was the dialect spoken in Paris, the capital. All other regions of France had their own dialects.

These Northern Frenchmen (and Irishmen) moved into Canada and then were forced out of Canada by the Brits and they moved into South Louisiana speaking the way they spoke several hundred years ago.

Oh, and that word "Creole". What do you know about it? There are several definitions: any European born in the New World; any mixed race person containing French, African and/or Native American blood (living in South Louisiana). So "Creole" French would be ANY French speaker or any dialect of French in the New World - depending upon one's definition. :p

You have much to learn, cher. (That would be Acadien/Acadian/Cajun as opposed to "boo" which would be New Orleans). ;)

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 21:10
jman, where might you be in Louisiana?

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 21:11
I found this on www.bayoushooter.com

The NFL was not behind the "Who Dat" issue, it was none other than Tom Benson. This was filed by Benson the day after beating the Vikings,

http://sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe...s_filing_type=

Detail by Entity Name
Trademark
WHO DAT
Filing Information
Document Number T10000000072
Date Filed 01/25/2010
Expiration Date 01/25/2015
First Used in Florida 11/23/2009
First Used Anywhere 05/01/1988
Status ACTIVE

Mark Used In Connection With
MEN'S, WOMEN'S & CHILDREN'S CLOTHING, CAPS,HEADWEAR, T-SHIRTS, SWEATSHIRTS
Owners
Name & Address
NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA SAINTS, LLC
5800 AIRLINE DRIVE
METAIRIE LA 70003

parishioner
01-31-10, 21:22
I found this on www.bayoushooter.com

The NFL was not behind the "Who Dat" issue, it was none other than Tom Benson. This was filed by Benson the day after beating the Vikings,

http://sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe...s_filing_type=

Detail by Entity Name
Trademark
WHO DAT
Filing Information
Document Number T10000000072
Date Filed 01/25/2010
Expiration Date 01/25/2015
First Used in Florida 11/23/2009
First Used Anywhere 05/01/1988
Status ACTIVE

Mark Used In Connection With
MEN'S, WOMEN'S & CHILDREN'S CLOTHING, CAPS,HEADWEAR, T-SHIRTS, SWEATSHIRTS
Owners
Name & Address
NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA SAINTS, LLC
5800 AIRLINE DRIVE
METAIRIE LA 70003

This is disappointing and embarrassing but not surprising.

ETA: Im not sure if I believe this totally yet.

BTW, Mjolnir, live in Mandeville.

SteyrAUG
01-31-10, 22:27
That's an ignorant comment and jews were not living in ghettoes in New Orleans when the Acadians moved in...

Parisian France is the dialect or was the dialect spoken in Paris, the capital. All other regions of France had their own dialects.

These Northern Frenchmen (and Irishmen) moved into Canada and then were forced out of Canada by the Brits and they moved into South Louisiana speaking the way they spoke several hundred years ago.

Oh, and that word "Creole". What do you know about it? There are several definitions: any European born in the New World; any mixed race person containing French, African and/or Native American blood (living in South Louisiana). So "Creole" French would be ANY French speaker or any dialect of French in the New World - depending upon one's definition. :p

You have much to learn, cher. (That would be Acadien/Acadian/Cajun as opposed to "boo" which would be New Orleans). ;)

Nobody cares Homie French.

SteyrAUG
01-31-10, 22:30
The phrase is hardly mainstream. More like subculture.

Anyway, we apologize for polluting and inconveniencing the "mainstream" with a ghetto phrase for a couple of weeks. A phrase that you probably hadn't even heard until not too long ago and a phrase the majority of the country will forget about once the superbowl is over. Ignore the fact that the phrase has put smiles on thousands of faces and lifted spirits in the gulf south. I'm sure you are well aware of the past hardships of the region. I guess the better option would have been for the saints to throw the NFC game out of fear the two words "who" and "dat" would spread like a disease, tainting and eternally altering American culture as we know it.

Well so long as you are sorry and understand that it is wrong.

:D

And it isn't the Cajuns that bother me so much as the ebonics crowd that use the same phrase and it's adoption by the mainstream.

Mjolnir
02-03-10, 17:28
This is disappointing and embarrassing but not surprising.

ETA: Im not sure if I believe this totally yet.

BTW, Mjolnir, live in Mandeville.

Got to get together for a good meal and beer.

Mjolnir
02-03-10, 17:29
Well so long as you are sorry and understand that it is wrong.

:D

And it isn't the Cajuns that bother me so much as the ebonics crowd that use the same phrase and it's adoption by the mainstream.
Geesh, the Cajuns/Acadians are the ones who speak likek dat. :p Don't let the Truth of the matter blind your Ignorance; please.

Preoccupation with ebonics (when it has nothing to do with "Who Dat") suggests a need to either educate one's self or "let it go".