PDA

View Full Version : Sukhoi T-50 takes flight

TOrrock
01-29-10, 20:26
Doesn't sound like it's a serious threat right now, but give them a few years.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_stealth_fighter

Russia's first stealth fighter makes maiden flight
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer Vladimir Isachenkov, Associated Press Writer Fri Jan 29, 1:59 pm ET

MOSCOW – Russia's first stealth fighter intended to match the latest U.S. design made its maiden flight Friday, boosting the country's efforts to modernize its rusting Soviet-built arsenals and retain its lucrative export market.

The Sukhoi T-50's flight comes nearly two decades after the first prototype of the U.S. F-22 Raptor took to the air, and Russian officials said it will take another five years for the new jet to enter service. Still, the flight marked a major step in Russia's efforts to burnish the faded glory of its aviation industries and strengthen a beleaguered military.

The sleek twin-engined jet closely resembling the Raptor flew for 47-minutes from an airfield at Sukhoi's production plant in the Far Eastern city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur on Friday. Development of the so-called fifth-generation fighter has been veiled in secrecy and no images of it had been released before the flight.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin hailed the flight as a "big step forward," but admitted that "a lot remains to be done in terms of engines and armament."

Craig Caffrey, an analyst for Jane's Defense Procurement-Military Aircraft, said the new fighter is "hugely important," both for modernizing the aging Russian air force fleet and retaining export markets.

"The T-50 should offer the Russian Air Force a significant boost in its capabilities and ensure that it remains one of the best equipped air forces in the world," he told The Associated Press by e-mail.

Caffrey said the new fighter will attract many foreign customers. "For those countries that don't traditionally purchase military equipment from the U.S. it will be the only fifth generation aircraft available," he said.

The NPO Saturn company said in a statement that the jet has new engines, but military analysts suggested that they were a slightly modernized version of the Soviet-era engine powering the Su-27 family of fighters.

"It's a humbug," said independent military analyst Pavel Felgenhauer. "It's just a prototype lacking new engines and a new radar. It takes new materials to build a fifth-generation fighter, and Russia lacks them."

Putin said Friday the first batch of new fighters is set to enter an Air Force evaluation unit in 2013 and serial production is set to begin in 2015.

Caffrey said the task looks "very challenging, given the amount of new technology that is being incorporated into the new aircraft."

Russian military analysts were also skeptical, pointing at a history of delays in the program and other Russian weapons projects.

"The schedule will likely be pushed back as usual," said Alexander Konovalov, the head of the Moscow-based Institute of Strategic Assessment, an independent think tank.

Russia's prospective Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile has failed in at least eight of its 12 test launches, dealing a blow to Russia's hopes of making it a cornerstone of its nuclear arsenal. Officials have blamed the failures on manufacturing flaws resulting from post-Soviet industrial degradation.

Felgenhauer and other observers said the fighter program, which depends on hundreds of subcontractors, has been dogged by similar problems.

Russian officials have said the new fighter, like the Raptor, will have supersonic cruising speed and stealth capabilities. Its pilot, Sergei Bogdan, said in televised remarks that it was easy and pleasant to fly.

While officials saw the new fighter as essential, some analysts said the country has more pressing needs.

"There is no mission and no adversary for such plane," Konovalov said, adding that the Russian military lacks a modern communications system and satellite navigation. "It would be more expedient to fit modern avionics to older generation jets."

The U.S. administration decided to quit buying the F-22 Raptor, the world's most expensive fighter jet at more than $140 million apiece, effectively capping its production at the 186 already ordered.

___

Associated Press Writer David Nowak contributed to this story.

Bantee
01-29-10, 20:29
Can someone inform me why Russia needs a stealth jet?

ForTehNguyen
01-29-10, 20:30
so when the rooskies are developing someting like this, Barry wants to cut F22 production :rolleyes:

Lobo103
01-29-10, 20:45

Same reason we need one....blowing sh-t up! Probably sh-t associated wth American interests and infrastructure. Not to mention selling them to their friends.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-29-10, 20:54
Russian officials have said the new fighter, like the Raptor, will have supersonic cruising speed and stealth capabilities. Its pilot, Sergei Bogdan, said in televised remarks that it was easy and pleasant to fly.

Me thinks an easy and pleasant plane to fly doesn't make a good fighter?

Cagemonkey
01-29-10, 20:54
It will be interesting to see if the Russians can afford to purchase many of these. The JSF seems to be progressing slowly and is exceeding budget. The F22 is expensive @ 140 mil each, but new models of legacy aircraft(F15,F16 and F18) aren't cheap either. Meanwhile our Strategists can't seem to decide if we need to be prepared for low intensity conflicts or conventional conflicts. The Air Force was so sure of getting its way with the F22 that it doesn't seem to have any real backup plan. The Navy went with the F18 Super Hornet knowing it needed to consolidate and simply its logistics in order to have an affordable yet marginally more advanced multi role fighter. The Air Forces F15 and F16 aircraft are getting near the end of their service lives. The Air Force is in need of not only advanced fighters, but also needs numbers.

Bantee
01-29-10, 20:58
Same reason we need one....blowing sh-t up! Probably sh-t associated wth American interests and infrastructure. Not to mention selling them to their friends.

And that is exactly where my thinking was headed. Of course if their new fighter jet program is online as fast as their I.C.B.M. capabilities, we should have a decade or two to counter their "super-jet".:rolleyes:

Pk14
01-30-10, 06:27
Me thinks an easy and pleasant plane to fly doesn't make a good fighter?

Actually, when 4th Gen fighters moved to digital flight controls and pilots became voting members in how control surfaces interacted to change flight path, the test pilot's comment simply means there was enough control authority, quick enough feedback loop in the DFCS, and the basic control laws were sorted out enough for the basic flying qualities perceived by the pilot to be easy.

I don't want to fight the airplane to get it to do what I need it to do at a critical point in the flight.

If your 911 Porsche or ZR-1 tracks straight with your hands off the wheel at 60 MPH and its ride is sorted out for the road surface, it could be considered easy and pleasant too. Doesn't make it a bad sports car.

Russians don't want to lose market share when the US is the only vendor out there with the really cool toys for future replacement fighter programs. Continue to evolve or loose the capacity to compete.

Cheers,
Pk

Mjolnir
01-30-10, 08:06
Take out a map of Europe and locate current NATO bases. Then there are the unresolved conflicts in Georgia, Azerbaijan and The Ukraine. Then refer to Obama's plan of using SM-3 missiles aboard ships in the Baltic Sea. That would be a good start. Reading Brzezinski would be another.

kwelz
01-30-10, 08:53
Right now there is a lull in major conflicts. No two big countries ready to go at it. This is unusual in history and I don't feel it will last. Sadly most people seem to think this means that the big wars are over and war has changed forever.. I think this is short sighted. And if we shift all R&D and production away from full scale weapons then we are going to be in a world of hurt some day soon.

wargasm
01-30-10, 11:28
Looks like they want to jump start the cold war. Drawing the lines in the sand again. Job security.

decodeddiesel
01-30-10, 11:48
Looks like they want to jump start the cold war. Drawing the lines in the sand again. Job security.

I don't get that at all. I think they have sought to re-invigorate an aerospace programs that has produced some of the most successful and cutting edge fighter aircraft during the 20th century. I cannot fault another country for seeking to develop it's military assets. Peace through superior firepower and all that.

The really interesting part here is that this thing was developed with in parallel with the Indians. Now I personally believe that the Indian economy is so incredibly tied in with the US's that they could never go to war with us, however this could be the start of a very powerful strategic relationship.

jwfuhrman
01-30-10, 12:00
closely resembles the Raptor...... can somebody say there is a spy in our ranks? Same way they got the Atom bomb, they stole it from us.....

grunz
01-30-10, 12:04
closely resembles the Raptor...... can somebody say there is a spy in our ranks? Same way they got the Atom bomb, they stole it from us.....

Its dramatically different from F22 - not a copy.

decodeddiesel
01-30-10, 12:17

:rolleyes:

Might want to loosen the tin foil hat, I think it's restricting the blood flow a little bit there buddy.

Outlander Systems
01-30-10, 12:21
Same way they got the Atom bomb, they stole it from us.....

You ready for tin-foil?

Look into where we got it from...

decodeddiesel
01-30-10, 12:25
You ready for tin-foil?

Look into where we got it from...

Same place the Russians got it from.

ETA: An excellent documentary on this subject is "Trinity and Beyond".

As far as the T-50 goes, to me it looks very much descended from the modern Sukhoi fighter aircraft. Aside from having 2 wings, 2 engines, and 2 vertical stabilizers I don't see any resemblance to an F-22.

variablebinary
01-30-10, 12:38

Who needs spies?

With "globalism" we are more than willing to sell our ass like a trunk stop whore on meth.

NinjaMedic
01-30-10, 14:09
It resembles an F-22 the same way an Su-27 resembles an F-15. It is a 5th Generation air superiority aircraft designed for the same role and with the same general configuration as its american counterpart.

mattjmcd
01-30-10, 17:37
It will be interesting to see if the Russians can afford to purchase many of these. The JSF seems to be progressing slowly and is exceeding budget. The F22 is expensive @ 140 mil each, but new models of legacy aircraft(F15,F16 and F18) aren't cheap either. Meanwhile our Strategists can't seem to decide if we need to be prepared for low intensity conflicts or conventional conflicts. The Air Force was so sure of getting its way with the F22 that it doesn't seem to have any real backup plan. The Navy went with the F18 Super Hornet knowing it needed to consolidate and simply its logistics in order to have an affordable yet marginally more advanced multi role fighter. The Air Forces F15 and F16 aircraft are getting near the end of their service lives. The Air Force is in need of not only advanced fighters, but also needs numbers.

I respectfully disagree. Sort of. I am NOT USAF, but I have heard nothing to suggest that the Air Force is unhappy with the shut down of the F-22 program. IIRC they plan to roll the airframes into composite formations consisting of recent-mod F-15C's and F-22's, with some select squadrons of F-22 only. The jet the Air Force is really banking on is the F-35. That's where they want to spend their money, IMO.

Marcus L.
01-30-10, 17:53
I respectfully disagree. Sort of. I am NOT USAF, but I have heard nothing to suggest that the Air Force is unhappy with the shut down of the F-22 program. IIRC they plan to roll the airframes into composite formations consisting of recent-mod F-15C's and F-22's, with some select squadrons of F-22 only. The jet the Air Force is really banking on is the F-35. That's where they want to spend their money, IMO.

+1

The F-22 is far too expensive to field in large enough numbers for the USAF's needs. The F-22 will have a place, but it will be in limited numbers for special operations where conventional aircraft would be inadequate. What the USAF needs is a good omni fighter design like the F-35. Cheaper to build, logistically easier to keep in the air, and easier to config for specific operations. Apparently the F-22 requires special field repair equipment and about double the personel to repair and keep it flying.

With regard to the Russian fighter. Didn't Russia start to really push forward with its arms development and territorial expansion during the first Obama administration(Carter)?

Ed L.
01-30-10, 19:06
By the time they are done with the cheaper F-35 it will be as expensive if not more so than the F-22. And all for a less capable aircraft.

The reason that the cost of the F-35 is being projected as less is because they are still projecting buying them in about twice the numbers that they will likley be bought in, hence a lower unit price.

They cancelled the F-22 when the F-35 was years away from being operational and before we knew what its true capabilities are. The damn plane has not even been certified with sidewinders.

People forget that the F-15s will need to be retired in the next decade due to use and wear, and that even now there are planes that are as good or better than the F-15 that could find their way into an enemy's hands and be opposing us at some future time, planes like the Sukois SU-27/35, the Eurofighter and French Rafael, and this new plane that the Russians are testing.

CarlosDJackal
01-30-10, 19:48

Easy, because we have one (or more). :D

Cagemonkey
01-30-10, 19:58
Can someone inform me why Russia needs a stealth jet?Because their potential adversary's have them. Also its another fighter that they can sell to the world market. Also having such military technology is good for national prestige. Russia has always been a xenophobic nation.

marh415
01-30-10, 20:32
I seen that on the news the other night, perfect timing considering the ass clown just canceled the Raptor program. I don't think conventional wars are out of the question anymore. I think the US better smarten up fast, two of our biggest potential threats are ever increasing their military strength, while we fight an unconventional war on two fronts and talk about cutting defense programs.

Cagemonkey
01-30-10, 20:58
I seen that on the news the other night, perfect timing considering the ass clown just canceled the Raptor program. I don't think conventional wars are out of the question anymore. I think the US better smarten up fast, two of our biggest potential threats are ever increasing their military strength, while we fight an unconventional war on two fronts and talk about cutting defense programs.
I agree. The US needs to rethink many of its strategic interests. Its about time for the EU to pay for its own security. Afghanistan is pretty much a lost cause. Fight Al Quida and try to stabilize Pakistan. Making a nation out of Afghanistan is like invading Russia. Its been done a couple of times and has never worked. Iraq has a reasonable chance of success if we don't pull the rug out from under them. Central and South America are either being bought off by Chavez or the Chinese. I think we need to consolidate and reassess our strategy.

Belmont31R
01-30-10, 22:43
By the time they are done with the cheaper F-35 it will be as expensive if not more so than the F-22. And all for a less capable aircraft.

The reason that the cost of the F-35 is being projected as less is because they are still projecting buying them in about twice the numbers that they will likley be bought in, hence a lower unit price.

They cancelled the F-22 when the F-35 was years away from being operational and before we knew what its true capabilities are. The damn plane has not even been certified with sidewinders.

People forget that the F-15s will need to be retired in the next decade due to use and wear, and that even now there are planes that are as good or better than the F-15 that could find their way into an enemy's hands and be opposing us at some future time, planes like the Sukois SU-27/35, the Eurofighter and French Rafael, and this new plane that the Russians are testing.

Yep the F15 is on the way out.

F35 is cheaper because of the numbers, and we are not the only ones buying into the program. UK is going to buy quite a few, and Im sure it will be exported.

We need enough F22's to replace what is being retired. They stopped the program in the most expensive part, and any future ones would be significantly cheaper than the first 100+ that we got. Parts would become cheaper, etc. If it requires more maintenance it requires more maintenance. Im sure people said the same thing when the 1st jets came out, and as they got more advanced....we either go with the future or let the world catch up or surpass us. Russia is sure not going to quit, and either is China.

justin_247
01-31-10, 03:34
I respectfully disagree. Sort of. I am NOT USAF, but I have heard nothing to suggest that the Air Force is unhappy with the shut down of the F-22 program.

Well, I am in the Air Force and, regardless as to whether one supports having more F-22s or not, I can tell you that the Air Force (at least the fighter mafia which runs the Air Force) was *livid* that the F-22 program got shut down. The Air Force cut a large number of personnel to continue funding the program and was not at all happy when it was shut down.

It was expensive because the government ultimately bought only 1/4 of the original number they were planning to buy.

IIRC they plan to roll the airframes into composite formations consisting of recent-mod F-15C's and F-22's, with some select squadrons of F-22 only. The jet the Air Force is really banking on is the F-35. That's where they want to spend their money, IMO.

The Air Force wants F-35s AND F-22s. As of now, the F-35 program is far too big to fail and the Air Force needs to get rid of the thousands of legacy fighters that it has now.

There will be no "composite" squadrons of F-22s and F-15s. The F-15C/D will eventually be completely retired, but F-15Es will continue to fly.

justin_247
01-31-10, 03:39
F35 is cheaper because of the numbers, and we are not the only ones buying into the program. UK is going to buy quite a few, and Im sure it will be exported.

USA, UK, Netherlands, Italy, Turkey, Australia, and Canada are definitely going to purchase F-35s, and Denmark, Israel, Norway, and Singapore will probably purchase them in a few years, as well. I've also heard that Taiwan, India, Brazil, Greece, Japan, Finland, and Spain are interested, too.

Im sure people said the same thing when the 1st jets came out, and as they got more advanced....we either go with the future or let the world catch up or surpass us. Russia is sure not going to quit, and either is China.

+1

Cagemonkey
01-31-10, 08:54
Well, I am in the Air Force and, regardless as to whether one supports having more F-22s or not, I can tell you that the Air Force (at least the fighter mafia which runs the Air Force) was *livid* that the F-22 program got shut down. The Air Force cut a large number of personnel to continue funding the program and was not at all happy when it was shut down.

It was expensive because the government ultimately bought only 1/4 of the original number they were planning to buy.

The Air Force wants F-35s AND F-22s. As of now, the F-35 program is far too big to fail and the Air Force needs to get rid of the thousands of legacy fighters that it has now.

There will be no
"composite" squadrons of F-22s and F-15s. The F-15C/D will eventually be completely retired, but F-15Es will continue to fly.
Makes sense since these are the oldest air frames. The F15E's are relatively new. What about the F16's? Are they going to use these as a lower cost alternative to fill the gap in numbers?

justin_247
01-31-10, 09:37
Makes sense since these are the oldest air frames. The F15E's are relatively new. What about the F16's? Are they going to use these as a lower cost alternative to fill the gap in numbers?

The F-16s will eventually be phased out and replaced by the F-35 once we have sufficient numbers. However, you'll still see F-16s flying around long after we've phased out the last F-15, simply because we have three times as many. There will be a "fighter gap" for about a decade or so, but there are no plans to fill it with purchases of F-16s.

It should be noted that we are continuing to fund F-16 upgrades until the F-35s become fully operational.

Racerx33
01-31-10, 10:25
Just wanted to give my few cents on a couple topics...I don't really want to debate with most of whats been said because it all is fairly accurate and very relevant let alone dragging this thread off topic talking about budget's and politics.
From an AF crew chiefs perspective. Its not so much about the weapon as it is about how its employed. I've been on more than a few trips down to Edwards specifically to the Muroc test range as well as to a fair share of Red Flags at Nellis. The amount of thought and practice that goes into employment of the current fighters, bombers and Reconnaissance aircraft is huge. Also the development of weapons, detection and counter measures of all kinds. Just like guns its not about how many or how tacti-cool its about training and employment. There's a lot of other things I could hit on to try and ease minds about how big AF and the military minds are working to stay ahead of the power curve and give us air superiority in any nation we go to but I don't want to tread in the gray OPSEC area.

One more thing anyone can claim to have stealth. Especially governments looking to climb back on to the global power table. We've got a local surplus store that sells radar reflective blankets so I guess he could claim to have stealth. The products on the 22 and 35 that lend them to being "stealth" are a hell of a lot more than just the angles and designs.

However, if anyone is interested in seeing us get new fighters or possibly a new tanker to give fighters gas please write your local congressman/woman on a bi-weekly basis. ;)

Phazuka
01-31-10, 13:07
It has alot of features the F22 or F35 lack....X-band radar, L-band rear facing radar in the leading edges, and IRST. It also has a nice set of weapons to compliment it.

Mjolnir
01-31-10, 13:19
It has alot of features the F22 or F35 lack... X-band radar, L-band rear facing radar in the leading edges, and IRST. It also has a nice set of weapons to compliment it.
I noticed this, too.

justin_247
01-31-10, 17:43
It has alot of features the F22 or F35 lack....X-band radar, L-band rear facing radar in the leading edges, and IRST. It also has a nice set of weapons to compliment it.

The F-35 has IRST and the F-22 will soon receive an upgrade that will give it that capability. How the X-band and L-band radar on it competes with the AESA radar of the F-22 and F-35 is up for discussion, but I seriously doubt it's superior to what we're fielding now. Export considerations appear to have been key in the design of this aircraft, so they sacrificed a lot to keep costs down.

As for weapons, I don't really see anything mind-blowing.

Spooky130
01-31-10, 18:21
There is a lot to the F-22 and F-35 deals. Remember the AF developed the F-22 with the Cold War in mind with the thought of replacing the F-15 on a 1:1 basis. Right now the number of F-22s will not come anywhere near to replacing the F-15 in that ratio.

The AF stopped the buy at 180ish airframes. And Gates was as bigger player in that than Obama ever was. Gates actually sacked the sitting AF Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the AF because they were huge proponents of the program. Gates wanted more ISR and honestly, I don't blame him because that is very important in OIF/OEF. I think Gates really wants to ensure everything is done to win in Iraq and Afghanistan but I also think he is somewhat short sighted when it comes to future military development.

The F-15 was developed in the late 60s and early 70s and all but the E models were built by about the early to mid 80s. It has reigned supreme for all that time and is now starting to be eclipsed by a new generation of foreign fighters. The F-22 would likely take the title from the F-15 and be the most capable fighter in the world for the next 30 years if bought in large enough numbers....

Spooky

kmrtnsn
01-31-10, 20:22
I forsee the F-18E/F/G Super Hornet becoming a multi-service platform.

marh415
02-01-10, 08:23
If I heard correctly this morning on Fox, the JSF has now been canceled also.
Go Barry... you ****ing dumbass!!!

BiggLee71
02-01-10, 09:37
If I heard correctly this morning on Fox, the JSF has now been canceled also.
Go Barry... you ****ing dumbass!!!

Not quite that bad. An engine upgrade program for the F-35 has been cancelled. What has me puzzled is the same report stated that the C-17 program is being shit canned. Anyone hear anything about that?? What would replace it?? Would they just keep fielding current platforms??

GermanSynergy
02-01-10, 10:36

Russia must not have gotten the memo that we love everyone now. :D

Seriously, I'd imagine they're modernizing their forces, and are probably going to export this plane as well if the foreign sales are there. Just my 2 kopecks.

marh415
02-01-10, 10:42
Not quite that bad. An engine upgrade program for the F-35 has been cancelled. What has me puzzled is the same report stated that the C-17 program is being shit canned. Anyone hear anything about that?? What would replace it?? Would they just keep fielding current platforms??

Thats good, I haven't found anything online to back that up anyway. I obviously heard that wrong this morning.

TY44934
02-01-10, 15:18
We get "RT" or Russian tv news in English at home. They are reporting about this thing. they emphsized 2 benefits this plane supposedly has

1) Longer range @ supersonic speeds than US/western plane. OK - even if so, don't we have aircraft carriers to counteract that supposed benefit? Besides, we generally have good airborne tanker support; not sure if Russia does. and,

2) Expected export sales to India of something like 200 planes. I would imagine this new stealth plane could be quite effective against Pakistan's air defenses & maybe even worry India's rivals, the Chinese.

So - even if it does not overcome or match western planes, this new Russian plane could be VERY effective at raising lots of money for the Russian defense industry.

justin_247
02-02-10, 03:09

This is all related to recommendations from the QDR.

It was an entirely separate engine that the DOD has been trying to cancel for years. The Pratt & Whitney F135 is the engine currently slated for use with the JSF, however in order to create some competition on the matter the DOD funded the General Electric F136, as well. The F135 is performing to expectations and, being that the Air Force is desperate for money to modernize the fleet, the DOD is trying to cancel all funding to the F136. Congress, however, keeps putting money into the program.

The F-35 will not be cancelled.

The DOD has been trying to end the C-17 program for years, as well, but Congress keeps purchasing more. I oppose this move, but the DOD supports a cancellation. Again, like the F136, we'll have to wait and see what Congress says about it first.

There are no plans for a replacement for the C-17. The only other plan is to modernize the C-5A to C-5M specifications. While this has made the C-5B much more reliable, I don't know how much more reliable it would make the C-5A, since it's much older and has many more problems.

Ultimately, all of this is only scratching the surface of all of the issues that exist in the military right now. It's unfortunate that people don't realize what dire straits we're in and that they've become so focused on just these few programs.

justin_247
02-02-10, 03:21
We get "RT" or Russian tv news in English at home. They are reporting about this thing. they emphsized 2 benefits this plane supposedly has

1) Longer range @ supersonic speeds than US/western plane. OK - even if so, don't we have aircraft carriers to counteract that supposed benefit? Besides, we generally have good airborne tanker support; not sure if Russia does. and,

2) Expected export sales to India of something like 200 planes. I would imagine this new stealth plane could be quite effective against Pakistan's air defenses & maybe even worry India's rivals, the Chinese.

So - even if it does not overcome or match western planes, this new Russian plane could be VERY effective at raising lots of money for the Russian defense industry.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has a longer range. It's a bigger plane and can carry more fuel, so it better! NATO countries, however, tend to be very good at air refueling and will fly much longer missions than their counterparts, and thus have a much more robust air refueling capability.

It's definitely aimed at export sales. The support from India dates back to when they were still skeptical of the United States due to our alliance with Pakistan and were leaders in the Non-Aligned Movement (which was still notionally pro-Soviet). Nowadays they are on much better terms with us and, if Obama doesn't screw it up, are growing closer to use every day. I'm sure they will purchase some of these fighters, but they are very unhappy with the maintenance issues from their last major purchase, the SU-30MKI, despite the fact that they're still slated to buy more. It looks like their next major purchase will be a Western fighter.

I'm sure China has something waiting in the wings. Their aerospace industry is very developed now and are no longer dependent of the Russians. If they can get their foot into the commercial world, chances are high they will become a major exporter of military aircraft, as well. Maybe even more so than the Russians.

BiggLee71
02-02-10, 06:40
Justin, it was my understanding that one of the C-17's strong suits was the capability to operate off of shorter runways. If thats true, would the C-5 platform be un-suitable for short take off/ landings? Is that more of an area where the C-130 would be employed??

Guys, India getting this fighter wouldn't be a bad thing. With Pakistan being weakened, we need a country in that part of the world thats somewhat friendly to us. Maybe they would even "lend" us said fighter to T&E :D.

justin_247
02-02-10, 07:26
Justin, it was my understanding that one of the C-17's strong suits was the capability to operate off of shorter runways. If thats true, would the C-5 platform be un-suitable for short take off/ landings? Is that more of an area where the C-130 would be employed??

Guys, India getting this fighter wouldn't be a bad thing. With Pakistan being weakened, we need a country in that part of the world thats somewhat friendly to us. Maybe they would even "lend" us said fighter to T&E :D.

Short takeoffs and landings is indeed a capability that the C-17 provides, however with that capability comes costs. In this case, it can only carry half as many pallets as a C-5. When this is thought of in the context of the Army's Mobility Requirements Study (one brigade anywhere in the world in 96 hrs, a division within 120 hrs, and five divisions within 30 days), this is absolutely vital.

The Army has continually, year after year, advocated that money be spent on C-5 upgrade programs for just that reason.

The C-130 is a completely different beast. It provides tactical and theater airlift, as opposed to the strategic airlift provided by the C-17 and C-5. And it should be noted that there are forces attempting to defund the C-130 AMP upgrade program. Fortunately, Congress is continuing to fund purchases of C-130Js, HC-130Js, and MC-130Js. Hopefully, they'll continue to push these even if these forces prevail so that we can get rid of all the old C-130Es, C-130H1s, and C-130H1.5s.

As far as the tactical airlift front is concerned, purchases of the C-27J are continuing, and I hope they increase the number currently programmed. This will probably happen once AFSOC finishes resetting their C-130 fleet.