PDA

View Full Version : Does Daniel Defense Anodize In-House?

Dunderway
01-30-10, 01:29
This may have been brought up before, but I couldn't find it. I know they offer some rails in FDE, and I heard that they make Spike's FDE receivers.

If this is true, I think that DD should start offering some or even all of their rifles in FDE. I think that it would set them apart from the competition. It would be functional to "real world users", cool to normal users like me, and probably turn the "should I buy a DD, BCM, or Colt" purchasers over the edge.

If they can do it all in house (their RISs don't seem to cost more in FDE) I would love to buy a new DDM4-middie with every AL part anodized in FDE. Some people might call me lame, or say "just paint it", but I bet if It was the same price my detractors would purchase the FDE version. I really expected to see these at SHOT. My crystal ball must need new batteries.

DD please take note, or Grant try to order up some G&R special edition FDE DDs:cool:

JFPATCH
01-30-10, 18:30
With the advent of the SCAR and the ACR being available in colors other than target indicator black, it would be nice to see some production, top tier, FDE anodized AR's for sale.

bkb0000
01-30-10, 18:45
receivers are rarely avail in colored anodized because you have to leave the anodize pretty thin to dye it. hard type II anodize isn't even really dye-able- the finished product is black, and black is pretty hard to dye.

i suspect this is why the first DD attempts at FDE anodize were so dark, almost black.

eternal24k
01-30-10, 21:04
I have both spikes and DD dark earth anodized, I do not think DD anodizes for Spikes. I would ask Spikes where they get it done, or check US Anodizing

Dunderway
02-02-10, 20:26
receivers are rarely avail in colored anodized because you have to leave the anodize pretty thin to dye it. hard type II anodize isn't even really dye-able- the finished product is black, and black is pretty hard to dye.

i suspect this is why the first DD attempts at FDE anodize were so dark, almost black.

Thanks, I wasn't really sure how the process worked. DD seems to have gotten pretty good at it. The first rails that I saw were really dark, as you stated, but the recent ones are are almost tan. I thought that I had read that their NSN rails were in FDE, which would lead me to assume that they are mil-spec (don't know if it's II or II) anodizing.

Dunderway
02-02-10, 21:00
I have both spikes and DD dark earth anodized, I do not think DD anodizes for Spikes. I would ask Spikes where they get it done, or check US Anodizing

Thanks. I wouldn't pay to have it custom, but thought it would be a cool option that DD seems to be capable of Handling. IMHO it could be the kind of thing that puts the DD/BCM/LMT/Colt fence-sitters over to DD.

orionz06
02-02-10, 21:14
I was under the impression that the mil type anodizing was not color limited. The colors achieved are tricky, but I didn't think limited to black only. The place it was done might have issues with obtaining the colors, but they should be able to make them any color you want.

Here is a company I used (indirectly) in the past for a CNC machine, and they did red, green, yellow, and blue to one of the mil specs (cant recall which particular spec).

http://www.fortwayneanodizing.com/hardcoat/index.htm

I would suggest talking with the company to see what color they can get. I do know that there is no 100% match. Your best attempt would be to obtain an bare lower, upper, and rail to have them batched together.