PDA

View Full Version : COLT M4 .22LR

buell37
01-30-10, 09:55
How about some feed back on the COLT M4 .22LR in comperison to thr GSG-5 . Thinking about buying a .22lr either the GSG-5 or COLT M4 .22lr

FVC3
01-30-10, 11:45
How about some feed back on the COLT M4 .22LR in comperison to thr GSG-5 . Thinking about buying a .22lr either the GSG-5 or COLT M4 .22lr

If you have any thoughts of using the 22 as an AR trainer for cheap practice, I'd look hard at the S&W M&P 22. I didn't care for the Umarex/Colt. Bought 2 Smiths, though.

kwelz
01-30-10, 14:11
They are not even worth considering. Look at the S&W option or even better a dedicated spikes upper.

organdonor
01-30-10, 14:36
They are not even worth considering. Look at the S&W option or even better a dedicated spikes upper.or even better save $350 and buy a ruger 10/22.

seriously, unless you're dead set on a tactical-type .22(which it seems you are), just buy a 10/22
also, i've read about feed problems with the gsg

jhs1969
01-30-10, 14:52
I've recently read 3 write ups on the S&W 22 and one on the Colt 22 (SWAT mag). The basic conclusions were the S&W were gtg and the Colt 22 was a no go. The Colt 22 also did not function as a true M4 would. The safety had to rotate 180 degrees (as compared to 90) and the bolt release was non-functional. I don't know what your use for it would be but if I get one it will be for low cost carbine training and therefore I am eyeing the S&W. I'm sure some more experinced folks will be along and can give better advice.

warpigM-4
01-30-10, 15:58
the 22lr "Colt M4" made By Walther(Not Colt) are not worth the trouble I have read a ton of dealers are taking a loss on these weapons as they are prone to be unreliable .

C4IGrant
01-30-10, 16:30

The M4's 100% suck and the GSG-5's will most likely suck as well.

Find an older made GSG-5 and stick with the S&W 15-22 for an AR style.

C4

C4IGrant
01-30-10, 16:34
I have the m4 Colt\Walther and have shot over 5000 rounds of mixed brands and love the thing!!!!! Very tite groups no big deal to clean just dont shove the barrel all the way into the chamber or you will get a crash course on braking it down 100% to reinstall the bolt hold open spring. Picked it over the S&W(toy like feel) and have not looked back. I have a 10-22 and a Browning buckmark carbine already and they dont come out much anymore. The 22LR upper seems pricey and the conversion makes no sense to me because my barrels are 1-7 & 1-9 twist. I have notice alot of shit talkers about this gun on the net but have never seen a used one show up at any of the gun stores or shows so they could be just HATERS and dont even own one. MY .02

Buy a lottery ticket.

The reason why you don't see the Colt's on the used gun racks is because they either broke, went back to the factory or are sitting at the dealers (in the scrap pile).

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/11/20/colt-umarex-ar-15-22lr-gunbroker-saga/

C4

buell37
01-30-10, 16:39
Yeah , I'm a Colt fan from way back and will buy the Colt .22lr for that reason. Someday it will be collectable ? . It would be nice if its dependable also. In the AR family the COLT M4 (6920 or 6400c after you replace the Political parts, with genuine Colt parts) is my choice . Anything else is an M4rgry doesnt matter if the quality is just as good or even better when it comes to resale time

DocHolliday01
01-30-10, 16:54
I have the m4 Colt\Walther and have shot over 5000 rounds of mixed brands and love the thing!!!!! Very tite groups no big deal to clean just dont shove the barrel all the way into the chamber or you will get a crash course on braking it down 100% to reinstall the bolt hold open spring. Picked it over the S&W(toy like feel) and have not looked back. I have a 10-22 and a Browning buckmark carbine already and they dont come out much anymore. The 22LR upper seems pricey and the conversion makes no sense to me because my barrels are 1-7 & 1-9 twist. I have notice alot of shit talkers about this gun on the net but have never seen a used one show up at any of the gun stores or shows so they could be just HATERS and dont even own one. MY .02

Somehow I don't think its just HATERS saying they suck.:rolleyes: Most llikely people who bought them, were probably also mislead into believing they were "Colts" and were pissed to find out first hand they are garbage. it me all of about 1 minute of messing with one to realize they were probably shit.

DocHolliday01
01-30-10, 16:54
Yeah , I'm a Colt fan from way back and will buy the Colt .22lr for that reason. Someday it will be collectable ? . It would be nice if its dependable also. In the AR family the COLT M4 (6920 or 6400c after you replace the Political parts, with genuine Colt parts) is my choice . Anything else is an M4rgry doesnt matter if the quality is just as good or even better when it comes to resale time

Are you saying other quality guns don't hold their value or their collectibility? Most people wouldn't/don't buy a .22 because its collectible.

organdonor
01-30-10, 17:30
Yeah , I'm a Colt fan from way back and will buy the Colt .22lr for that reason. Someday it will be collectable ? . It would be nice if its dependable also. In the AR family the COLT M4 (6920 or 6400c after you replace the Political parts, with genuine Colt parts) is my choice . Anything else is an M4rgry doesnt matter if the quality is just as good or even better when it comes to resale timefacepalm

C4IGrant
01-30-10, 17:43

You do realize that Colt nothing to do this gun right?

So the thought that it will turn into a collectors item is a fairy tale.

C4

buell37
01-30-10, 18:35
Yes I relize that Colt didnt actually build it. The Colt logo is on it, along with the M4 roll mark and that is enough when it comes to collecting Colt Material.
In 15-20 yrs all the others wont be worth squat except the one with the colt logo

organdonor
01-30-10, 19:08
Yes I relize that Colt didnt actually build it. The Colt logo is on it, along with the M4 roll mark and that is enough when it comes to collecting Colt Material.
In 15-20 yrs all the others wont be worth squat except the one with the colt logoclearly your mind was already made up when you created this thread.

C4IGrant
01-30-10, 19:16
In 15-20 yrs all the others wont be worth squat except the one with the colt logo

Collectors also value guns that actually run.

That leaves this gun out.

C4

Sk0t24
01-30-10, 19:26

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/127739/kool%20aid%20man.png

buell37
01-30-10, 19:43
clearly your mind was already made up when you created this thread.

Yeah , I do like the gun, I didn't know it had issues, until I posted the thread and that was the point.
Here is an example of quality VS collect-ability like the SP1
Now we all know the early Colt AR15/ SP1 is a piece of scrap metal and you could pick them up for a little of nothing in the day ( compared to today's quality & Value). Now the earlier the serial # the more desirable the rifle and you will pay a premium price for an unreliable piece of ART.

marh415
01-30-10, 20:02
There was a guy on Gun Broker not long ago selling them with plunger heads on them, he said the only thing they were good for was cleaning toilets... lmao!!! :D

buell37
01-30-10, 20:11
There was a guy on Gun Broker not long ago selling them with plunger heads on them, he said the only thing they were good for was cleaning toilets... lmao!!! :D

Yeah , someone sent me a link like that a couple of hours ago . Very funny

FVC3
01-31-10, 09:12
facepalm

Yup. You can't save some people from themselves. . I like Colts just fine - but damned if I'll buy a known third-rate POS just cause it has a pony on it. That's high-order jackassery. No Koolaid for me, thanks.

buell37
01-31-10, 09:21
Yup. You can't save some people from themselves. . I like Colts just fine - but damned if I'll buy a known third-rate POS just cause it has a pony on it. That's high-order jackassery. No Koolaid for me, thanks.

I try not to say negative things about people I dont know. Now,as far as the rifle goes , seems like all the negative feed back is coming from here ? I Have talk to three people that own them and like them just fine. Now mind you they (all 3) use them for plinkers . Maybe , they dont hold up as well as a tactical or training weapons

kwelz
01-31-10, 09:25
Check TOS, check THR.org/.us people have been complaining about them everywhere. Hell my local gun shop has some setting on the shelf and advises people against buying them.

They are junk. Made to lower quality than most air soft guns. Sure you will find a couple people that like theirs. But I have also seen people who like Hesse.

C4IGrant
01-31-10, 14:51
I try not to say negative things about people I dont know. Now,as far as the rifle goes , seems like all the negative feed back is coming from here ? I Have talk to three people that own them and like them just fine. Now mind you they (all 3) use them for plinkers . Maybe , they dont hold up as well as a tactical or training weapons

You will tend to get more feedback from folks on this forum as they tend to be better educated than on other forums.

In this instance though, there is negative feedback everywhere.

Let's say that the Colt M4 clones ran 100%. My issue with them still would be that the control's are not the same as a real AR and I cannot use standard GI parts in it (like I can with the S&W 15-22).

So no matter how you slice it (realism or reliability), the S&W 15-22 wins.

C4

N4FAN
01-31-10, 15:25
I own a GSG. I had to replace the aluminum phillips screws that holds the clamshell receiver together with stainless hex screws. I also had to replace all of the ones in the bolt carrier. You don't need to do this but I don't like aluminum screws with phillips heads.:rolleyes: Plus the original screws are known to loosen and the bolt is known to split. The rifle stock is cheap and airsoftish. The gun just feel cheap when you hold it. I blew $450 on it. I wish I had bought a EOTECH instead!

I have never had a failure to feed with the rifle however and I have shot about 2000 rounds through it. I know it is hard to believe, but no failure to feeds. I did have a few duds but they went into the chamber clean.

As for the "colt" .22 lr. I would pass on that myself. I would rather have a Ruger instead. If you want a tactical rifle buy a tactical rifle. If you want to experiment like I did, DON'T.

Take a look at the AK .22 lr GSG came out with. First, you better make sure you have a barf bag next tto you because it is GAY looking!

FVC3
01-31-10, 15:27

Buell37, my remark was directed at the behavior not at the individual. Namely, buying well-known crap gear because of the rollmark.
The negative feedback on the "Colt" 22 is coming from everywhere, not just here. 3 people liking them just fine as plinkers doesn't mean squat, except that 3 people are:

A. Lucky
B. Easily satisfied.
C. Inexperienced.
D. Unwilling to admit they got hosed.
E. All of the above.

buell37
01-31-10, 17:44
Buell37, my remark was directed at the behavior not at the individual. Namely, buying well-known crap gear because of the rollmark.
The negative feedback on the "Colt" 22 is coming from everywhere, not just here. 3 people liking them just fine as plinkers doesn't mean squat, except that 3 people are:

A. Lucky
B. Easily satisfied.
C. Inexperienced.
D. Unwilling to admit they got hosed.
E. All of the above.

The thing I like most about this site is, if you want to talk trash you can ,without getting your account locked and thats a good thing (freedom of speach or thread). If we were on that other site (__15.com). We would have been censored , locked , banned and judged by now.
Jackassary ? Yeah, maybe a little of that on my part. Here is the thing about this rifle. The market will determin the value of it one day (doesnt matter about quality or reliability) People will buy this rifle for the roll marks alone , it happens with all things with the Colt Logo . Example- A few years back, I bought 4 plastic bayonets (1 to 1 Scale)looked like the real thing and worked like the real thing, with the colt logo on them . I gave $1.00 each, they sold on ebay for about $30.00 each Sold as Colt Logo Plastic bayonets .Those jackasses determin the market

buell37
01-31-10, 20:13
This is a Colt Airsoft M4 with all the proper markings , breakdown as the real thing. I impoted it from S. Korea . I have the only 2 I've ever seen
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar002.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar001.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar004.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar005.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar006.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/buell37/toystar007.jpg

FVC3
02-01-10, 06:32
The thing I like most about this site is, if you want to talk trash you can ,without getting your account locked and thats a good thing (freedom of speach or thread). If we were on that other site (__15.com). We would have been censored , locked , banned and judged by now.
Jackassary ? Yeah, maybe a little of that on my part. Here is the thing about this rifle. The market will determin the value of it one day (doesnt matter about quality or reliability) People will buy this rifle for the roll marks alone , it happens with all things with the Colt Logo . Example- A few years back, I bought 4 plastic bayonets (1 to 1 Scale)looked like the real thing and worked like the real thing, with the colt logo on them . I gave $1.00 each, they sold on ebay for about $30.00 each Sold as Colt Logo Plastic bayonets .Those jackasses determin the market

It's not trash talk to call a spade a spade. You asked for opinions / feedback on the Colt/ Umarex 22LR M4. You got it - all enlightened, educated opinion, and all negative.

You seem to be changing course as you go in this thread. If you have faith in your theory that nothing matters but the roll mark, why be concerned with our opinion, or that of the "3 people" you mentioned. Also, if buying for resale/collector's value, function should not matter to you (a good thing in this particular case) as unfired condition will bring far and away the highest return.

M4arc
02-01-10, 07:12
I think this thread has run its course. buell37 is determined to buy one even after he's learned they have major issues and aren't actually built buy Colt. Not much else we can do here boys.