PDA

View Full Version : Eagle industries discreet carry DC-CAR-15 vs. LE version

rocket
01-30-10, 13:04
I've decided on the Eagle discreet carry after further review. I like that the non LE version has the feature to hold the rifle down with the velcro straps. But I've searced the web for images of the outside cargo pocket and can't find any. With that said, for the non LE version, does the outside pocket have the same features (four mag pouches and additional webbing) like the LE?

msr
01-30-10, 19:25
I looked at one that was presented as the non LE model last weekend and it only had the magazine pockets in the main compartment. The outside compartment was clean inside.

rocket
01-30-10, 19:49
I looked at one that was presented as the non LE model last weekend and it only had the magazine pockets in the main compartment. The outside compartment was clean inside.

Thanks. Good to know.

pazzo
01-30-10, 21:01
The LE model has the mag pouches in the outside pocket (as opposed to being inside the main compartment with the gun), as well as a velcro patch on the outside of the front part of the bag. The pocket on the front of the non-LE model has no mag pouches in it. I went with the LE version ;)

Tango2249
02-02-10, 09:54
I've decided on the Eagle discreet carry after further review. I like that the non LE version has the feature to hold the rifle down with the velcro straps. But I've searced the web for images of the outside cargo pocket and can't find any. With that said, for the non LE version, does the outside pocket have the same features (four mag pouches and additional webbing) like the LE?

I'm also looking at purchasing another Eagle case. It doesn't state or show in their pics that the weapon can be secured by straps inside the case. Can someone show me a 29" Eagle case that has straps to secure the rifle? Any help would be appreciated.

rocket
02-02-10, 18:03
I'm also looking at purchasing another Eagle case. It doesn't state or show in their pics that the weapon can be secured by straps inside the case. Can someone show me a 29" Eagle case that has straps to secure the rifle? Any help would be appreciated.

There's no straps to secure the weapon in the LE version. Here's a decent review of the LE...though this particular model is a couple years old, I believe it's very similar. The only difference this review states, is the mag pouches. The standard discreet case has the straps though. Hope that helps. I'm going to try to post the link, if it doesn't work, just google "eagle discreet rifle case" and there's a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vo7o5rCCBI

pazzo
02-02-10, 19:03
I received my Discreet Case (CAR-15) LE yesterday and am not terribly pleased with it.

Like the website says, there is no way to secure my rifle down!? Sure, this may help with ease of access but it should at the very least be an option to have straps utilizing a MOLLE webbing or something.

It is NOT made in the USA. It was made in some 3rd world country (can't remember which one cause I ripped the tag out due to embarrassment). Yes, this is a big deal to me, sorry.

I have another 36" soft case made by Condor Tactical which is, IMO, better quality and has thicker foam. The Eagle has 3/8" foam padding whereas the Condor has 3/4" foam :eek:
That's almost twice as thick :rolleyes:

Overall, I'm disappointed with the Eagle soft case. Not to mention it was significantly more expensive than the (obviously) cheaper Condor.

rocket
02-02-10, 19:47
I received my Discreet Case (CAR-15) LE yesterday and am not terribly pleased with it.

Like the website says, there is no way to secure my rifle down!? Sure, this may help with ease of access but it should at the very least be an option to have straps utilizing a MOLLE webbing or something.

It is NOT made in the USA. It was made in some 3rd world country (can't remember which one cause I ripped the tag out due to embarrassment). Yes, this is a big deal to me, sorry.

I have another 36" soft case made by Condor Tactical which is, IMO, better quality and has thicker foam. The Eagle has 3/8" foam padding whereas the Condor has 3/4" foam :eek:

Overall, I'm disappointed with the Eagle soft case. Not to mention it was significantly more expensive than the (obviously) cheaper Condor.

Say it ain't so!!:eek: I just ordered mine today! I'm with you about made in the USA...I specifically decided to go with the Eagle instead of Blackhawk for that very reason. I even sacrificed the straps to secure the weapon...Blackhawk's discreet bag (made in Vietnam) comes with the straps...and I can get it for $50.00 less!! For me, I'd rather shell out another $50.00 to keep it local. Hmmm...not cool!!:mad:

msr
02-02-10, 21:55
Oddly enough the non LE version is listed as Made in America!

RSS1911
02-02-10, 22:54
That is seriously disappointing. I have purchased other Eagle products specifically because they were US made. I thought all their products were.

pazzo
02-02-10, 23:21
Here's a few quick pics I too just now to give you an idea of what I am talking about.
Sorry but I used my XCR for the shots :p

As you can see here, the foam border which is supposed to be upright, is permanently crushed and absolutely useless. When the case is closed there is no protection from the sides :mad:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/IMG_5215.jpg

Here I am supporting the foam with my hand - the way it should be.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/IMG_5216.jpg

The front pocket is so large it overhangs the main compartment and looks ridiculous. The picture doesn't do justice.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/IMG_5217.jpg

I think I'll email Eagle tomorrow and see what they can do. These things and the other things really make me mad :mad:

pazzo
02-02-10, 23:27
Sorry to change the topic a bit, but can someone here identify this case which belongs to someone here? The MOLLE on the inside is ingenious:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/awesomecase2.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/awesomecase1.jpg

jcase64
02-02-10, 23:33
I believe the LE line is made OCONUS whereas the regular line is made in the US.

msr
02-02-10, 23:34
Pazzo, The one I looked at had sides that would not stand up either.

pazzo
02-02-10, 23:36
I'm emailing them about this issue right now. What a PISS OFF. I live in Canada and dealing with this shipping crap takes FOREVER.

pazzo
02-03-10, 00:20
I am most likely going to order the Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case in the 32" model. It looks perfect, and has straps to secure my weapon. Simple but nice.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/TacticalTailorCovertCarryCase1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/TacticalTailorCovertCarryCase2.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/TacticalTailorCovertCarryCase3.jpg

RWK
02-03-10, 08:10

Say it ain't so!!:eek: I just ordered mine today! I'm with you about made in the USA...I specifically decided to go with the Eagle instead of Blackhawk for that very reason.

Oddly enough the non LE version is listed as Made in America!

That is seriously disappointing. I have purchased other Eagle products specifically because they were US made. I thought all their products were.

I believe the LE line is made OCONUS whereas the regular line is made in the US.

Eagle moved some of their production to the Dominican Republic.

pazzo
02-03-10, 10:01
And it shows...

gop1
02-03-10, 10:14
Sorry to change the topic a bit, but can someone here identify this case which belongs to someone here? The MOLLE on the inside is ingenious:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/awesomecase2.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/awesomecase1.jpg

Looks like the I-shot bag - http://www.ishot-inc.com/store/Tactical_CarbineRifle_Case_36

rocket
02-03-10, 10:25
I tried to call SKD Tac this morning and cancel my order. I'm extremely disappointed with this revelation. Unfortunately...SKD emailed me to notify shipment two mins after I got their voice mail. Kudos to SKD for prompt shipment. :) As for Eagle Ind., I feel a little deceived. I guess I can only hope for new old stock and get an American made product.

ST911
02-03-10, 10:51
I have and use several EI discreet and the LE discreet cases. I recommend them.

The differences are noted by others. Mag pouch placement, velcro on the outside, ~2" in length, interior strap.

Eagle outsourced some production to the DR 2-3 years ago or so. There is a post in here somewhere from Ben Lennett about that, with assurances that it would still be the same EI quality we've known. I believe it was mostly their LE line that was sewn overseas. Since then, I've gotten several pieces, and I couldn't tell the difference between the US and DR made. I prefer American made, but if the quality is the same, otherwise isn't unacceptable.

I don't find the interior straps to be a big deal. Buy the case the fits the gun you'll be putting it in, +/- an inch or two. The DC fits a standard stock 16" carbine well. Even snugly. The LE offers a bit extra for longer aftermarket flash hiders or stocks. With a mag inserted, there is little movement of the gun.

The crushed edges of the padding within the case isn't abnormal. Roll them back up. It's foam padding that rolls over within a cordura tube, and it can become misaligned. Even when it lays over, the gun is still within the borders and is protected.

Many bunches of guns bounce around in trunks in these cases, unstrapped and with the padding rolled, but still come out undamaged.

The outside pocket thought to be unsightly is actually a very nice size to carry a loaded chest rig, sneaky bag, camelbak, or various support items. From what I know of EI, appearance isn't much of a design consideration, function is.

There was mention of the TT case. I've had some of those, too, and can also recommend them. They have some of the same issues, though, such as the oversized pocket, and interior edge padding that can roll over.

To evaluate your case, stick your gun in it and then kick it down the stairs a few times. Then drag it behind your car for a distance. Then stick it in the trunk for a few months and bounce it around. Open and close the zippers a few hundred times. Fill it up and stress the zippers. If your gun is still in good shape, your case is doing it's job, and the issues posted above will go unnoticed.

pazzo
02-03-10, 11:08
At least you are happy with your case(s) ;)

As for mine...I'm selling it (if Eagle doesn't ask for it back). I just ordered this case a few mins ago: http://www.ishot-inc.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
Hopefully it will be as good as they make it out to be.

If anybody wants and Eagle 35" LE bag, you can buy mine :p

Tango2249
02-03-10, 12:54
There's no straps to secure the weapon in the LE version. Here's a decent review of the LE...though this particular model is a couple years old, I believe it's very similar. The only difference this review states, is the mag pouches. The standard discreet case has the straps though. Hope that helps. I'm going to try to post the link, if it doesn't work, just google "eagle discreet rifle case" and there's a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vo7o5rCCBI

I spoke with Eagle and they informed me that none of their discreet cases come with internal straps.

ST911
02-03-10, 15:33
I spoke with Eagle and they informed me that none of their discreet cases come with internal straps.

Every DC-CAR-15 case I own and have seen had the two internal straps. They are also pictured on the website, pic# 5: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=358&cat=67&page=1

I recall, but cannot verify right now, that the same was true of the DC-M16/AR15.

Must be a recent change.

rocket
02-03-10, 18:52
There is a post in here somewhere from Ben Lennett about that, with assurances that it would still be the same EI quality we've known. I believe it was mostly their LE line that was sewn overseas. Since then, I've gotten several pieces, and I couldn't tell the difference between the US and DR made. I prefer American made, but if the quality is the same, otherwise isn't unacceptable.

The crushed edges of the padding within the case isn't abnormal. Roll them back up. It's foam padding that rolls over within a cordura tube, and it can become misaligned. Even when it lays over, the gun is still within the borders and is protected.

This is encouraging to hear...I'll post my evaluation when my case comes in, though still a little agitated with Eagle outsourcing their product.

pazzo
02-03-10, 20:02
I have tried to fix the flattened protectors inside the case. It is not due to twisted foam, but rather the way it has been stitched. It is tough to explain in writing, but the stitching on one side has an overlap bias and is pushing the protector thing down (shown in my pics above). In this case, if the stitching were the same on the top AND bottom, it would work together and push the foam upright - kind of like a fence which is falling down but has two support poles on either side to hold it up (and in turn preventing it from falling the other way).
If you don't understand I'll post pics.

I went to look at the Tactical Tailor 32" Covert Carry Case today in hopes that it would be a little better than the Eagle one. The inside is nice because of those two velcro weapon straps, but the outside pocket is flimsy and any loose items would bounce around like crazy. The Eagle case has a nice padded front pocket, which would protect items kept in there (a nice benefit, really).

So I've ordered that SERT Systems 36" soft case from i-SHOT, and will hang onto my Eagle one until that case arrives. Hopefully it will be more ideal than the Eagle one.

rocket
02-03-10, 20:20
I have tried to fix the flattened protectors inside the case. It is not due to twisted foam, but rather the way it has been stitched. It is tough to explain in writing, but the stitching on one side has an overlap bias and is pushing the protector thing down (shown in my pics above). In this case, if the stitching were the same on the top AND bottom, it would work together and push the foam upright - kind of like a fence which is falling down but has two support poles on either side to hold it up (and in turn preventing it from falling the other way).
If you don't understand I'll post pics.

I went to look at the Tactical Tailor 32" Covert Carry Case today in hopes that it would be a little better than the Eagle one. The inside is nice because of those two velcro weapon straps, but the outside pocket is flimsy and any loose items would bounce around like crazy. The Eagle case has a nice padded front pocket, which would protect items kept in there (a nice benefit, really).

So I've ordered that SERT Systems 36" soft case from i-SHOT, and will hang onto my Eagle one until that case arrives. Hopefully it will be more ideal than the Eagle one.

I'd like to see a pic of it if you could please....just so I can reference it with mine when it comes in. Could be an issue Eagle Ind. would like to know about.

So, if mine has a similar problem...should I contact Eagle or do you think SKD Tac. (place of purchase) will take care of me? Thoughts on the best way of handling it anyone? My first order with SKD and first Eagle product.

pazzo
02-03-10, 20:38
I'll post a pic when I get home from work (around 830-9 Pacific time).

This is an issue ultimately with Eagle, but also with the company doing the sewing. I don't think they would spend the time/money to stitch the other side :rolleyes:

pazzo
02-03-10, 22:43
Here's a pic showing one of the sewn sides, and how it pushes the foam/material down flat with the inside of the case.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/IMG_5218.jpg

Here's a shot of the foam being held up by my hand. If the stitching on the inside here was the same as the other side, it would be held upright.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/IMG_5220.jpg

rocket
02-03-10, 23:30
Thanks for the pics pazzo, I'll compare them with mine when it gets in. Maybe others who have this particular case (Eagle CAR-15 LE) can spot any similarities or differences. I'd be curious to know. Thanks again.

boganz45
02-05-10, 03:51
I use the Discreet Case (Car-15) LE Case found here: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=696&cat=67&page=1 and I love it. Great materials, construction, build quality, durability, and protection. Inside the smaller outside zipper pocket there are 8 columns/3 alternating rows of elastic webbing divided in half by 4 built-in single 30 round mag pouches. The pocket has a lot more usable room left over which I use to store rifle accessories or other firearms (i.e. handguns) when going to the range, etc. The larger zipper pocket where the rifle goes has NO straps to velcro the rifle down which I actually like (the rifle does not have much vertical room to move and horizontal movement is nil; the part I like about the lack of rifle pocket straps is that I can unzip the larger pocket zipper only a small amount (the short vertical edge of the rectangular case) and slide the rifle right out for use without having to open the case all the way up and worry about unvelcroing the gun, having the velcro snag the rifle if it needed to be used immediately, etc.). If you want pics just ask.

boganz45
02-05-10, 03:59

That is unfortunate. I bought mine a while ago, it has worked fine, and I think it is a great case. However do note mine is USA made. My buddy has that same Condor Case you speak of, and while it looks less discreet, it is a surprisingly decent case for the money.

boganz45
02-05-10, 04:06

boganz45
02-05-10, 04:16
Every DC-CAR-15 case I own and have seen had the two internal straps. They are also pictured on the website, pic# 5: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=358&cat=67&page=1

I recall, but cannot verify right now, that the same was true of the DC-M16/AR15.

Must be a recent change.

The DC-CAR-15s all have straps, the DC-CAR-15-LEs all do not. Two different models.

rob_s
02-05-10, 06:34
I'm still trying to figure out where any of the little niggling complaints affect the utility of the bag.

I have a non-LE case that I've had for several years from a special run in blue on TOS. It has the straps and mag pouches in the main compartment, and an outer compartment with no sub-pouches.

I do not use the interior straps to secure the carbine, and don't see any use for them at all. Initially when I bought the bag I thought I had to use them but after getting tired of struggling to get the gun out I quit using them and haven't had a complaint since. I keep a 16" BCM in the main pouch and a Colt 6933 in the outer pocket. neither are strapped down.

I have no idea if my foam edges stand up or lay down, and I have never looked closely enough to care. I'm not sure what the functional issue is there.

I also have the Tactical Tailor bag shown earlier and I don't like it. the magazine pouches in the outer pocket are too high and with 30-round magazines in them it's difficult to close the zipper. the only reason the zipper does close is that the outer pocket is absurdly over-sized to the point of uselessness.

pazzo
02-05-10, 09:59
rob,

Have you tried stuffing a chest rig into the outside pocket in the Tactical Tailor bag? I remember when I was looking at it, the reason I didn't buy it was because of that front pouch being so huge and non-padded.

On the flip side (and sort of going against what I said before), the Eagle (CAR-15) LE bag which I have is definitely useful. I was just mad at a few problems which I thought were unacceptable coming from a company with a reputation as big as Eagle's. I will make specific not that I definitely like the padded front pocket on the Eagle (CAR-15) LE bag.

Anyways,
I have decided to keep my Eagle bag for the time being and see how it stack up to my new SERT bag, when it comes in. I have a feeling I'm going to like that one better, especially with the MOLLE webbing everywhere inside - I can totally customize which pouches and how many I put in there. I will have custom mag pouches made by my local shop as soon as I have the bag.

My overall answer would have to be - Yes, I do like my Eagle Discreet Carry (CAR-15 LE) bag, even thought I am mad with the things I mentioned in previous posts.

rob_s
02-05-10, 10:03
The front pocket on the TT is so huge that I won't put anything in it. It sags and hangs down in an awkward way that leaves whatever is in there as the first point of contact with the ground. It's also thinner material.

ST911
02-05-10, 11:59
The DC-CAR-15s all have straps, the DC-CAR-15-LEs all do not. Two different models.

Yes, I know. That's why I used part numbers in my post.

rocket
02-06-10, 17:57
So, I received my Eagle bag DC CAR 15 LE yesterday. Although I was frustrated to find out that my bag was made in DR, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The inner padding along the zipper was smashed down when I first opened the package, but I just worked it out with very little effort and now it's fine. The material is built like a tank, zippers work flawlessly, outside pocket sits up and sturdy with no sag. This is my experience and I couldn't be more happy! Based on this, I'll definetely be purchasing more Eagle accessories. :D

pazzo
02-10-10, 19:34
After using my DC CAR-15 LE for a couple of weeks now, I have decided that I like it.

When I first received it I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed with some minor things, but they do not bug me anymore. After inspecting a few of the competitors, I realize that this case is great quality and has great features, such as the padded front pocket and robust materials :D

Cajunkraut
06-25-10, 20:02
I own the Eagle standard discreet, the LE, and an ishot, and I like them all for different reasons.

I do appreciate the absence of internal straps on the LE. Leaving the interior "slick" was done by request of end users and obviously allows for rapid deployment of the weapon. My LE case is an early model, so it's US made as far as I know. Eagle has one of the best warranties in the business, so I wouldn't let outsourcing change your mind.

The ishots are everything they claim to be. The only downsides: availability, cost, and weight. They're already heavy due to sturdy materials and extensive molle webbing. Once you add pouches, ammo, etc., it's a heavy case even without the weapon.

Just my $.02.