PDA

View Full Version : TLR-3 on a MOE handguard with forward hand position?

HeavyDuty
01-30-10, 13:19
I'm trying to decide what to do about lighting on my MOE carbine. The desire to have a light that also works on my M&P Compact has led me to look at the Streamlight TLR-3. While it is not as bright as some other options, I suspect it's plenty bright enough for houseclearing - I'm not planning on using it outdoors.

The issue I'm running into is a lack of space on the MOE handguard. I run my hand pretty far forward with my thumb on the side of the FSB extension and the mini handstop lip against the front side of my hand. (I use a small VFG for indexing against the back of my hand.) I don't want to get into a FSB tower mount, I'd really like to keep it on the handguard.

What I'm thinking is the short MI 1.5" rail in the furthest slot forward on the right side of the handguard. I *think* this will allow mounting of a TLR-3 far enough forward that I can use my forefinger or middle finger to control the paddle. I considered a TLR-1, but I think it would extend far enough rearward to be unworkable plus it wouldn't fit on my M&P Compact.

It's hard to visualize this without having the light in hand, but I really don't want to spend the money unless I have a reasonable chance this is going to work. Does this sound doable?

mrbieler
01-30-10, 13:28
I tried that with a TLR-1 and I just didn't like it. Felt very cramped.

Moved the light to a MI FSB mount. That worked, but it threw off the balance and it didn't feel right. There is a post of a MI mount mod'ed to reduce weight by shaving down the opposite side of the mount, but I never tried that myself.

Took advantage of the winter BCM sale and picked up a DD rail and the light is now on a DD off set mount positioned on the top rail with the light over at 10~11 o'clock and I have an AFG on the bottom.

Far forward with my support hand. Not cramped, and I can easily slip up and blip the light. Much happier now.:)

Here is the results:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/BCM_light-1.jpg

HeavyDuty
01-30-10, 13:59
That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the TLR-3 instead of the TLR-1 - the distance from the crossbolt to the rear of the light looks to be much shorter. I *think* this will work...

M4Fundi
01-31-10, 01:53
I'm in the same boat and its either going to be one of 3 things (I think;))

1. The MI FSB mount (it will work perfect ergonomically for my left/support hand out to the end & with TD stubby, but NOT be ambi)

2. Mount the light on a piece of rail at 4-4:30 O'Clock similar to Kyle Lamb's setup which is not the most comfortable, but is ambi & gets rid of the MOE crowding problem. Tho have not seen it done this way on the MOE. Another thought here "for me" the TD Stubby w/o a rail panel behind it at 6 O'Clock & trying to reach a light at 4-4:30 is painful to thumb joint & I would look into the new Magpul VFG that is MOE dedicated and does not have the large base that many other VFG seem to have.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lightmount.html#

3. DD Omega 7 :p

Possibly a 4th way is mount it at 4-4:30 & put a tape switch on the top of the MOE (SR07 or XT07) but I have an irrational phobia of electric wired tape switches:eek:

JSantoro
02-01-10, 07:55
Is the -3 shock mitigated to rifle impulse levels? I know the current versions of the -1 are, and currently use one, but my -3 has been exclusively for pistol, so far.

I wouldn't mind the reduced space taken up by a -3.....

rob_s
02-01-10, 07:59
I don't want to get into a FSB tower mount, I'd really like to keep it on the handguard.

Why?

rob_s
02-01-10, 08:04
1. The MI FSB mount (it will work perfect ergonomically for my left/support hand out to the end & with TD stubby, but NOT be ambi)

I just tried this to verify. With an X300 on an MI FSB mount I can reach over the handguard with my right thumb and activate the light while shooting form the support side (left, for me). It works so well that I'm going to play with moving the light from the left side of the FSB to the right side for strong-side shooting and activation with my left thumb by reaching over the handguard.

b_w_hlls
02-01-10, 08:28
I have used the MI FSB mount for awhile with the TLR-1, and it feels so natural and effortless to activate the light. Just as Rob says, during support side shooting it takes minimal effort to reach across the top of the handguard to activate. I never got the feeling of being off balanced using the mount. I have recently installed the DD omega x FSB rail, and have the TLR mounted on the left side ( most comfortable position I can get on the rail ) but I miss how natural the positioning was with the FSB mount.

HeavyDuty
02-01-10, 08:31
Why?

Weight.

Expense of installing them on several carbines.

rob_s
02-01-10, 09:34
Weight.

Expense of installing them on several carbines.

Makes sense. I think you're going to wind up without enough room no matter what light you try to use if mounting directly to the MOE.

In the 2010 catalog Magpul has a cantilever rail piece that is designed to work with the MOE. No idea as to cost or eventual availability though.

HeavyDuty
02-01-10, 11:57
Makes sense. I think you're going to wind up without enough room no matter what light you try to use if mounting directly to the MOE.

In the 2010 catalog Magpul has a cantilever rail piece that is designed to work with the MOE. No idea as to cost or eventual availability though.

I'll have to check out that cantilevered rail - I missed it. Thanks!

mrbieler
02-01-10, 18:56
Opps. Meant to post this as an edit to my first post...

HeavyDuty
02-01-10, 22:52
I just saw that MOE lighting kit in the new catalog - it looks perfect. I'll hold off until they're released and reassess then.

Thanks for the lead, Rob!

M4Fundi
02-02-10, 02:41
I just tried this to verify. With an X300 on an MI FSB mount I can reach over the handguard with my right thumb and activate the light while shooting form the support side (left, for me). It works so well that I'm going to play with moving the light from the left side of the FSB to the right side for strong-side shooting and activation with my left thumb by reaching over the handguard.

Rob, I'm glad my mistake could help you out;)

JSantoro
02-05-10, 12:18
I'm trying to decide what to do about lighting on my MOE carbine. The desire to have a light that also works on my M&P Compact has led me to look at the Streamlight TLR-3. While it is not as bright as some other options, I suspect it's plenty bright enough for houseclearing - I'm not planning on using it outdoors.

If it matters, I ended up answering my own question above. Contacted one the LE folks @ streamlight, and while it doesn't seem to appear in any of the product literature, the TLR-3 was successfully tested on 5.56/.223 rifles and other calibers, and stands up to rifle/carbine recoil impulse levels.

So, the -3 might work if overall footprint is the greater part of what you're looking to reduce.

ETS: He also passed that there is no tape-switch option for the -3; general FYI.