PDA

View Full Version : Thinnest Bolt-On Rails?

CaptainDooley
01-30-10, 14:49
So I was wanting to pick up a couple pieces of bolt-on rail for my MOE handguards. I have one section of the Ergo polymer rail and it seems really thick to me (and I've seen others say the same). I figure the aluminum bolt-ons can be thinner for the same strength, but I was wondering if there was any variation in the different brands of bolt-on rails - does someone out there make one that is thinner than others?

rob_s
01-30-10, 17:29
They are thick to meet the minimum height requirement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M1913A_Rail_CrossSection.svg

CaptainDooley
01-30-10, 20:30
Good to know.

It's interesting, I saw some at a local shop today that were super thin - made by Remington and marketed for their R15 rifle handguards - I would have picked them up except they were anodized in a Mossy Oak pattern (or some other hunting camo pattern). Good thing I didn't since they apparently are too thin to be picatinny spec'd...

CaptainDooley
04-03-10, 22:54
Just bought an MI bolt-on and it is easily half the height of the Ergo polymer rail I had. If all the aluminum rails are this thin, I'm not buying any more polymer rails, that's for sure...

The_War_Wagon
04-04-10, 08:58
I'm HOPING their DD Lite rails... because that's what's going on my new Addax upper!

rob_s
04-04-10, 10:00
Just bought an MI bolt-on and it is easily half the height of the Ergo polymer rail I had. If all the aluminum rails are this thin, I'm not buying any more polymer rails, that's for sure...

ay chance you couldmeasure the vertical portio? i would be curious to know the dimension on both the MI and Ergo.

something else that dawned on me was that some bolt-on rails are meant to go between the slots on the bottom of GI round handguards and may be taller to acomodate that.

CaptainDooley
04-04-10, 13:36
I measured from the base to the widest part of the rail on each - It was the easiest way to measure it accurately without removing the rails...

Ergo Polymer rail - .375"
MI MCTAR-02 - .25"

Not quite double, but a fair difference close. I'm assuming that if they're in spec, the remaining height would be equal/comparable.

rob_s
04-04-10, 19:43
Yeah, looks like the Ergo is too tall and the .25 is the correct measurement.

Dozer
04-04-10, 19:45
The MOE rail sections are available for purchase already.

rob_s
04-04-10, 19:47
The MOE rail sections are available for purchase already.

Since we're on the subject of measurements, can you tell us the dimension from the handguard out to the widest part like CD measured?

Dozer
04-04-10, 21:29
I'll try to get some info when I get to the shop tomorrow.

Dave_M
04-05-10, 16:38
Since we're on the subject of measurements, can you tell us the dimension from the handguard out to the widest part like CD measured?

I was under the impression that Ergo was the OEM manufacturer for the MOE hand guard add-a-rails. Did I get some bad scuttlebutt?

rob_s
04-05-10, 16:59
I was under the impression that Ergo was the OEM manufacturer for the MOE hand guard add-a-rails. Did I get some bad scuttlebutt?

I think the rails that Magpul was selling for the MOE were just Ergo, but the new ones are different.

Dozer
04-05-10, 17:30
The MOE rails measure 0.385" at the widest point. The hardware included was specifically designed for use with the MOE handguard.

bkb0000
04-05-10, 17:47
Good to know.

It's interesting, I saw some at a local shop today that were super thin - made by Remington and marketed for their R15 rifle handguards - I would have picked them up except they were anodized in a Mossy Oak pattern (or some other hunting camo pattern). Good thing I didn't since they apparently are too thin to be picatinny spec'd...

oh no.. there's almost no way that's anodize. i bet if you plopped them into a bowl of lacquer thinner, they'd clean right up. just an educated guess, though. if if they're weaver, they should accept picatinny mounts.. weavers are milled wider in the slots. unless i have that backwards....?

CaptainDooley
04-05-10, 18:06
You're right - should have said paint. Whatever it was, it wasn't going on my rifle. According to wikipedia single slot weaver accessories will fit a picatinny rail, but the reverse is not always true.

Bimmer
04-05-10, 23:27
According to wikipedia single slot weaver accessories will fit a picatinny rail, but the reverse is not always true.

It's more complicated than this, but this is basically correct.