PDA

View Full Version : Troy MRF rail?

Dos Cylindros
01-30-10, 15:29
Hey guys, I have a colt upper with 14.5" barrel which has a perm attached YHM break to make 16". I have been thinking of going with a rail as opposed to my MOE and I really like the DD 12" rail with the FSB cut out. Obviously this won't work for my upper, but I discovered Troy makes one with the FSB cut out in their MRF version where all you have to do is cut off the delta ring assembly.

I am thinking about going with this rail, my question is are the MRF rails GTG? No rotation or loosening problems? Seems like a good way to get the longer FSB rail without having to change the barrel (as I love my 14.5").

Thanks.

steeltoe
01-30-10, 16:50
I like it very much. There is zero movement and plenty of real estate. For me this is the perfect length rail both for grip and dissipating heat.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/steeltoe73/IMG_0066-1.jpg

Dos Cylindros
01-30-10, 17:16
Sweet, thanks very much for the pic. I assume it was a fairly easy install? I have seen a couple of how two topics on this rail and it seems fairly straight forward. Cut delta ring assembly and spring, remove and bolt up the rail. No moving of FSB, and no need to remove the barrel correct?

mhanna91
01-30-10, 17:33
Hi. I have a question for the OP, and by the way this is out of pure curiosity and I don't want you to think I am questioning the rifle you have, but what is reason for having a 14.5" barrel if you have to put a flash supressor on it that makes it as long as a 16"? Is there some benefit in a 14.5" barrel vs. a 16"? And what is the legality of it? Do you need to register your gun as a SBR since the actual barrel is 14.5" even though the total is 16"? Just wondered.

Dos Cylindros
01-30-10, 17:49
Hi. I have a question for the OP, and by the way this is out of pure curiosity and I don't want you to think I am questioning the rifle you have, but what is reason for having a 14.5" barrel if you have to put a flash supressor on it that makes it as long as a 16"? Is there some benefit in a 14.5" barrel vs. a 16"? And what is the legality of it? Do you need to register your gun as a SBR since the actual barrel is 14.5" even though the total is 16"? Just wondered.

The flash suppressor is permanantly pinned and welded to the barrel, thus under ATF rules it is now part of the barrel making it 16". As to any benefit, I guess it is a tad bit lighter than a 16" barrel, and it is still shorter than a 16" barrel with flash suppressor. No it does not have to be registered as an SBR.