PDA

View Full Version : Cool Tool Find Today (Glock)

KellyTTE
01-30-10, 18:07
Well I went to the Beef Jerky/Knife/Taser Show, cleverly disguised as a "gun show" to drop some stuff off and pick up my money from the sale of my G21. Anyhow, on the way to the booth to meet my FFL, I spotted an odd sight tool with Glock markings.. but I'd never seen one exactly like it before.

I asked "How much"

"50.00" was the reply.

"Oh" I said.

Then the woman at the table asked me "Well, I don't even know what it is. Make me an offer.".

I said, "Well, it's a Glock sight tool, but it doesn't fit the new ones. How about 20.00?". ;)

"Okay" was the reply.

Check this marvel of G-Rock engineering out:

http://www.ttellc.net/fun/agst.jpg

1990ish I'd guess. Doesn't look anything like the current ones. I thought it was a good find for what I paid. Fun stuff. :D

M4arc
01-30-10, 18:11
Flawed design!

Just messing with you dude, that is a fantastic find! I would PM HotRod9mm and see if he knows anything about this. If anybody would know it would be him.

Very cool :cool:

KingsideRook
01-30-10, 18:33
Very cool. I've always thought there was something intriguing about original factory tools from previous generations. I went through the back room of a gun store that had been collecting gadgets since the 70's, and filing them alphabetically under the company name on shelves. Lots of neat stuff out there.

S500N
01-31-10, 08:46
Well I went to the Beef Jerky/Knife/Taser Show, cleverly disguised as a "gun show" to drop some stuff off and pick up my money from the sale of my G21. Anyhow, on the way to the booth to meet my FFL, I spotted an odd sight tool with Glock markings.. but I'd never seen one exactly like it before.

I asked "How much"

"50.00" was the reply.

"Oh" I said.

Then the woman at the table asked me "Well, I don't even know what it is. Make me an offer.".

I said, "Well, it's a Glock sight tool, but it doesn't fit the new ones. How about 20.00?". ;)

"Okay" was the reply.

Check this marvel of G-Rock engineering out:

http://www.ttellc.net/fun/agst.jpg

1990ish I'd guess. Doesn't look anything like the current ones. I thought it was a good find for what I paid. Fun stuff. :D

You have an older Glock factory sight tool. If memory serves, I purchased mine in the early 1990s for right around $100. However, mine did not have the various model numbers inscribed. I sold it to my local gunsmith when I got out of Glocks for a few years. It is still working well for him. I just saw him using it 2 weeks ago. Since that time, I have gotten back into the Glock platform and as such, purchased the current factory sight tool offering. I have broken 2 of the new sight tools. In my opinion, you have a much more robust tool than the current factory iteration.

M4arc
01-31-10, 09:22
The new Glock tools suck. Thank God for MGW.

S500N
01-31-10, 11:01
The new Glock tools suck. Thank God for MGW.

I couldn't agree more. After breaking 2 of the new Glock tools, I purchased an MGW. It works very well, and I will soon be adding another one for my M&Ps.

one
01-31-10, 12:50
That is cool. I have one that's probably a step newer in generation but still the same thing. It's black and does not have all the model designations on it. I picked it up after an Armorer's class in 1999. I wish i'd gotten a larger frame one too for .45's.

I've never tried the MGW tool, I'll have to learn more about it. Maybe pick one of those up for .45.

adh
01-31-10, 13:05
I went to the Beef Jerky/Knife/Taser Show

Laughed out loud when I read the Beef Jerky/Knife/Taser Show......you forgot to mention scented candles:p

M4Guru
01-31-10, 13:12
The new Glock sight tools are designed only to move factory plastic Glock sights...they are quite possibly the single lowest quality tool (of any sort) on the planet. The one you bought was a bargain at $20, and would have been a good deal even at $50.

I use MGW tools, but I wish they were more adjustable to fit other manufacturers sights in the block. Taller sights sometimes won't fit. Lone Wolf makes a decent Glock one as well. If you want to save some $ there are universal tools. I have had both of the major ones.

Win:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sight-adjust-install-tool-universal-meprolight.html

You get what you pay for.

Lose:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163458&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=649

Worst one ever, the pressure of the moving piece will cause your slide to cant and damage the sights/dovetail.

one
01-31-10, 20:08
On the taller sights not fitting the MGW I noticed earlier on top gun's site they're listing two different pushers. One for standard Glock angled sights and one for taller sights with flat sides.

Of course you wind up spending double the money on two tools. Then again when I've installed all the Heinie sights I have here it's always been with a brass punch and hammer.