PDA

View Full Version : Under the belt carry?

Sry0fcr
01-30-10, 22:37
Why isn't this mode of carry (between the belt and pants) more popular? Seems to have the advantages of IWB with the comfort of OWB at least from my extremely limited experience (i.e. the 6 hours I wore my Comp-Tac Infidel today). I'm new to the concealed carry world and still trying a lot of things out I can't be one of the first guys to try it out and like it.

bkb0000
01-30-10, 22:52
what IWB benefit do you get? the weapon and/or holster are still exposed.. the whole point to IWB carry is to have the weapon completely concealed within the pants below the waistline.

under belt carry probably keeps the weapon nice and snug against the body, but it doesn't conceal any better than any other OTW hip holster

John_Wayne777
01-30-10, 22:55
Why isn't it more popular? Probably because it's a pretty darn unsecure way to carry a handgun unless your belt is cinched so tight that you'll never sire any offspring. You're basically depending on the friction between your pistol and your belt to hold the gun in place...which isn't really ideal if you have to run, or have to wrestle with some dumbass who wants to hurt you, etc.

Less exotic stuff like getting into and out of the car can send your blaster clattering to the ground.

Business_Casual
01-30-10, 23:11
He he... blaster he he he...

Sry0fcr
01-31-10, 11:52
what IWB benefit do you get? the weapon and/or holster are still exposed.. the whole point to IWB carry is to have the weapon completely concealed within the pants below the waistline.

under belt carry probably keeps the weapon nice and snug against the body, but it doesn't conceal any better than any other OTW hip holster

I was referring to your second point, my thought was that keeping the gun snug against the body would aid in concealment vs an OWB belt holster but be more comfortable than having the gun holster actually in your pants' waistband. It's a compromise for sure but what isn't?

Why isn't it more popular? Probably because it's a pretty darn unsecure way to carry a handgun unless your belt is cinched so tight that you'll never sire any offspring. You're basically depending on the friction between your pistol and your belt to hold the gun in place...which isn't really ideal if you have to run, or have to wrestle with some dumbass who wants to hurt you, etc.

I'm depending on a belt clip/loops, the holsters adjustable retention, & the belt tension to hold the weapon in place. Just as if I was wearing it IWB.

John_Wayne777
01-31-10, 12:07
I'm depending on a belt clip/loops, the holsters adjustable retention, & the belt tension to hold the weapon in place. Just as if I was wearing it IWB.

Ok...you're referring to carrying an IWB holster between the belt and the pants and not just the gun. I misunderstood.

In that case the only advantage the between belt mode gets you is that the holster rides more snugly against the body. The other issues with belt carry, namely the holster sticking out below the bottom edge of a covering garment, are still there.

BT2012
01-31-10, 12:39
You have to make sure the material of the IWB is not too soft otherwise the belt would compress it making it difficult to reholster your firearm whether it's inside the pants or between the belt and pants. When CCW, ultimately it is type of shirt and or jacket you choose which will add to concealability as well as the size of your firearm.

Sry0fcr
01-31-10, 17:40
Ok...you're referring to carrying an IWB holster between the belt and the pants and not just the gun. I misunderstood.

Correct.

In that case the only advantage the between belt mode gets you is that the holster rides more snugly against the body. The other issues with belt carry, namely the holster sticking out below the bottom edge of a covering garment, are still there.

Well, it would ride more snugly against the body and you wouldn't have a holster and gun stuck in your pants. ;) But you're right the cover garment length still persists although that might be more of a problem for some than others depending on a lot of things. It hasn't been an issue for me with the G19 in the Comptac and my shirts. I'm sure it's not everything to everyone and it has it's positives and negatives but it seems like a viable option which brings me back to my original question since there's very few dedicated under the belt holsters on the market and I don't think I've ever seen a thread on it.

You have to make sure the material of the IWB is not too soft otherwise the belt would compress it making it difficult to reholster your firearm whether it's inside the pants or between the belt and pants. When CCW, ultimately it is type of shirt and or jacket you choose which will add to concealability as well as the size of your firearm.

True but the re-holstering issues are true whether under the belt or IWB. Personally I'm running a kydex rig.

uranus
01-31-10, 18:03
A true between the pants and the belt holster can possibly offer a higher ride than most IWB holsters because the belt loop can be placed lower on the holster.

I don't think wearing an IWB holster out of the pants makes the holster any more collapsable or holds the holster any tighter to the body.

An interesting hybrid, in a sense, is the Alessi Talon IWB, because the holster is designed to be worn IWB, but the plastic clip goes over the pant but under the belt. While the craftsmanship of Alessi holsters is outstanding, this is my least favorite Alessi holster because the holster does not have the horizontal stability of the other Alessi holsters, even when the belt is worn very tight. Even though I don't wear the holster very often, I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Sry0fcr
02-02-10, 07:44
A true between the pants and the belt holster can possibly offer a higher ride than most IWB holsters because the belt loop can be placed lower on the holster.

And this is what I'm discovering that I need. The Infidel places the gun pretty low and I'm thinking that I might prefer a higher ride height so I'm going to order the CTAC strut to adjust rie height and cant and the 2 O'clock clip to try out AIWB for a bit as well.

Sidewinder6
02-02-10, 10:07
These holsters are great for concealment but a problem reholstering once you got the puppy out. You have a difficult if not impossible time using one hand. Assuming you do not want to sweep your other hand. YMMV

Sry0fcr
02-02-10, 13:40
These holsters are great for concealment but a problem reholstering once you got the puppy out. You have a difficult if not impossible time using one hand. Assuming you do not want to sweep your other hand. YMMV

Yes, but that problem is extremely holster dependent. Those of us running Kydex or reinforced mouthed leather rigs are probably going to be fine in this regard.

Sidewinder6
02-02-10, 14:29
Yes. Thats true. I was thinking about the leather bikini type holsters. I have a couple, between the belt and pants and outside the belt, but the same thickness almost and that is the only con.

HeavyDuty
02-02-10, 17:36
I've done this on and off for years. The biggest problem I've found is that you're limited in where the holster can fit since it must go between belt loops - you can't span a loop for optimal placement.

Sry0fcr
02-08-10, 15:22
I've done this on and off for years. The biggest problem I've found is that you're limited in where the holster can fit since it must go between belt loops - you can't span a loop for optimal placement.

True, a lower profile holster would definately be the way to go. I've run into the belt loop placement issue on a couple pairs of pants already.

LHS
02-08-10, 23:50

That was my thought as well. A good IWB rig is wide, with loops spaced well apart. You'd have to skip a belt loop or two to get it to fit between the belt and the pants.

Honestly, I don't see the point. You still have the weapon protruding downwards where an inadvertent lift of the cover garment will expose it, and you get all the snug discomfort of an IWB rig. I just tuck a T-shirt behind the IWB and that prevents the gun or holster from rubbing on my torso, and keeps the rusting down as well.

Bob Reed
02-09-10, 16:59
Hello,

For over 30 years I've exclusively used OWB holsters for concealed carry (mainly due to not liking IWB carry) and my next holster purchase will in fact be a between the belt & pants model.

After carrying my Browning High Powers in Andy Arratoonian's Model 28XS Crossdraw for a few years at my 2 O'-Clock/Appendix position as a muzzle forward strong-side rig, I often wish that it was a between the belt & pants model. Don't get me wrong, the Model 28XS is a Fine Holster whether it be used for crossdraw or muzzle forward strong-side carry, but a between the belt model thats simular to it might just be better...

Here's Andy's Model 28X Crossdraw. http://www.holsters.org/crossdraw-holster.htm

Mitch Rosen makes some nice between the belt & pants holsters.

Obviously this one is a stright drop dispite the ad saying muzzle rear rake.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/between_waistband/body_between_waistband.html

About half way down this page is more of Mitch's between the belt & pants models. The Slim-X would also work well for muzzle forward strong-side appendix carry.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/slimline_holsters/body_slimline_holsters.html

Rusty Sherrick offers a nice between the belt model as well, it's on this page.
http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/vertbelt.html

I have experimented with between the belt carry by modifying an old IWB holster and liked it quite well.

Of course this mode of carry isn't for everyone, but it's sure worth a try for those that don't care for IWB carry.