PDA

View Full Version : Private Security/Contractor Training

msp21
01-31-10, 08:20
I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post this in so mods please move it if it need be.

I want to know where to start to get training for going into private security or private contracting. Is prior military required or can you get training somewhere else that would meet the standards? Any help, suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Iraq Ninja
01-31-10, 08:38
Prior military combat arms experience is the norm these days. Used to see a few LEO in a few US companies, but rarely in the Brit ones.

So, the odds of someone with no mil or leo background getting a job after taking a course is not very high. Personally, I wouldn't want such a person on my team for many reasons. There are just too many various skill sets that one has to know well, and no course can teach it all.

A military background can also be used for vetting. We can take the average combat experienced vet and bring him up to speed for PSD work. There are just too many unknowns associated with Course Commandos looking for work in a high threat environment.

This is more of a career you fall into after another related career, be in mil or leo. Wisdom and experience are never available through a course.

This is a very difficult time to find such work. Jobs are few and far between, and there are a lot of combat experienced people who are looking as well.

John_Wayne777
01-31-10, 10:09
I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post this in so mods please move it if it need be.

I want to know where to start to get training for going into private security or private contracting. Is prior military required or can you get training somewhere else that would meet the standards? Any help, suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Most companies will not touch you without significant prior military experience. The ones who may try generally suck, which means that they probably hired lots of people who suck, which means you'll probably end up dead.

If you want to kill bad guys in exotic places around the globe, step one is enlisting in the armed services with a combat focused MOS.

BT2012
01-31-10, 13:48
Even if you are current or former LEO, I would not recommend working a PSD in a foreign country. Skill and training differs greatly between law enforcement and military and taking a course here and there will not bring you up to the level needed. If PSD is a career you really want to get into then consider enlisting in the military or look into the Secret Service, State Department and U.S. Marshal.

variablebinary
01-31-10, 20:08

Go visit your local armed forces recruiter. That should be your first step.

There is no effective short cut path to being in private security. And even if there was, would you want people on your team who had taken it?

Combat is not a joke. I got a JTAC associate that got blown to hell by an IED a couple of weeks ago. Left a wife behind. It happens that quick.

Think long and hard about this.

thopkins22
01-31-10, 23:11
http://www.us.brinksinc.com/ ;)

MIKE G
01-31-10, 23:11
What is your motivation to do private security/contract work?

ETA:

If it is money, keep moving, nothing to see here. There is no fast way. All roads to getting a gig will involve an investment of some sort and either you want to do the job when it is expensive and not glamorous or you dont.

bkb0000
01-31-10, 23:50
not too many Shannon Campbells out there...

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 01:50
I think there has been sound advice given here. Getting some overseas gig is not a get rich quick scheme. You are being recruited by a company (hopefully a good one) that is recognizing you for your previous experience and skill sets.

There really is no amount of private instruction out there that can teach a non-military or high speed LEO everything that he needs to stay alive and keep his team mates alive.

Of course there are other support roles available that pay good money, but again companies are looking for personnel with a lot of experience and a track record.

The best thing you can do is join the military, get some training and college money while serving your country and see where life takes you.

Iraq Ninja
02-01-10, 01:57
I am sitting in a tent at VBC waiting on my new CAC card. I was just at the Green Bean and saw some friends from EODT. They are on the PSD team. They were recently hit with a big pay cut and now make only $65,000 a year. Most expressed an interest in looking for work elsewhere.

There are still very good paying jobs out there. As some companies like EODT cut wages, they will mostly attract folks who can't qualify for the tier 1 companies, thus we will see a reduction in quality as the experienced folks move on to the better paying jobs.

There is no job security in this business. Very little company loyalty too. People read about the contractors in Iraq, but have no idea that the private security world is much larger and dynamic. There are a lot of interesting jobs outside of Iraq, but you have to be networked into the system to even know about them.

This may be my last year here. It will be six years next month and I would not mind a change. A Stan is a possibility, but I would prefer a CONUS gig. Maybe working offshore on an oil rig in a regulatory or medical position. Heck, I would love to get involved with the firearms industry as well.

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 02:03
I was on my way to Helmand province earlier today and got hit by a flu bug. Should be trying again on Wednesday.

I am sitting in a tent at VBC waiting on my new CAC card. I was just at the Green Bean and saw some friends from EODT. They are on the PSD team. They were recently hit with a big pay cut and now make only $65,000 a year. Most expressed an interest in looking for work elsewhere.

There are still very good paying jobs out there. As some companies like EODT cut wages, they will mostly attract folks who can't qualify for the tier 1 companies, thus we will see a reduction in quality as the experienced folks move on to the better paying jobs.

There is no job security in this business. Very little company loyalty too. People read about the contractors in Iraq, but have no idea that the private security world is much larger and dynamic. There are a lot of interesting jobs outside of Iraq, but you have to be networked into the system to even know about them.

This may be my last year here. It will be six years next month and I would not mind a change. A Stan is a possibility, but I would prefer a CONUS gig. Maybe working offshore on an oil rig in a regulatory or medical position. Heck, I would love to get involved with the firearms industry as well.

JSantoro
02-01-10, 09:06
I want to know where to start to get training for going into private security or private contracting.
Line starts here...;)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/791/yellowfootprints.jpg

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 18:23
Is that the path to the Golden Arches? :D

Line starts here...;)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/791/yellowfootprints.jpg

JSantoro
02-01-10, 18:53
HEY, NOW!!

wes007
02-02-10, 22:43
For many of the tier 1 companies on average how many years of combat exp are they looking for?

Iraqgunz
02-02-10, 23:13
Honestly it can truly vary. We had guys at my last company with zero combat experience and some that had been in 20 years and seen them all. On my other contracts with other companies it was very similar. I will tell you that one of the number 1 things is having a good solid resume/CV.

For many of the tier 1 companies on average how many years of combat exp are they looking for?

wes007
02-03-10, 00:19
Honestly it can truly vary. We had guys at my last company with zero combat experience and some that had been in 20 years and seen them all. On my other contracts with other companies it was very similar. I will tell you that one of the number 1 things is having a good solid resume/CV.

I may be incorrect in this assumption but I'm assuming that the employees from tier 1's with no combat experience had a certain intelligence requirement i.e a degree or prior experience in another field

Iraqgunz
02-03-10, 02:35
No not really. It was a matter of "bodies are needed" this person has the requisite years of service, MOS and whatever.

Some of the bigger companies have "static" security gigs that really don't call for a "snake eater" and yet pay suprisingly good. There are also support roles as well, HR, finance, armorers, mechanics, etc...One of our best mechanics had no military experience and no combat experience. He also ran the roads as a driver and carried a weapon in the early days of the company

I may be incorrect in this assumption but I'm assuming that the employees from tier 1's with no combat experience had a certain intelligence requirement i.e a degree or prior experience in another field

rugbymike
02-03-10, 13:35
So someone with military and or LEO backround, what training courses could he take to one, be better at the job, and to look more appealing.

Magpul Dynamics Pistol 1 and 2, Carbine 1 and 2
US Training Center Carbine

Or would they look the same as mom and pop local gun range Carbine Course

Body Guard Course
Special Driving Courses
I'm assuming would help look good as well. Any one is specific more helpful, or more legit?

JSantoro
02-03-10, 13:37
EMT/Paramedic is often considered plus.

b6b
02-03-10, 22:58
No not really. It was a matter of "bodies are needed" this person has the requisite years of service, MOS and whatever.

Some of the bigger companies have "static" security gigs that really don't call for a "snake eater" and yet pay suprisingly good. There are also support roles as well, HR, finance, armorers, mechanics, etc...One of our best mechanics had no military experience and no combat experience. He also ran the roads as a driver and carried a weapon in the early days of the company

Were you working over in Area 51?

Iraq Ninja
02-03-10, 23:21
Were you working over in Area 51?

Ah, the Mothership! I think IG worked in the IZ. 51 is run by a British company.

Rubymike,

Taking a shooting course will probably do no good at all in landing a job. Shooting is not a primary skill in PMC work. There are plenty of crappy shooters in this industry. Medical and driving skills are sought after more than shooting.

Spending time in Iraq and understanding the ground and the culture are more important than how fast you can do a mag change. Knowing when not to shoot is more important than pulling the trigger at every perceived threat. Discrimination is the key, not elimination.

IraqGunz,

We just got word from the Iraqi MOI that PMCs are not allowed to carry smokes or flashbangs now. Its back to flashing a VS17 panel to call in the choppers...

b6b
02-03-10, 23:33
Ah, the Mothership! I think IG worked in the IZ. 51 is run by a British company.

Rubymike,

Taking a shooting course will probably do no good at all in landing a job. Shooting is not a primary skill in PMC work. There are plenty of crappy shooters in this industry. Medical and driving skills are sought after more than shooting.

Spending time in Iraq and understanding the ground and the culture are more important than how fast you can do a mag change. Knowing when not to shoot is more important than pulling the trigger at every perceived threat. Discrimination is the key, not elimination.

IraqGunz,

We just got word from the Iraqi MOI that PMCs are not allowed to carry smokes or flashbangs now. Its back to flashing a VS17 panel to call in the choppers...

You know thats so the IA will quit trying to get everyone to give them there smokes at all the cp's or them having another incident like at 4 with them pulling the tank out.