PDA

View Full Version : Chest rigs - the best choice for civilians?

gjj
01-31-10, 14:23
I see all the tactical shooters with high dollar chest rigs. They look nice. I am sure they work well. However, for a civilian, I am having a hard time seeing how they would serve a useful purpose.

It seems to me, that a low profile fighting bag makes much more sense. I am not one of those guys who thinks a SHTF scenario is impossible. As a matter of fact, I think they are inevitable. The Rodney King riots and Katrina being good examples. It seems to me that a civilian would want to do everything possible to be low profile. Running around in a chest rig seems like it would make you more likely to get shot or disarmed by the police.

Any comments? I am not a troll. Maybe I need another point of view.

JimT
01-31-10, 14:49
I'm a civilian and have four ammunition carrying setups.

1) Chest Rig:
Tactical Tailor MAV
ESSTAC triple M4 pouch
Tactical Tailor single M4 shingle x 2
Maxpedition Rolly Poly medium

2) CR-Speed belt:
Uncle Mike's double pistol magazine pouch
Blade Tech drop & offset holster for G35
Blade Tech ar15 magazine pouches x 2
Maxpedition Roly Poly

3) Blue Force Gear SOC-C belt:
Eagle Ind. G17/22 dual magazine pouch
ITW Fast Mag Gen III x 2
Maxpedition Roly Poly
Holster TBD

4) Whatever pair of pants/shorts I have at the moment.

Back in 2004-2006 I was running the MAV with a holster and mag pouches on my belt. That was during the time where I thought that more was better.

Sometime between 2006 and 2010 I pretty much ditched the MAV altogether in favor of a more streamlined setup that would provide me with more movement and comfort. Hence my current CR-Speed belt configuration. However, the CR-Speed left a lot to be desired. What I've been wanting is a belt setup that has at least the same carrying capacity as the CR-Speed, but meet my added requirements:

a) Improved load bearing
b) Stone-cold easy to put on

My solution is my SOC-C setup and although it does not have a holster at the moment (RCS Phantom inbound), I can tell that this will be a winner. I share the same attitude as you with regard to SHTF situations. They will happen and hopefully my family and I won't be anywhere near them, but if it comes to me then my AR carbine will be on hand. The SOC-C makes it easy for me to deploy a secondary weapon and spare ammunition in a matter of seconds. Belt loops are not required and I can rock it in the nude if need be.

I'm also curious how well a low profile fighting bag would work out, but have not had the opportunity to try one.

Regardless, whether or not someone has put on a chest rig, fighting bag, first line belt, whatever the topic of becoming inconspicuous probably becomes moot if you have a fighting rifle in your hand.

HeavyDuty
01-31-10, 17:24
I recently picked up a FLC as my first piece of load bearing tactical gear. I'm finding that it is probably overkill for me 99% of the time.

I just ordered an inexpensive chest rig to play with (one of the clearance 5.11 rigs, a whopping $9). I plan to add three single carbine pouches, a small admin pouch and a radio pouch, that's it. I want something that will (mostly)conceal under a chore coat if needed.

I think a low profile chest rig may be the answer, for me anyways - and if it proves to not work out I'm not out a lot of money.

hossb7
01-31-10, 17:43
You'll probably find all the info you need if you thumb through this thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24843

:)

ballistic
01-31-10, 17:50
You might want to consider a discreet active shooter bag like a Mini Sneaky Bag (http://www.onesourcetactical.com/sneakybags-miniriflefightingbag-specialedition-colors-instocknow.aspx) to hold spare carbine mags, pistol mags, and FAK/Trauma Kit. Along with a discreet rifle bag like a CavArms DRB (http://www.cavalryarms.com/DRB.html), Blueforce Gear DAP (http://blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=11&prod_id=156), or Noveske Discreet Backpack (http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=61&page=1&search=&since=&status=), it would supplement a 72 hour BOB without drawing too much attention or scrutiny for the types of situations where you can't shelter in place.

No matter what you get, train with it at the range, in classes, and in dry firing drills. If and when you need it shouldn't be the first time you use it.

sproing
02-02-10, 01:41
I see all the tactical shooters with high dollar chest rigs. They look nice. I am sure they work well. However, for a civilian, I am having a hard time seeing how they would serve a useful purpose.

It seems to me, that a low profile fighting bag makes much more sense. I am not one of those guys who thinks a SHTF scenario is impossible. As a matter of fact, I think they are inevitable. The Rodney King riots and Katrina being good examples. It seems to me that a civilian would want to do everything possible to be low profile. Running around in a chest rig seems like it would make you more likely to get shot or disarmed by the police.

Any comments? I am not a troll. Maybe I need another point of view.

So you'll be running around with an AR-15 but your "low profile fighting bag" will make you inconspicuous?

I'm having trouble following your logic.

ETA: One other thing I would add is that if you really want to know the answer, go buy a Sneaky Bag or whatever floats your boat and try it. Folks here can suggest ideas but if you want to figure out what actually works for you personally, you need to get out there and use it. A lot. As Jeff Cooper said, "Owning a gun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." Same goes for any other piece of gear.

rob_s
02-02-10, 05:43
You'll probably find all the info you need if you thumb through this thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24843

:)

I was going to post the exact same thing. This issue has come up more than once in that thread (presumably by people too lazy to read the whole thread but not so lazy as to start a whole 'nother thread of it's own ;) ).

As a non-LE civilian, I use a chest rig to carry spare ammo, tools, and trauma supplies to the line in training and competition. I do not envision donning a chest rig in a crisis. That does not negate it's usefulness in a training environment, nor does it mean that I'm not "training like I'd fight".

For every "I'm training like I'd fight" and "you're just a gear queer poser" I've run into in classes there's a guy that can't get his act together on the line, fumbling around for his shit, raising his hand in the middle of the drill saying "'I need more ammo".

gjj
02-02-10, 07:45
The "logic" to my question is based on this assumption. During civil unrest, you have three different types of people to fear

1. Bad guys that want to hurt you, steal from you, or vandalize your stuff.
2. The authorities
3. Good guys that think you are a threat

The bad guys are the simplest to figure out.

The authorities are more complicated. They will going around disarming the people they think are a threat to themselves and others. Someone who looks all Soldier of Fortune is more likely to be disarmed. Therefore, camo BDUs, chest rigs, and such elevates your chances of losing your stuff.

Good guys will have itchy trigger fingers. Your biggest risk is when you are moving from point A to B. You will have a huge advantage if your gun can be hidden in a case and your support gear can be worn and ready but not overtly military.

Basically, you want to look as regular Joe as possible. That will be your best camo.

rob_s
02-02-10, 07:57
The "logic" to my question is based on this assumption. During civil unrest, you have three different types of people to fear

1. Bad guys that want to hurt you, steal from you, or vandalize your stuff.
2. The authorities
3. Good guys that think you are a threat

The bad guys are the simplest to figure out.

The authorities are more complicated. They will going around disarming the people they think are a threat to themselves and others. Someone who looks all Soldier of Fortune is more likely to be disarmed. Therefore, camo BDUs, chest rigs, and such elevates your chances of losing your stuff.

Good guys will have itchy trigger fingers. Your biggest risk is when you are moving from point A to B. You will have a huge advantage if your gun can be hidden in a case and your support gear can be worn and ready but not overtly military.

Basically, you want to look as regular Joe as possible. That will be your best camo.

Just to clarify, none of this negates the use of a chest rig for training.

But while I would tend to agree with most of what you post, with new rigs like the BFG 10-speed that becomes less of an issue with the right choice of clothing. And then there's the little matter of who's really watching your chest rig when you have a rifle in your hands....

gjj
02-02-10, 10:34
My opinion is that a chest rig would be good if you are defending a fixed location like your home or place of business (Koreans in the LA riots).

During civil unrest, if you have to be mobile or you just have to go get granny to bring her back to your house for safe keeping - you will make yourself more of a target by looking like the poster child for Blackhawk Industries

Here is the key. A fixed position can quickly turn into a situation where you will need to be mobile. Even, the Koreans had to travel to their stores and back home. You will want to be in blue jeans with a plain bag that doesn't scream "commando" that you can wear ready to use. A rifle in a quick access bag can then be brought into play if needed.

None of this is new thinking. I didn't invent it. I just can't see how a chest rig would be practical for a civilian because you will never know when you will need to blend in. Blending in is easier with a Maxpedition Versipak full of magazines and your AR15 in a lawnchair bag.

rob_s
02-02-10, 10:40
So, the chest rig attracts attention, but the 3.5' rifle in your hand goes unnoticed?

C'mon man. This sounds to me like coming up with a conclusion and working backwards to find a justification. I can easily put on a light windbreaker or a jacket over something like the BFG 10-speed, or even a large shirt, and completely conceal it.

gjj
02-02-10, 10:43
What if it is summer and 95 degrees? That windbreaker will get very uncomfortable.

ST911
02-02-10, 11:01
"Chest rig" is a bit of a nebulous term. Their features, attributes, comfort, and concealability can vary widely. Folks will configure and load them differently. One shooter's choice will work well in a role, and anothers poorly. Helps to provide some detail when we're discussing them.

I have a chest rig I can grab, load, and conceal pretty easily for certain roles, and another that's heavily loaded for less discreet uses. They are very different setups, for very different needs.

rob_s
02-02-10, 11:06
What if it is summer and 95 degrees? That windbreaker will get very uncomfortable.

Stop cherry picking.

What about the rifle itself?

Look, I don't really give a damn about the topic as a chest rig is not part of my fantasy disaster plan, but at least try and apply some logic and reason here.

gjj
02-02-10, 11:12
The rifle is in a covert bag.

mkaeding
02-02-10, 12:09

I just received my BFG 10-speed. While not perfect, I agree with Rob S that a large t-shirt goes a long way towards concealment of the rig.

See https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45586&referrerid=7846

Hopefully I posted the link correctly.

militarymoron
02-03-10, 11:12
The rifle is in a covert bag.

keep your chest rig with the rifle and put it on when you pull out your rifle. then it doesn't make a difference whether the chest rig is overt since you've got a rifle in your hands.
if you want to switch back to 'covert', you'll have to stow the rifle anyways. take the chest rig off then and stow it with the rifle.
an OSOE micro chest rig can be worn bandoleer style over one shoulder (for quicker donning) or on the chest.