PDA

View Full Version : Polishing the feed ramps on a 1911?

smokenssz
01-31-10, 14:51
I have heard of people doing this what do yall think? I heard it makes feeding alittle smoother. Thanks

MarshallDodge
01-31-10, 15:02
I have heard of people doing this what do yall think? I heard it makes feeding alittle smoother. Thanks

If the gun runs then don't mess with it.

If you are concerned about reliability then send it to a reputable 1911 gunsmith for a reliability package. This includes a ramp polish and throating the barrel which will help when running certain hollow point ammo.

smokenssz
01-31-10, 15:03
BTW Im not talking about removing any material with any type of grinding wheel. Im talking about a felt wheel with alittle polishing compound:D. Im curious if it would benefit the gun at all.

smokenssz
01-31-10, 15:07
If the gun runs then don't mess with it.

If you are concerned about reliability then send it to a reputable 1911 gunsmith for a reliability package. This includes a ramp polish and throating the barrel which will help when running certain hollow point ammo.

Hmmm Ill look into it but I'am a do it yourself kind of person and pretty handy at times. ;)

Business_Casual
01-31-10, 15:45
Hmmm Ill look into it but I'am a do it yourself kind of person and pretty handy at times. ;)

I wonder how many 1911s have died an early death after hearing those words?

M_P

smokenssz
01-31-10, 15:46
I wonder how many 1911s have died an early death after hearing those words?

M_P

Probably alot I'm sure however Im not talking about a drastic modification. Im talking about lightly polishing the feed ramps.

nismo1013
01-31-10, 15:50
Funny... I just did this last night. Had a Para P-16 with some issues feeding SWC. A dremmel and a little polishing compound did the trick. Just make sure to err on the side of too little, not too much. ;)

smokenssz
01-31-10, 16:02
Yea I would differently go with enough is enough and more is too much. I was thinking compound and a low speed on a dremel. So it helped your gun huh?

John_Wayne777
01-31-10, 16:05
The most important aspect of the feed ramp is the geometry. So long as the ramp doesn't have major gouges that are interfering with feed, it's best to leave it alone. A mirror-like finish is not necessary for proper feeding, although having one (as long as you don't change the geometry of the ramp) doesn't hurt anything either. Many a 1911 has been done in by a well-meaning amateur with a Dremel.

nismo1013
01-31-10, 16:20
Yea I would differently go with enough is enough and more is too much. I was thinking compound and a low speed on a dremel. So it helped your gun huh?

It did. I just used the speed setting 1, with a felt wheel and 421 Compound. Very light. Keep in mind, this 1911 was feeding ball ammo fine, I was just having a few FTFs with semi wadcutter. I checked my overall lengths and they were g2g, so I commenced with the cleaning. Took my mags apart, cleaned the pistol, and lightly polished my feed ramp. Worked like a champ. I can only speak to my experience, and by no means am I an expert. Heed everyone's advice here. There's a wealth of knowledge at your disposal. "Measure twice, cut once," "An apple a day.." and all that crap.