PDA

View Full Version : Green Berets on 60 Minutes Tonight

Captains1911
01-31-10, 19:04
Anybody catch this story, particularly the part where the two kids in the back of the truck were accidentally shot? The soldier said he fired two warning shots at the ground in front of the truck that was about 50 meters away and moving towards him. How the hell do both of those rounds end up striking kids that were riding in the back of the truck???

standsalone
01-31-10, 19:11
not yet , as I am in the PRofCA but I have set the dvr to record it so I can see...

decodeddiesel
01-31-10, 19:28
Isn't it awesome that our SOF forces in Afghanistan get 14 whole minutes followed by Shawn-****ing-White. :rolleyes:

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 19:38
Took the wife out for dinner and the whole time I was starring past her at the TV attempting to watch it......with no sound. She caught on quick and that was over. Will it be aired again? I really liked the bits and pieces I could see.

Ky Cop

Cold Zero
01-31-10, 19:41
I missed it too. When will it be repeated ?

Sone
01-31-10, 19:45
Anybody catch this story, particularly the part where the two kids in the back of the truck were accidentally shot? The soldier said he fired two warning shots at the ground in front of the truck that was about 50 meters away and moving towards him. How the hell do both of those rounds end up striking kids that were riding in the back of the truck???

I was wondering the same thing, one shot in the chest and other on the back side of his thigh while riding in the back of the truck,

SteyrAUG
01-31-10, 19:47
Isn't it awesome that our SOF forces in Afghanistan get 14 whole minutes followed by Shawn-****ing-White. :rolleyes:

It ain't Shawns fault. Last time I checked he was an American too. And even in the brief 14 minutes given, I thought they managed a respectful portrayal of US special forces doing a difficult job.

As for the shot kids, I suspect the GB tried to come close to the truck but not that close. ****ing shame, not just for the kids who got hit, but only makes things harder over there.

Irish
01-31-10, 20:08
Watch it here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6160161n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

AND Shawn White brought home the gold for America at the Olympics, I think that's cool and worthy of a story.

Irish
01-31-10, 20:27
I think they did a pretty good job on the story without demonizing the SF guys and giving them credit for doing an extremely difficult job.

M4arc
01-31-10, 20:30
I'll download the podcast and watch it. Thanks for the heads up.

photosniper
01-31-10, 20:33
I caught the last seven minutes or so. Thought it was a respectable portrayal of what are SF guys are doing over there and the difficulties they face. I was extremely surprised that they showed the serious wounds the kids suffered, there was a time that the media never showed graphic images like that. Thankfully, the reporter didn't crucify the SF for the accidental shoot.

decodeddiesel
01-31-10, 20:35
Watch it here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6160161n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

AND Shawn White brought home the gold for America at the Olympics, I think that's cool and worthy of a story.

That's true, I really don't have anything against Shawn, in fact I wish him luck in the upcoming Olympics. My beef I guess is just far more widespread with the media and their general and utter lack of coverage they are giving this war. I just feel that the story of SOF in A-stan deserves more than 14 minutes of prime time coverage.

ETA: Two and a half months of embedded reporting for a 13 minute segment?!? Please tell me there going to be a follow on.

Irish
01-31-10, 20:38
That's true, I really don't have anything against Shawn, in fact I wish him luck in the upcoming Olympics. My beef I guess is just far more widespread with the media and their general and utter lack of coverage they are giving this war. I just feel that the story of SOF in A-stan deserves more than 14 minutes of prime time coverage.

I agree brother! Nobody acts like we're even at war anymore... sad state of affairs.

Oscar 319
01-31-10, 20:46
Thanks for the link Irish. Watching it now. You are the M4C news authority. ;)

Belmont31R
01-31-10, 20:49
Tough luck for those kids. Feel bad for them...

Seeing lots and lots of Elcan's showing up on SF's guns.

Irish
01-31-10, 20:53
Thanks for the link Irish. Watching it now. You are the M4C news authority. ;)

There's one in every crowd :) I actually stumbled on it trying to figure out when the broadcast would be here. Lucky me it was staring me in the face on their site.

Belmont31R
01-31-10, 21:01
Also there is a special on Natl Geo at 9PM CST (5 minutes from now) on Marines in Afghanistan.

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 21:13
I am watching the CAMP LEATHERNECK on the NatGeo. Looks good. Say, anyone get a good enough look to see what those SOF guys vests were. I rewinded it over and over and still couldn't figure out the GB working on the accidental shooting kids or the GB who stopped the truck and motorcycle. Driving me nuts. 2 months for a 14 min show seems like a waste. I hope and they should make it a series to follow these guys as they fight for us. And I agree, thanks for making it hot for us Irish!

Ky Cop

parishioner
01-31-10, 21:14
Was it just me or did that reporter really seem to enjoy those interviews.

I think it was a good piece overall. It gave the average joe a chance to see what some are actually doing over there. It also showed how in war, shit happens.

That really is unbelievable that the rounds struck those kids.

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 21:23
just a add on for a guy who has not much knowledge of the armed forces. Apologies up front as I am not offending anyone on purpose. As I watch this Marine documentary, do they have a specialized unit like the army's rangers or green berets? Thanks again and I appreciate all they do for us.

Ky Cop

Captains1911
01-31-10, 21:24

I think it was a good piece overall. It gave the average joe a chance to see what some are actually doing over there. It also showed how in war, shit happens.

That really is unbelievable that the rounds struck those kids.

I would do dirty dirty things to Laura Logan, I don't know what it is about her, perhaps the accent, but she excite me:D

parishioner
01-31-10, 21:27
just a add on for a guy who has not much knowledge of the armed forces. Apologies up front as I am not offending anyone on purpose. As I watch this Marine documentary, do they have a specialized unit like the army's rangers or green berets? Thanks again and I appreciate all they do for us.

Ky Cop

They do. Ask Travis Haley about it. :)

Irish
01-31-10, 21:30

Ky Cop

There's a couple off the top of my head Marine Recon and Force Recon.

PanzerMeyer
01-31-10, 21:34

Absolutely she enjoys interviewing SOF warriors....check out this one from a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plk8fRSsrgc

Irish
01-31-10, 21:39
Absolutely she enjoys interviewing SOF warriors....check out this one from a few years ago:

She's good looking and a brave woman & journalist to be over there bringing the story to us.

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 21:39
Recon......! I forgot about them. Thanks, I was sitting here trying to think what specialized unit's the Marine's operate and couldn't think of a single one. I wonder where Laura Logan sleeps for 2 months with a bunch guys????

Ky cop

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 21:45

Yep! She definitely blows wind up my skirt. Very impressive.....and not a bad reporter at all. Smart, educated, beautiful, and wearing body armor. Whats not to like...;)

SeriousStudent
01-31-10, 21:45
Indeed. Mr. Haley was a member of a very skilled and discreet group of Marines that conducts a varied range of missions. They are referred to as Marine Force Reconnaissance Companies, and are considered a MEF (Marine Expeditionary Force) asset.

There is a relatively new assignment for Marines as well:

http://www.marsoc.usmc.mil/

PanzerMeyer
01-31-10, 21:47
She's good looking and a brave woman & journalist to be over there bringing the story to us.

She is both at that. And I like that she doesn't really bring the liberal-media agenda to the fore-front with these spots, at least not that I can tell. Then again, I can be dull when it comes to perceiving agendas:o.

RogerinTPA
01-31-10, 21:48
Recon......! I forgot about them. Thanks, I was sitting here trying to think what specialized unit's the Marine's operate and couldn't think of a single one. I wonder where Laura Logan sleeps for 2 months with a bunch guys????

Ky cop

Most of the Recon folks have been folded into the relatively new MARSOC (Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command), which are trained by and fall under USSOCOM.

Spooky130
01-31-10, 21:49
I wonder how "****tard" is translated for the Afghanis?

Spooky

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 21:50
Indeed. Mr. Haley was a member of a very skilled and discreet group of Marines that conducts a varied range of missions. They are referred to as Marine Force Reconnaissance Companies, and are considered a MEF (Marine Expeditionary Force) asset.

There is a relatively new assignment for Marines as well:

http://www.marsoc.usmc.mil/

Appreciate it. I enjoy reading and learning about the armed forces and wasn't up on my game when it comes to the particular branch. Very cool to say the least. Reading a book right now called "My men are my heros" ...the Brad Kasal story. Very good thus far. It was recommended for a leadership class I took.

clickclack
01-31-10, 22:00
I wonder how "****tard" is translated for the Afghanis?

Spooky

lol i peed a little

Iraq Ninja
01-31-10, 22:24
just a add on for a guy who has not much knowledge of the armed forces. Apologies up front as I am not offending anyone on purpose. As I watch this Marine documentary, do they have a specialized unit like the army's Rangers or green berets? Thanks again and I appreciate all they do for us.

Ky Cop

While they do have elite units, I don't think any of them have the same roles as the Rangers and Special Forces. Each are unique.

bundoc
01-31-10, 22:29
I was also surprised how two warning shots managed to wound two children. This story reinforced how easy my life is in college. I thank all of my family, friends and others serving our country. The reporter is definitely beautiful.

standsalone
01-31-10, 22:48

well i am not gonna speculate on that specific situation , but I have seen rounds skip up and hit people off a hardball road when the lead on the target getting the warning was incorrect.

as far as recon and ranger bn goes , they have a completely different mission and training than group does. apples and oranges really. Not to say any one is any better than the others , just different missions.

Kentucky Cop
02-01-10, 10:12
Here is my favorite reporter/anchor. ;)

http://www.lex18.com/news/kristen-pflum-lex-18-news-weekend-anchor/general-assignment-reporter/

Ky Cop

motoduck
02-01-10, 10:43
Nice, maybe I will have to start watching 60 minutes again?

parishioner
02-03-10, 23:30
I found this article...http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,165888,00.html

Its slightly dated but I was wondering if anyone "in the know" has a take on this and could explain this a little better.

Combat_Diver
02-04-10, 00:30
Missed the show, tough call when firing warning shots as you need to get the drivers attention and valiate the golden rule of always knowing your target and what is behind it. Last week 3/3rd SFG just lost a CPT David Thompson here in Afghanistan, may he rest in peace.

MARSOC has a very similiar mission to SF it that they are training in UW.

CD

dookie1481
02-04-10, 02:23

ETA: Two and a half months of embedded reporting for a 13 minute segment?!? Please tell me there going to be a follow on.

Like it or not, most people in this country care more about Shaun White than they do about us fighting a war in a faraway land. They are reporting the news accordingly.

Jay

dookie1481
02-04-10, 02:26

Ky Cop

Yes, the USMC's Reconnaissance units (Battalion and Force) are much better trained than your average grunt. However, the Marines pride themselves on the egalitarian nature of their ass-kickery and thus try not to recognize or promote any perceived superiority of a particular unit or MOS.

Jay