PDA

View Full Version : posting pictures

tinman44
04-02-07, 01:39
every forum has a different set of rules for posting pictures. can someone tell me how these guys are posting such high res pictures? i have a 7 megapixel camera and the pictures are very detailed but to big to post here according to the rules.

xenophobe
04-10-07, 06:56
Well, you need some kind of editing program (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or something comparable) and reduce the image size to a width of 800 pixels or less.

You could set your camera to take much smaller pictures, but I'm not sure if a 7+megapixel camera can take an 800x600 without resizing it.

Your camera should have come with some kind of photo editing software. You'll need to see if it's installed and learn how to use some of the basic features.

After taking a picture, instead of using the default program to download the picture, I use Photoshop to import the pictures directly from my camera. At that point I crop and resize, and then upload to imageshack. One picture takes about 3 minutes to download, edit and upload. I also use the imageshack plugin, so all I need to do is right click on an image on my computer and select "upload to imageshack" so it's relatively easy. If you want more specific information, feel free to ask more specific questions.

platoonDaddy
07-23-10, 18:38
I am using MS Office Picture manager and when I resize it, I still can't get it below 19K.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

bulbvivid
07-23-10, 18:56
I am using MS Office Picture manager and when I resize it, I still can't get it below 19K.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Is there a reason you want it lower than 19k? Or did you mean 190k? And even then, is there a reason why?

I just resized a pic to 800x533, and it is 276k. I don't see any problem with posting something like that.

I haven't used it because I have other software, but Google's Picasa is well regarded and free and may give you finer controls than MS Office Picture Manager.

bulbvivid
07-23-10, 19:00
Shoulda looked at the date on the OP. Wish it showed somewhere on the recent post page.

tampam4
07-23-10, 19:35

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Microsoft Paint > top toolbar "Image"> Resize/skew. Use the top two windows to change your value, and make sure you resize down same % both top windows to maintain same image, only smaller. For a 7MP camera, you should be fine by entering 25% in both windows. If you want to maintain the original 7mp photo, don't forget to use "save as" when you go to save the smaller photo, otherwise you overwrite original 7mp photo with smaller one.

platoonDaddy
07-23-10, 19:39
[QUOTE=bulbvivid;714370]Is there a reason you want it lower than 19k? Or did you mean 190k? And even then, is there a reason why?

[ QUOTE]

When I attempt an upload of a *.bmp file to this forum I receive the following:

Your file of 56.3 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

bulbvivid
07-23-10, 19:41
[QUOTE=bulbvivid;714370]Is there a reason you want it lower than 19k? Or did you mean 190k? And even then, is there a reason why?

[ QUOTE]

Your file of 56.3 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

Why a .bmp as opposed to .jpg?

platoonDaddy
07-23-10, 19:47
[QUOTE=platoonDaddy;714387]

Why a .bmp as opposed to .jpg?

Great question (don't know the answer): when I saved the picture from the internet, it defaulted to *.bmp. Attempted to change it to *.jpg that is a no-go. Even in Picture Manager, I am unable to save it as a *.jpg.

bulbvivid
07-23-10, 19:52
[QUOTE=bulbvivid;714389]

Great question (don't know the answer): when I saved the picture from the internet, it defaulted to *.bmp. Attempted to change it to *.jpg that is a no-go. Even in Picture Manager, I am unable to save it as a *.jpg.

Email it to me and I'll convert it and send it back.

paulb
08-01-10, 20:45
get a program called PhotoScape, its free. just google it. it allows u to save a pic in a designated file in a range of formats(jpeg, bitmap, etc).
pm me if u need help

Stickman
08-01-10, 22:07

Use JPEG, not bitmap.