PDA

View Full Version : Low self-discharge NiMH batteries

MarshallDodge
01-31-10, 23:09
My frustration with NiMH rechargeable batteries had gotten to the point where I had gone back to alkalines on things like my GPS, flashlights, cameras, etc. The problem was that I used them so infrequently that when I did need them they were dead or close to it.

I was looking around for a solution that I could keep NiMH batteries trickle-charged so they would be ready in case of a power outage or just an outing with the camera or GPS. My other thought was to have something that I could charge with a portable solar array while in the field.

I discovered that there was a product developed by Sanyo called the Eneroop battery which solved the issue. They guarantee that the battery will not self discharge more than 35% in a year. Some of the standard NiMH batteries I have been using seem to discharge about 50% in a month and are dead shortly after that. These newer NiMH batteries come out of the package nearly fully charged and are being made by other manufacturers now.

There was a guy on one of the flashlight forums that tested a set. He was able to see 40 minutes of runtime on a fully charged set and 36 minutes after letting them sit for a year. Pretty impressive so I picked up a couple sets and a charger to give them a try.

Has anyone else had experience with these?

Dennis
02-04-10, 15:17
Yup, these are a great new technology. Cheaper than Lithium-ion without the associated risks. They are also other sizes by other manufacturers and they have all worked very well for me.

Check out http://www.batteryjunction.com/ (I'm just a very happy customer!)

Dennis.

tr1kstanc3
02-04-10, 15:36
The Eneloop batteries are great. I use them in an Eotech 512 and also in my Xbox360 controllers. They definitely have low self-discharge as my game controllers are running months at a time on a single charge. Excellent batteries and hoping they come out with a higher mah rated version.

Chooie
02-04-10, 15:42
I also use Eneloops in AA and AAA sizes. I use them mostly in flashlights, but they're also perfect for remote controls and game controllers. I keep an Eneloop 2xAA/AAA USB charger in my computer bag for when I travel, that way I always have the ability to charge flashlight batteries on the road or when traveling internationally. (I bring a 1xAA Nitecore D10 with me along with my usual Surefires).

Vic303
02-04-10, 20:00
Low self discharge batteries are great, but they do lack some charge capacity. Most of the AA ones I see are at best 2100mah, while regular NiMhs are 2600-2700mah. But holding the charge is a great feature and generally outweighs the lower capacity to me.

A rechargeable cr123 lithium has been created too, (also lower capacity) but is unable to spontaneously combust. Look for the LiFePO4 chemistry ones. Lighthound.com carries them and the proper charger.