PDA

View Full Version : UBR question

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 00:30
On the instructions for installation of the magpul ubr it says to use a 5/8" armorers wrench to torque the supplied receiver extension 35-39 ft. pds. of torque. Has anyone here had any problems from just hand tightening it?

252actual
02-01-10, 00:40
hand tightening it as in using your hand only? or hand tightening it meaning using a wrench but no torque wrench?

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 00:47
hand tightening it as in using your hand only? or hand tightening it meaning using a wrench but no torque wrench?

Using a wrench but no torque wrench. I used the hole in the middle of the castle nut wrench that fits over the knob that protrudes from the end of the reciever extension

Belmont31R
02-01-10, 01:36
Snug it up well and it will be ok.

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 01:42
Snug it up well and it will be ok.

Any thoughts on using blue loctite?

Belmont31R
02-01-10, 01:56
Any thoughts on using blue loctite?

I would not loctite the rec ext to the lower. Keep in mind the rec ext is then held in place with the stock unit, and the screw goes in the back of the stock, and into the rec extension. You rotate the screw in clockwise, and then the stock locks into the lower. For the rec ext to come loose that screw has to back out. The rec ext would have to rotate counter clockwise, and would theoretically tighten itself further into the screw. Its a secure system provided things are tightened down well. IIRC that scew has loctite on it out of the box.

Id just tighten the rec ext down to where its hand tight using the armorers wrench and without using any type of leverage. Just hold the lower, and tighten it down. Its not going to go anywhere.

ETA: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 02:27
I would not loctite the rec ext to the lower. Keep in mind the rec ext is then held in place with the stock unit, and the screw goes in the back of the stock, and into the rec extension. You rotate the screw in clockwise, and then the stock locks into the lower. For the rec ext to come loose that screw has to back out. The rec ext would have to rotate counter clockwise, and would theoretically tighten itself further into the screw. Its a secure system provided things are tightened down well. IIRC that scew has loctite on it out of the box.

Id just tighten the rec ext down to where its hand tight using the armorers wrench and without using any type of leverage. Just hold the lower, and tighten it down. Its not going to go anywhere.

ETA: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71

I had my doubts about it actually going anywhere, I just haven't fired it yet with the ubr installed so I just wanted to make sure before I did and also see what other peoples experiences with it were.

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 02:35
Has anybody else experienced a change in harmonics (probably not the right term) at all with the ubr installed? Now when I press the bolt release you can hear what I assume to be the buffer spring ratling around abit. It didn't used to make that noise. Would that be something I did or is that normal?

CLHC
02-01-10, 03:07
Has anybody else experienced a change in harmonics (probably not the right term) at all with the ubr installed? Now when I press the bolt release you can hear what I assume to be the buffer spring ratling around abit. It didn't used to make that noise. Would that be something I did or is that normal?
Don't know what you mean by "rattling" around, but on mine, when I do release the bolt you can hear the spring. That's all.

DaBears_85
02-01-10, 03:19
Don't know what you mean by "rattling" around, but on mine, when I do release the bolt you can hear the spring. That's all.

I just meant it's more audile now, the spring that is. Idk, if yours does it too I guess it's fine. I'm not worried about it or anything, just curious. It's gets kinda annoying is all.

El Mac
02-01-10, 07:59

Actually, I thought the UBR quietened down the "sproing" sound quite a bit.

jwfuhrman
02-01-10, 12:02
The buffer spring on AR's, of any type, sound like a Screen Door slamming..... I love it haha

Ridge_Runner_5
02-01-10, 13:06
That is the one thing I hate about ARs, the gritty screen door spring sound made every time the weapon is charged...