PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a new carbine before 1st shoot

ztf HITMAN
02-01-10, 14:40
What is the reccommended procedure??? Is it a normal clean/lube??

Marcus L.
02-01-10, 14:45
If you bought it new, it should have come with a operator's manual. If not, you can get one online. Clean and oil it as the manual tells you before you shoot it(normal cleaning/lubing). A lot of times you'll pick up on something you didn't know about it. During breakin, you want your bolt and areas of friction on the carrier group to be oiled generously.

ztf HITMAN
02-01-10, 14:50
Well, I put mine together from parts. No manual. Typically, it's just a routine cleaning, but I wondered if anyone had any other tips/ insight to an initial cleaning

Cerberus
02-01-10, 17:02
So long as you don't have any goopy glob of junk in your barrel, bolt and gas system, you really can get by with boresnaking the barrel and oiling the bolt well.

Eric
02-01-10, 17:57
Just a standard cleaning, which should be fairly quick on a new build. During the break-in, run it a tad heavy on the lube.

ztf HITMAN
02-01-10, 18:02
Just a standard cleaning, which should be fairly quick on a new build. During the break-in, run it a tad heavy on the lube.

How many rounds is a typical 'break in'?

bkb0000
02-01-10, 18:55
a rifle should be smoothly mated in 500 or so rounds. i don't know why everyone always says use MORE loob when breaking something in... i personally run a little on the DRY side when breaking in a brand new build. exaggerates any problems that it may have, and speeds up the break-in process.

mark5pt56
02-01-10, 19:11
It's not just cleaning and lubing it, it's also inspecting the parts to insure everything is squared away.

This is what I like to do after the above.

Zero sights/optics
Run a series of drills, including but not limited to checking the ammo, all mags carried and getting the gun working. No set number, but I would say at least 4-5 mags. I've found if a problem exist it will surface by then, although one can surface at anytime with any gun.
Recheck zero

Now as far as how much lube? I've yet to see one not work because it had to much, however-plenty that didn't. I shoot with a guy that for some odd reason doesn't grasp the concept of lubing weapons. Why, I don't know, but he doesn't have to incorporate malfunction drills.

Eric
02-01-10, 19:26
Now as far as how much lube? I've yet to see one not work because it had to much, however-plenty that didn't.
Indeed. It drives me nuts when I have to pull someone off the line because they can't figure out why they are getting malfunctions, just to find out they have a dry weapon.

I don't think there is a magic number of rounds to consider it broken in. 500 should be good to get most surfaces worn in I guess. I like to get 1K through one before I rely on it.

madisonsfinest
02-01-10, 20:10
I get the globs of grease off and use some CLP to lube it up.

shootist~
02-01-10, 23:32
Good suggestions on beak-in /cleaning from Noveske Rifle Works below, plus there's an excellent sticky on general AR cleaning in this forum.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf

Quib
02-03-10, 07:01
I feel with any new factory built weapon, that the following is a good suggestion:

- Disassemble
- Clean
- Inspect
- Lube
- Reassemble
- Function Check

For a home built weapon, you’re the Assembler, Quality Assurance and Quality Control. In these circumstances during the assembly process you see first hand the quality or serviceability of the parts throughout the build. In those cases, I simply:

- Disassemble
- Lube
- Reassemble
- Function Check

RogerinTPA
02-03-10, 08:24
How many rounds is a typical 'break in'?

1000-1500 rounds to prove the entire weapon system for reliability, and not just the barrel. Ensuring parts won't break and everything operates as advertised. With enough lube so it looks and is wet to the touch. It also is the typical round count in a carbine course. So if you are planning on doing a few of them annually, that round count should be the bench mark for reliability.

crrider
02-04-10, 21:15
Good suggestions on beak-in /cleaning from Noveske Rifle Works below, plus there's an excellent sticky on general AR cleaning in this forum.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf

So it says not to pull a brush or jag back through the barrel, are you supposed to unscrew it? I thought it was OK as long as the brush went all the way through before bringing it back in and as long as you don't bring a dirty patch back through.
Am I not tracking here?

markm
02-04-10, 21:23
I don't buy off on this break in nonsense for an AR. I do, however, believe in getting several hundred rounds through a weapon to insure that it establishes a groove with no breakage or other problems.

bkb0000
02-04-10, 21:30
So it says not to pull a brush or jag back through the barrel, are you supposed to unscrew it? I thought it was OK as long as the brush went all the way through before bringing it back in and as long as you don't bring a dirty patch back through.
Am I not tracking here?

blah on that.. i've always run the brush through both ways, even through stainless barrels. just start at the breach end, so you don't **** up the crown.

ztf HITMAN
02-04-10, 21:30
I don't buy off on this break in nonsense for an AR. I do, however, believe in getting several hundred rounds through a weapon to insure that it establishes a groove with no breakage or other problems.

Can you explain this? (no, I'm not being sarcastic)

shootist~
02-04-10, 23:11
Am I not tracking here?

Yes *for me* on unscrewing the jag or brush before pulling the rod back through, although I just started this recently. And damn little use of the brush.

It seems to makes sense but what do I know, other than seeing accuracy go to hell in a few by going at it too aggressively. And I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but one or two premium barrel makers say the same thing about brushes as Noveske (thought I had a link, but I've lost it). Anyway, less cleaning strokes can't damage anything.

YMMV and all that.

panzerr
02-05-10, 02:30

Just clean it and don't over-think it. Your carbine can fire a few thousand rounds without a hiccup if properly lubed.

RogerinTPA
02-05-10, 10:13
Can you explain this? (no, I'm not being sarcastic)

Not Markm but,

Barrel break in, not necessary with chrome lined barrels.

System break in/prove the weapon/deemed it reliable, for a carbine course or bet your life on.....necessary, at least for me.

What I look for:

-ensuring that the extractor is functioning properly
-ejects properly
-bolt lugs aren't cracked or cracking
-not short stroking
-Mag well dimensions, not a tight fit and can properly cycle with my stash of mags, Pmags and USGI, D&H, ect.
-weapon cycles with correct buffer weight (Carbine or H-1)
-functions with a wide variety of ammo (Brass 5.56 thru Wolf)....etc...

What round count you choose to do this, is up to what an individual thinks it should be, based on his/hers use.

IMHO, it will depend on what side of the chart your weapon falls to, and what rate you expend those rounds. 500-1000 rounds spread over what time frame? A weekend (Ideally if you plan on training a lot), a month, 6 months, a year, 2 years? The shorter the time span, the more you can gauge what your weapon can handle.

ztf HITMAN
02-05-10, 10:22
Not Markm but,

Barrel break in, not necessary with chrome lined barrels.

System break in/prove the weapon/deemed it reliable, for a carbine course or bet your life on.....necessary, at least for me.

What I look for:

-ensuring that the extractor is functioning properly
-ejects properly
-bolt lugs aren't cracked or cracking
-not short stroking
-Mag well dimensions, not a tight fit and can properly cycle with my stash of mags, Pmags and USGI, D&H, ect.
-weapon cycles with correct buffer weight (Carbine or H-1)
-functions with a wide variety of ammo (Brass 5.56 thru Wolf)....etc...

What round count you choose to do this, is up to what an individual thinks it should be, based on his/hers use.

IMHO, it will depend on what side of the chart your weapon falls to, and what rate you expend those rounds. 500-1000 rounds spread over what time frame? A weekend (Ideally if you plan on training a lot), a month, 6 months, a year, 2 years? The shorter the time span, the more you can gauge what your weapon can handle.

Thanks, bro. I've been shooting black rifles for about 6 years. I don't pretend to know everything, so I ask alot of questions. I appreciate the info. As my knowledge on the subject progressed, so has my choice in carbine. I started with BM, then went to S&W M&P, and now I have a BCM middy. I'm being anal and want to do everything right.

RogerinTPA
02-05-10, 12:03
Thanks, bro. I've been shooting black rifles for about 6 years. I don't pretend to know everything, so I ask alot of questions. I appreciate the info. As my knowledge on the subject progressed, so has my choice in carbine. I started with BM, then went to S&W M&P, and now I have a BCM middy. I'm being anal and want to do everything right.

I forgot to add "Carrier/Gas key getting loose".

I understand. Everyone wants a weapon to run as reliable as possible, for their intended uses. Don't worry about asking questions. We are all here to help.

LongRider
02-08-10, 16:35
Gale McMillan builder of the most accurate barrels on earth. Designer and maker of the McMillan Tactical Tac-50 the rifle used to make the longest confirmed sniper shot in history. A kill shot from over one and a half miles away. Whose rifle barrels held seven world records at the same time and far more during the course of his life. He says, that barrel break in is a total waste of time and may cause damage to the barrel, from excessive improper cleaning. He says he has little experience with chrome lined barrels and they may benefit from have some rounds fired through them to smooth out any imperfections from the chrome plating process.

After cleaning & lubeing your weapon, barrel included of course BushMaster recommends running several hundred rounds and only cleaning when accuracy becomes affected.

Personally I clean my weapon with Gunzilla wipe it down and call it good. Gunzilla leaves excellent dry lube that has my AR run much cleaner and cooler. Than just break the gun in as a whole in make sure all the parts mate well and operate smoothly. After a 500 to 1,000 rounds without any failures it is a reliable go to weapon

ColdDeadHands
02-08-10, 17:16
Am I not tracking here?

I unscrew it...not a big deal. John Noveske told me that properly made barrels don't require break-in.