PDA

View Full Version : FNAR

BradA
02-01-10, 15:41
I am looking at adding a 308 to my safe and have been looking at the FN FNAR. Anyone had any experience with one? Any pro's of con's compared to a good AR10?

GermanSynergy
02-01-10, 17:54
The main thing that kept me from buying one was that FN wants you to return the rifle to the factory for cleaning, IIRC...

Watchman
02-02-10, 20:37
A friend of mine has the heavy barrel version and likes it just fine. It's a good shooter with a very good trigger. Very accurate for a chrome lined barrel.

I've only heard of two complaints..

Trigger sometimes is not as good as advertised and isn't adjustable.

There is something about breaking it down to clean, a screw or something that is easy to break.

The only other comment I've heard about it is 'not exactly a battle rifle' but everything seems to indicate heavy duty about it.

It's on my list to get at some point.

BradA
02-12-10, 11:02
Well as an update. I picked the FNAR up day before yesterday. Now if the damn rain will stop long enough for me to sight it in and see what it can do!

Evil Colt 6920
02-12-10, 11:11
Well as an update. I picked the FNAR up day before yesterday. Now if the damn rain will stop long enough for me to sight it in and see what it can do!

Yeah this rain sucks:mad: How bout posting a pic or two of your new toy.:D Id like to know what you think about it once you get a chance to shoot it. I want a 308 also but still looking at my options.

2112co
02-12-10, 13:03
I have the heavy fluted barrel. Only have 60 rounds thru it, but its a smooth gun. Breakdown is a chore, but you can find a few references on the FNAR forum. The mags are pricey and the 10 rounders are pretty scarce.
Like to hear what you think when you sight it in...

BradA
02-22-10, 13:06
Ok 100 rounds into it now. Still fine turning it, but out of the few factory rounds i have tried so far, it likes the Hornady TAP FRD 168 gn. the best. Best group @ 200 yards is under 1" biggest group is about 3". Larger groups should probably be blamed more on me and the wind than the rifle. Recoil in almost nill. Now to start working on hand loads with a buddy of mine and see what we can get. Will keep everyone updated and will try to get a few picts up in the next day or so.

C4IGrant
02-22-10, 14:10
I am looking at adding a 308 to my safe and have been looking at the FN FNAR. Anyone had any experience with one? Any pro's of con's compared to a good AR10?

This is one of the best auto-loading 308's available IMHO. with a cost of around $1300, hammer forged barrel and EXCELLENT accruacy, it is a winner.

C4

BradA
02-22-10, 14:54
So far I dont have anything to complain about, but time will tell.

BradA
02-22-10, 15:46
Well this week really just got good! Get to play with the FNAR a little more tomorrow and my aimpoint and magnifier that I ordered dirt cheap just arived!

tactical1
02-22-10, 16:14
head over to www.fnforums.net for some insights to the rifle; there are some parts that fail due to improper heat treatment, etc. Spares are now available.

Mags used be impossible to get, now just expensive.

BradA
02-26-10, 12:07
Few picts of new toy and added Aimpoint to AR

No Bananas
02-27-10, 10:36
If you don't send it back for cleaning than how should you clean it. From the muzzle? A Bore Snake? Would a Bore snake run the risk of damaging the crown or chamber?

lwhazmat5
03-12-10, 13:44
My biggest drawback when I had one (heavy barrel) was the availability of extra mags! I wonder how much difference there is between the Winchester SNAR (I think?) and the FNFAR?

BradA
03-12-10, 14:16
It is the same basic rifle. But only problem is the mags are the same price and nothing is out yet as far as aftermarket that I have been able to find so far. Other than that I love mine. It holds well below sub MOA at 200 yards. Thats the longest range ive been able to shoot on so far.

carbinero
03-12-10, 16:20
Other than the stock and chrome lining, how is it different from the hunting BAR version? I must say, I was surprised to see Grant reflect so positively. Has anyone tried it in a weekend multi-thousand round course?

scanda
03-30-10, 13:37
Just wondering, I mean no offense.:D

Why would anyone buy this instead of a M1A at about the same price?

geminidglocker
03-30-10, 14:24
IT"S THE UGLIEST RIFLE I'VE SEEN IN AHWILE.:(

Gramps
03-30-10, 15:38
DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY BUY WEAPONS BASED ON LOOKS? :confused:

OR FUNCTIONALITY? :confused:

OR ARE THEY PURCHASED JUST FOR SOMETHING TO SHOW OFF TO THEIR BUDDIES? :confused:

OR ARE THEY TO GET THE JOB AT HAND DONE, AND PUT A THREAT DOWN? :confused:

I WOULD RATHER HAVE AN UGLY WEAPON AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH ONE PULL OF THE TRIGGER, RATHER THAN HAVE TO GO AFTER THE THREAT AND BEAT THEM OVER THE HEAD WITH SOME THING THAT WAS "GOOD LOOKING". :)

BUT THEN I'M FROM THE STRANGE SIDE.

Opps, to lazy to go back and rewrite with caps lock off.

BradA
03-30-10, 15:50
To each his own. I got the FNAR to try something different. I have nothing against the M1A at all and plan on adding one to my safe some day. It is just not what I wanted right now. I wanted something different so thats what I got. I have put 850 rounds through it so far and I am very impressed. Granted I have not shot at anything over 200 yeads so far due to the limitations of local ranges. But it does hold 5 shot groups averaging 1.5" or less 8 out of 10 times. The worst group I have had is 2.75" on a day with constant 15mph cross winds. And I will admit that that is more me than the rifle. Again not knocking the M1 it is a great platform but I give this rifle a strong A-. Only draw back so far is mag price.

carbinero
03-31-10, 00:25
Even if it took p-mags, other things holding me back are lack of ability to customize and difficulty to fieldstrip.

I also read at snipershide that "the action is a stressed component," but I haven't spent the time to figure out exactly how that is, or if it would make a difference to me.

Strikeforcewombat
03-31-10, 16:05
FNAR heavy owner here, picked mine up pretty much the second it became available. As people have said it is a very good shooter. Very accurate for an autoloader. Nice trigger IMO, I like the ability to adjust the gas screw when set up right. The recoil is little more then that of an AK. Though as people have said it is a royal pain to strip down and clean. As someone who got into weapons with the AR platform and the AK platforms like these where field stripping and cleaning is simple the transition will likely make you wanna rip your hair out alittle at first. At least for me. I didn't like the fact I had to turn to youtube to learn how to take the bolt carrier out.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuznnkmy2k this is the video wanna make it clear I didn't make it but I am thankful for the guy that did if he's on here lol).

tl:dr If you have the patience to get use to how to strip it and clean it. It truly is a wonderful rifle accurate, light kick, reliable as hell not to mention with a Leupold optic and a harris on it. Looks damn sexy and evil as a black rifle can be lol.

If you don't have the patience to get use to how to break it down(I can't blame you) I hear the LR308 is very good rifle for about the same price.

ADC
03-31-10, 23:40
The FNAR is a decent rifle, I like the heavier barrel, but its still basically a higher cap mag heavy barreled Browning BAR. Years ago when I was doing some general repairs I worked on quite a few, they are good semi autos for your seasonal hunter but they wont hold up to weekend after weekend blasting, and yea they are a pain to tear down compared to 308 ARs or M14s. The 300 Win mag models had even more problems, the Army tested a 300 Win Mag heavy barreled rifle some years back and found it would not hold up.............

carbinero
01-29-11, 05:28
Interesting development:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2321805

Russ D
01-31-11, 21:30
Interesting development:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2321805

It looks much better and I'll bet handles much better with that stock.